Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Multiple Choice - Which region should we use for nominations this month?
Sub-Saharan Africa 2 18.18%
North Africa & The Middle East 1 9.09%
Southeast Europe 3 27.27%
Portugal, Belgium, The Netherlands, Spain & France 1 9.09%
North & Central Europe 1 9.09%
Ireland & The U.K. 1 9.09%
Canada & The U.S.A. 9 81.82%
The South Pacific 2 18.18%
Southeast Asia 4 36.36%
Japan 2 18.18%
The Korean Peninsula, Mongolia & China 2 18.18%
South Asia 2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
uh, nominations already - but just to be clear, is The Unmentionable allowed for this region or not?
As in, starting with "LOL" and ending with "ITA"?. Yes.

Last edited by issybird; 02-02-2013 at 02:01 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Nominate Lolita. Yeah, I'm first. Second Catch 22.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #33
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Nominate Lolita. Yeah, I'm first. Second Catch 22.
second Lolita - wonder how long it'll take for it to be fully nominated .

Also nominate The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck - from Goodreads
Quote:
Wang Lung, rising from humble Chinese farmer to wealthy landowner, gloried in the soil he worked. He held it above his family, even above his gods. But soon, between Wang Lung and the kindly soil that sustained him, came flood and drought, pestilence and revolution....
Through this one Chinese peasant and his children, Nobel Prize-winner Pearl S. Buck traces the whole cycle of life, its terrors, its passion, its persistent ambitions and its rewards. Her brilliant novel beloved by millions of readers throughout the world is a universal tale of the destiny of men.
As it was published in 1931, I think it should be public domain, still looking for a copy, though.

EDIT: while looking for a copy on Mobileread I stumbled upon the Book Club nomination thread for December - quite a coincidence, i did not know. But if you've already gone through the nomination with this one, glad to withdraw it.

Last edited by paola; 02-02-2013 at 02:19 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm shocked, shocked to think that people would want to read that pedophile's handbook.

Third Lolita.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll third Arcadian Adventures with the Idle Rich by Stephen Leacock. I've always enjoyed his work.

I'll second Catch 22.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #36
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post

Also nominate The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck - from Goodreads

As it was published in 1931, I think it should be public domain, still looking for a copy, though.
Pearl S. Buck died in 1972, so the book is NOT public domain anywhere.

An ebook version was released last year by Open Road, so you should be able to find it in all the ebookstores. Overdrive has it, so some public libraries should have copies.

Fourth Lolita.

Last edited by Synamon; 02-02-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'll fourth Arcadian Adventures.

As I was just now quickly updating the first post with the all the nominations post by post, I noticed as I was updating through the next post that I had accidentally listed supporters of the Nabokov book as - Hamlet53, paola, Lolita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
<...>

I'll second Catch 22.
That's actually a third.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
<...>

Fourth Lolita.
Here I was just about to hail the victory of Lolita at least not being the first book fully nominated and then you sneak that in!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Here I was just about to hail the victory of Lolita at least not being the first book fully nominated and then you sneak that in!
I first thought it was fully nominated, then realized it still needed another nod.

Sorry if you think we are hijacking this month, but Lolita doesn't actually fit in any other categories here except Open. Unless you want to exclude it entirely, Region is the best option.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #40
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Oh my god. I just realised I have made a huge mistake. February was supposed to be Time Period! We were supposed to have Region twice this year, first in November and then again half a year away in May, and like last year have Time Period for February (and the complementary Contemporary category half a year away in September). Somehow I listed November, February and May all as Region on the category list.

As you'll see here, I listed the categories correctly when first announcing the most recent category list in the "Begins" thread. The mistake was made transferring the list to the "The MR Literary Club • Welcome, Information & General Discussion" thread, probably last summer on the very same day I posted the refreshed categories in the "Begins" thread and the mistake has never been noticed until now.

Thank you Synamon because your post alerted me. I was about to post about how Time Period would actually be a perfect category for Lolita, then thought I'd see when we'll have that category, and realised the mistake almost immediately after that.

My apologies. There's no reason to interrupt what we've already started this month so my first instinct is to have February stay as Region and have Time Period in May this year - does that sound good to everyone?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll second The Good Earth.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #42
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
My apologies. There's no reason to interrupt what we've already started this month so my first instinct is to have February stay as Region and have Time Period in May this year - does that sound good to everyone?
No problem at all, sounds good. Quite the contrary: many thanks for all your efforts with the Literary Club!

But this book seems to be bewitched!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #43
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll nominate Old Man and The Sea by Hemingway.
I'll also nominate The Colour Purple by Alice Walker.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #44
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Oh my god. I just realised I have made a huge mistake. February was supposed to be Time Period! We were supposed to have Region twice this year, first in November and then again half a year away in May, and like last year have Time Period for February (and the complementary Contemporary category half a year away in September). Somehow I listed November, February and May all as Region on the category list.
That explains why Region shows up so often, I did wonder why it was every few months.

Quote:
Good with me.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #45
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll nominate Up From Slavery by Booker T Washington. Here's the Amazon review:

Nineteenth-century African American businessman, activist, and educator Booker Taliaferro Washington's Up from Slavery is one of the greatest American autobiographies ever written. Its mantras of black economic empowerment, land ownership, and self-help inspired generations of black leaders, including Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad, Malcolm X, and Louis Farrakhan. In rags-to-riches fashion, Washington recounts his ascendance from early life as a mulatto slave in Virginia to a 34-year term as president of the influential, agriculturally based Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. From that position, Washington reigned as the most important leader of his people, with slogans like "cast down your buckets," which emphasized vocational merit rather than the academic and political excellence championed by his contemporary rival W.E.B. Du Bois. Though many considered him too accommodating to segregationists, Washington, as he said in his historic "Atlanta Compromise" speech of 1895, believed that "political agitation alone would not save [the Negro]," and that "property, industry, skill, intelligence, and character" would prove necessary to black Americans' success. The potency of his philosophies are alive today in the nationalist and conservative camps that compose the complex quilt of black American society.

It's in the public domain

Last edited by fantasyfan; 02-02-2013 at 04:09 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote