Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Chicago Public Library Added No Books in August!

CPL uses Overdrive,and there have been no new books added since early July. I wonder if that is the case with other libraries? Is it an Overdrive issue? I have noticed because I read some books that are released monthly, so I have been checking.

If this thread should be somewhere else, I apologize. Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It could be due to the economy. No one has much money these days, especially governments agencies that rely on tax money to run.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact the library and ask?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Harry, you are so pragmatic. I like it.

BOb
Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I just checked my library here in Phoenix, AZ. They have new books in August, and already can place holds for pre-release books in September.

It appears it is not Overdrive.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I heard that several libraries in the US, I think it was chicago was one of them, should close for a couple of days to save money. I dont remember where I read it.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I agree, calling the library is the best approach. However, asking why this month's romance books are not yet up is something I would rather do by email - too embarrasing
Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
As a lawyer, I am astonished every day how much of my advice is just common sense. Obviously, I wasn't using it when I started this thread. Not only did I email Chicago Public Library and ask about books, and they replied they were just late, I then emailed and asked what happened to the romance books, because those never made it onto the list.

They apologized, said it was a mistake, and said they would be available ASAP.

My local library does not offer ebooks, but it is part of a reciprocal arrangement with CPL. I must say, they have embraced ebooks. I am happy to support them (through my support of my local library).
Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Glad to hear that this story had a "happy ending" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Glad to hear that this story had a "happy ending" .
Old 09-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
As a lawyer, I am astonished every day how much of my advice is just common sense.

Considering your avatar, would you happen to be a tax attorney?

BOb
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Considering your avatar, would you happen to be a tax attorney?

BOb
Yes, that is it. I read the IRC all day long, and then Harlequin romances at night.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Yes, that is it. I read the IRC all day long, and then Harlequin romances at night.
Oh boy oh boy. I see why you would want to read light romances as night. The IRC is.... ug.

I am curious, as a tax attorney, what is your opinion of the fairtax.org bill? I know alot of people that derive their income from the current tax system are highly opposed to it.

BOb
Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I send an e-mail to San Francisco Public Library every week asking them to please add more EPUB books to the online collection. I figure if they see demand, they'll take action.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Oh boy oh boy. I see why you would want to read light romances as night. The IRC is.... ug.

I am curious, as a tax attorney, what is your opinion of the fairtax.org bill? I know alot of people that derive their income from the current tax system are highly opposed to it.

BOb
I don't really care if they change the tax system - there will always be planning to minimize whatever they put in place, so I will have a job. I am particularly distrustful of a VAT or sales tax - it seems regressive. Even if you provide a floor to avoid taxing basic spending, Bill Gates only spends a tiny portion of his income, and would end of paying much less tax. I think tax law and social goals should be intertwined. I started practice when earned income and unearned income were taxed at different rates. Earned income was taxed at a max of 50% and unearned income at 70%. While I think those amounts are too high, I think that is the right structure. We should design the tax system to reward what we as a society value (work). Those who just collect dividends reap a very high reward for living in this society, and since they don't pay employment taxes, they should pay somehow. If you reduced the tax on earned income to 20% max, and taxed unearned income at 50% max, that would actually encourage investment and spending, revitalizing the economy.

I'm sure that is more than you wanted to know. Just a topic I find interesting. BTW, I think the Internal Revenue Code is a beautiful thing, and I love reading it. Just not right before I go to bed.