Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
pglaskowsky
pglaskowsky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
New Sony Reader coming?

My PRS-500 broke last week (no obvious damage, but dead lines on the screen). I checked with Sony, which wouldn't give me an exact price but admitted that screen replacement was still a $250 cost.

I went to Amazon to see how much they're selling for, and... they're no longer available.

There was an Amazon Marketplace seller offering units for $279, but even they seem to be gone now (I just went to find a URL to post here). Sony itself is also offering that price on sonystyle.com, and there are still a few units at local retailers.

I think this probably means that there's a new model coming and Sony is selling off the last of the old stock directly rather than through major channels like Amazon.

The other major possibility is that Sony has given up entirely on the ebook market.

Either way I've given up the idea of just replacing my Reader with another one, and repairing it is certainly out of the question at this point.

Anyone have any better insight into this situation?

. png
pglaskowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't know about insight, but I'd say it's unlikely that they're giving up on e-books at this point. As for a new model ... there have been speculations, but nothing, so far, that would be even be fit for the description "rumor."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
Well, Sony themselves were back ordered, so maybe the demand has finally depleted the current stock?
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Colt
Comrade Rising
Colt began at the beginning.

Location: Empire of Alaska, Occupied Florida, Territory Command
Device: Currently Pulp
It would be nice if companies would announce a new model before it comes out, well in advance... That way you have the choice of buying the older model (usually for less) or waiting for the newest model. I really want a Sony Reader but if they're coming out with a new one, I'd have to wait and see. Hopefully it's just them being not being able to keep up with demand. - Colt
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Dunno. Usually it's easy to find the link by searching for it, even if it's temporarily out of stock. I couldn't find it using "Sony Reader", "PRS-500", "PRS500", "Sony PRS-500", and other recommended searches. The system clearly new what I was talking about from its' related searches, but only links to the cradle, MEdge case, and leather covers came up.

Using google gave up the page link: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PRS500-Po.../dp/B000VI72YI

But it says, "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." Which IIRC is different from items that they expect are simply back-ordered - I think you can place a back-order order on other products.

Maybe they're bumping it out in favor of the Kindle? Anyone know what the expected release date is?
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I bet the PRS500 is in short supply because of the credit card offer.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I remember correctly, Amazon never actually sold the Readers ... they had a brief period when they could be pre-ordered, but they took it down, and, I believe, eventually canceled the pre-orders. They've had the accessories since launch though. Rather odd, actually.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
well bhphoto has them in stock http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_System.html
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Concerning a new device: in the video where PVI showcased its flexible screens, the guy said something about shipping these screens to both Sony/iRex in mid-2008. It might be just an example, who they could possibly ship these screens to... Expect flexible and larger devices in 2008 though, from Plastic Logic at least.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I for one would definately wait to see what happens or is announced in 2008. My Reader works fine and there is no reason to switch to any other reader at the moment. I'll just wait. No unit is all that better that I have to have it over the Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
It would be nice if companies would announce a new model before it comes out, well in advance... That way you have the choice of buying the older model (usually for less) or waiting for the newest model. I really want a Sony Reader but if they're coming out with a new one, I'd have to wait and see. Hopefully it's just them being not being able to keep up with demand. - Colt
There once was a man named Adam Osborn who made the first business portable (read suitcase sized) CP/M computer well before the days of the IBM PC. His first unit sold very well, so well in fact that he announced plans for the second model. Sales of the first model stopped as people decided to wait for the next model. He went broke and was never able to bring out the second model.

Some industries with short product cycles (like computer motherboards) go through announcements without an impact on their sales. Items with longer product cycles (as the Sony Reader seems to be) generally do not have that same flexibility.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
I suspect we should see something at CES.. see you there!

Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #13
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
If I remember correctly, Amazon never actually sold the Readers ... they had a brief period when they could be pre-ordered, but they took it down, and, I believe, eventually canceled the pre-orders. They've had the accessories since launch though. Rather odd, actually.
you are right, could this something to do with Amazon wanting to get their reader into the market with a fighting chance..?

F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

It certainly could, except they're still mum on the subject of their reader ... maybe holding out for Vizplex?

There could also be any number of other reasons for it to be so.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 AM   #15
westsan
Enthusiast
westsan is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglaskowsky View Post
I went to Amazon to see how much they're selling for, and... they're no longer available.

There was an Amazon Marketplace seller offering units for $279, but even they seem to be gone now (I just went to find a URL to post here). Sony itself is also offering that price on sonystyle.com, and there are still a few units at local retailers.

I think this probably means that there's a new model coming and Sony is selling off the last of the old stock directly rather than through major channels like Amazon.

The other major possibility is that Sony has given up [entirely] on the ebook market.

Anyone have any better insight into this situation?
png

Geez Luise!! Did you just pull that out of your hat!? It sure stinks of something like that doesnt it!

But the Connect site still has plenty of BBeB so I doubt they are *giving it up entirely*

I just wonder if they improved the performance and durability of the reader!!?
If not then any release of a new model would just be a waste of time. Mine barely moves and just collects dust because I cannot use it for reference (which is why I bought it).
westsan is offline   Reply With Quote