Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #31
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I always liked: for want of something to do / we keep slaying our small dragons / as the big one waits

Reminds me of my TBR pile sometimes.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #32
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Brill.... definitely fits me at times....as I suck down my third Gin on the rocks and ignore a huge pile of work I should've done last weak. Reminds me of a Tom Wait's song...Better off without a wife...another artist...who was big on Bukowski.....HUGE Tom Waits fan...pity I never saw him in concert but then again... I imagine he detests us as much as he loves us...or at least I hope as much...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #33
HSounes
HSounes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Guys, I'm selling my signed first edition Bukowski biography if anyone is interested in bidding....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charles-Buko...item4abdde7c20
HSounes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #34
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Just read that 'Pimp' recommendation... good stuff.

And finished 'Hollywood' - now need to get a copy of the movie 'Barfly'....
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #35
fum
Zealot
fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWII
As I remember it, and it is a long time ago i watched the movie, the book is the better deal.
fum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
roseprose
roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony prs-950 daily edition
Students and friends of mine who love Bukowski also love Denis Johnson. His stories in Jesus' Son are great. And check out his novels, especially Already Dead and Nobody Move.
roseprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #37
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Celine was the godfather of this genre... read him as well, not for the fainthearted...love Miller as well....
What would you call this genre?

Also, on the advice of some people here, I bought some John Fante, Celine, and Richard Braughtigan. I'm reading "Ask the Dust" by Fante right now. So far, I'm really digging it.
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #38
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Death on the Installment Plan was pretty amazing! As was Ask the Dust, and Wait till Spring Bandini. I need to buy Journey to the End of the Night next.
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #39
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
finally some poetry around here, among so many BS series

sadly, I've only read a little Bukowski. he's definitely an influential figure...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #40
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Start with Post Office.... Death on the installment Plan...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #41
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
You could give John Fante a try, or his son Dan Fante.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote