Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #91
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Hey, Mr Bezos!
Take note: that is one mean monkey.
With green k eyes, too.

Sic'em boy!
I'm so monkey mad, I could even eat green bananas right now
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #92
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Very good hardware at excellent prices. Shame about the forked version of android though.
Yep, and personally, I'm happy to pay more for a Nexus device just to get vanilla Android, long-term support and updates. The price of freedom!

Great specs, though. I'm looking forward to an updated Nexus 10, which will hopefully soon be announced. Happy with the new Nexus 7, but between that and the 17" laptop, there is room for something in the 10" range.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #93
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Yep, and personally, I'm happy to pay more for a Nexus device just to get vanilla Android, long-term support and updates. The price of freedom!

Great specs, though. I'm looking forward to an updated Nexus 10, which will hopefully soon be announced. Happy with the new Nexus 7, but between that and the 17" laptop, there is room for something in the 10" range.
What's interesting here is that Amazon priced the new 7" HDX at the same price points as the new Nexus 7 - $229 & $269. If I had to pick between the two, I'd easily choose the Nexus.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #94
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What's interesting here is that Amazon priced the new 7" HDX at the same price points as the new Nexus 7 - $229 & $269. If I had to pick between the two, I'd easily choose the Nexus.
I totally missed that it wasn't a 32 GB Fire that costs $229, but the 16 GB one, so it's indeed the same price as the N7. Yep, in that case it's no contest and the Nexus 7 is the better option.

Looking at how I use my tablets, 16 GB wouldn't work for me. 32 GB seems to be the sweet spot. More wouldn't hurt, but 16 GB would definitely limit me. (Slow internet in the prairie here, so cloud services are only useful to me for smaller amounts of data.)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #95
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I'm debating on that, myself. Do I really need an Amazon tablet? They have the same resolution, storage, and ram. I might just go with the Nexus. I am getting rid of my Fire HD 7, either way.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #96
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7

Last edited by DreamWriter; 07-01-2017 at 09:12 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #97
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Here's a bunch from my backyard. Enjoy!

nom.. nom...
Old 09-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #98
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
IMO, this is a decent device for business. More and more companies (and the federal government) are moving to BYO devices for their employees. The Enterprise features are very important for this. I know that the last few jobs both DH and I have had were BYO device employers. Used to be only our phones were integrated with the company servers but nowadays that means our laptops and tablets (if we use one). More money out of the employees pockets but at least I can pick my hardware instead of being saddled with a 5yo laptop that takes 5 minutes to boot up and crashes every few hours. My 5yo MBP runs circles around company laptops.

That said I'll be moving up to to the Fire HDX 4G LTE Verizon version. Already have a Verizon family plan and it'll cost $10 monthly to add a tablet. All the apps I use are available in the Amazon app store and there's always side loading. I can even watch FIOS on my current Fire HD tablet. I was seriously considering an iPad but would rather save some money and stick with Amazon.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #99
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
OOOOOOH! Duck Dynasty!

Hubby just spent a fortune IMO on buying all of season 2-4 on Amazon to watch last weekend. He uses a Roku but once I get the Fire he gets my old one or I may just get him a HD one for Christmas.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #100
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm debating on that, myself. Do I really need an Amazon tablet? They have the same resolution, storage, and ram. I might just go with the Nexus. I am getting rid of my Fire HD 7, either way.
But the KFHDX has a better processor and a better Reader app. The Kindle android app is sucky.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #101
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
The ability to download Prime video for later viewing sold me. I have side-loaded a lot of movies on my Fire for just that reason. But when I tried to watch one on a plane, the video wasn't load enough. I will be interested to see if this one has a louder setting. Or maybe I will mayday that issue in the airport.

I can always give my older devices to my family. My husband is currently using my 7" kindle HD. I am using the 8.9", because I was in a graphic novel phase for while last year. But I am reading more and more magazines on the KF, and this will just make it better.

By now, I am as stuck in the Amazon ecosystem as my daughter is in the Apple ecosystem. There are some spirited conversations at our dinner table!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #102
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I just built a comparison chart in the wiki under https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Fire that covers all the tablet devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #103
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Here's Amazon's page on its accessibility features.
This is great! I love that finally have added accessibility features! Not just one but many. It's about time! Well worth the price increase.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #104
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
But the KFHDX has a better processor and a better Reader app. The Kindle android app is sucky.
I agree, it IS sucky. So it will be worth waiting to see how the new Reader app looks, and what people think of it. If we can add extra fonts, ok, if not, it might not be worth it, to me. Mantano with my preferred font is way better than the current Kindle Fire app.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #105
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
And the Nexus 7.2 has Google Play, the latest version of Android, rear cam, compass, and GPS; all features lacking in the HDX 7. When Android updates to KitKat, Nexus will get it and the HDX won't.

While the HDX has a better CPU, the Nexus isn't suffering with it's CPU. The tradeoffs for that additional bump in performance aren't worth it. Between the two, the Nexus 7.2 is easily the better tablet and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it over the HDX 7.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-25-2013 at 03:37 PM.