Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #46
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks, I'll take a look at it and try. (Haven't done any scripting in a while... That ought to be fun.)

If anybody succeeds before me, please let me know ^^

EDIT: I understand the scripting you did, and see the changes I have to make. Just one minor problem though... How do I run the freaking script? xD

Last edited by NoWorthWhile; 01-05-2011 at 07:43 AM.
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Just one minor problem though... How do I run the freaking script?
python script_name.py
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #48
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #49
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

Scrap that, I'm lost, I thought I had it.

Could anyone explain me step by step how to do it? I'd be most thankfull...

EDIT: Also, I'm on Windows 7, if that helps...

Last edited by NoWorthWhile; 01-05-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #50
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Hmmmm, I wonder if someone could/would take Kerenon's script, tweak it and turn into a cross-platform plugin for Calibre and then add it to a certain set of tools.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #51
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

@Daffy, he's guiding me through the process right now, when we're done, I'm gonna post the script here for Windows. Perhaps that could help.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #52
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks NoWorthwhile!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #53
Kerenon
Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I don't really know anything about the plug-in system of calibre, but I'll take a look.
Kerenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #54
aproudlove
Enthusiast
aproudlove doesn't litteraproudlove doesn't litteraproudlove doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Silly question, I've read through the whole thread but my brain seems to be too stupid to take it in but if I modify a book as described in this thread with an asin number, plus the other relevant data, can I get that book onto an iPhone?

I'm asking because I have a lot of books that I picked up outside Amazon that I put on my Kindle via USB but sometimes it would be great to continue reading on my iPhone. I can pull the official Amazon books down via the Kindle app but I haven't found a way yet to get non-amazon titles on it.

Will the process being discussed in the previous posts enable this?

Thanks a lot
aproudlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #55
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerenon View Post
I don't really know anything about the plug-in system of calibre, but I'll take a look.
I was throwing out a not so subtle hint to certain other members of MR who can do this. If you can turn it into a plugin yourself, so much the better.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #56
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

@aproudlove, yes, that's what we're trying to do. I haven't had the chance to test this yet on my family's iPad (I'm in the middle of my mid-terms, I shouldn't even be on this forum ^^) but I think it should work.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #57
Kerenon
Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWorthWhile View Post
@aproudlove, yes, that's what we're trying to do. I haven't had the chance to test this yet on my family's iPad (I'm in the middle of my mid-terms, I shouldn't even be on this forum ^^) but I think it should work.
Ammm... actually no. You cannot transfer the books themselves using this method.

Last edited by Kerenon; 01-05-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #58
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproudlove View Post
Silly question, I've read through the whole thread but my brain seems to be too stupid to take it in but if I modify a book as described in this thread with an asin number, plus the other relevant data, can I get that book onto an iPhone?
You know, I was trying to experiment with this trick using my iPod Touch. It can be done if you can get access to the file system of the iWhatever. In my case, I'm on Win7 and found a pay program called TouchCopy 09, that gave me that ability (I see now they have TouchDrive which my work better). I only used the trial version of the software and it took a while to hunt through the files to find where the K4iPhone app stores the books. The trail version wouldn't actually let me add the books but I think it would work.

There may be free software ways to do this, if you or anyone finds some, please post and share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all the ipod kindle books.PNG
Views:	331
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	64132  
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #59
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerenon View Post
Ammm... actually no. You cannot transfer the books themselves using this method.
What do you mean?

If you add the ASIN on the books on your hard drive, and THEN sync them to all your devices (WP7, Android, iOS, K4PC), it "should" sync them accross all of them.

(That's what I'm trying to do)

EDIT: Also, I'm trying to suspect it would be better for Android and iOS if we could automaticaly fetch the ASIN from amazon.Com, as it would provide the cover as well. I could manage to do that given enough time (I'm more familiar with HTML than Calibre though), but I don't actually have the time to do so. Perhaps this should be moved to the Calibre section?

EDIT2 @ Daffy, there is an app called iPhoneExplorer for your PC that lets you add books on the iShit (sorry, my tongue slipped xD)

Last edited by NoWorthWhile; 01-05-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #60
Kerenon

In my understanding you cannot sync the prc/mobi files. Only the "Furthest Point Read" mark. So if you start reading on your kindle, and reach location 1234, then if you open K4PC, it asks you if you want to jump to loc 1234.

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync