Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
They would need much shorter quotes now that books load so much faster
Simple then... Just use the Release Notes from the f/w upgrades...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
(moving back on topic) I had a use for the desktop for the first time in many months just yesterday. For some reason, my sync did not complete over WiFi. It kept hanging, leaving me without dictionaries. I did a sync over USB with the desktop, and all was well,so the sync over WiFi works just fine again.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #18
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
(moving back on topic) I had a use for the desktop for the first time in many months just yesterday. For some reason, my sync did not complete over WiFi. It kept hanging, leaving me without dictionaries. I did a sync over USB with the desktop, and all was well,so the sync over WiFi works just fine again.
Is sync required? I bought an Aura HD from Best Buy yesterday and am trying to get everything prepared for when it arrives tomorrow. I was planning on setting it up through wifi, and sideloading the books. I have a few books that I bought from kobo, but I was planning on loading the device entirely through Calibre. Is this possible? On another note, is it possible for me to pull down just one of the books if I choose to do that?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Is sync required? I bought an Aura HD from Best Buy yesterday and am trying to get everything prepared for when it arrives tomorrow. I was planning on setting it up through wifi, and sideloading the books. I have a few books that I bought from kobo, but I was planning on loading the device entirely through Calibre. Is this possible? On another note, is it possible for me to pull down just one of the books if I choose to do that?
Sync is not required, but if you didn't sync at all then you would have to update firmare, dictionaries, etc. manually.

You can download individual books to the device from your Kobo library without doing a full sync by searching for the book in the device's bookstore. If you already own the book it will show a download button instead of a buy button.

You can also control which books get synced and which don't during a full sync, so you could sideload books that you bought at Kobo and still do a full sync without ending up with two copies of the books you sideloaded.

If you go to the "My Library" page on the Kobo website, the books in the "I'm Reading" list are the ones that will be synced to your device(s). Deleting a book from the "I'm Reading" list will prevent it syncing to any device. Bookmarking the book in the "Purchased" list will add it back to the "I'm Reading" list..

(There are more options too, such as syncing a book's metadata without downloading its content.)

Edit: You can also use Calibre to manipulate the books that are synced to your device from Kobo, not just the ones that Calibre sideloads. So you can edit title/author/series metadata, add new covers, etc. and this won't affect the syncing of the books.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-11-2014 at 03:00 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Thank you Geoff--that answered my questions about sync. I'm getting very excited about the Kobo!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert