Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Can I borrow books from library without ADE?

I just got Nuke 2nd generation and I like it.
I was able to borrow one book from my local library through overdrive and ADE. (It works even though I am on Linux and run ADE under wine simulator.) But it seems to me that ADE doesn't do anything for me, only requires to make many extra clicks and requires me to have access to computer.

Can nook be set up to borrow library books directly?
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
As I understand it and have seen it work on my system, when you download a book via overdrive, you don't actually get the book (epub file) itslef. You get a "stub" file with an extension ".acsm". You then open that file in ADE and it does the actual download of the epub file. So you need ADE or you cannot get the real epub file. I do not know of anyway around this. it is all about DRM and security, I assume.

There are ways of removing the DRM after you have the epub on your harddrive. You can do some searches and find out info about that.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
jerrry94087
Enthusiast

Normally .acsm file is downloaded from overdrive by browser. User drag-n-drops it into ADE. ADE downloads an encrypted PDF or epub using .acsm.
I wonder why nook can't do the same all by itself. It does have the browser.

It could allow user to save library card number and password and search books through overdrive and check them out from overdrive using the user account.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I suppose that the Nook could do all of this. However, somehow I don't think that Barnes and Noble wants to encourage people to get free books from the library.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need ADE to get library ePub to use with your nook. No way around that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
jerrry94087
Enthusiast

There must be such app for android though. Might be worth a try.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrry94087 View Post
Overdrive Media app for Android.

I haven't tried borrowing books through it yet, as I don't use my NC as an ereader.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
I just got Nuke 2nd generation and I like it.
I was able to borrow one book from my local library through overdrive and ADE. (It works even though I am on Linux and run ADE under wine simulator.) But it seems to me that ADE doesn't do anything for me, only requires to make many extra clicks and requires me to have access to computer.

Can nook be set up to borrow library books directly?
If you have a Kindle DX, when Kindle library lending begins, it will be directly through Overdrive. ADE won't be used.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But not for an unrooted nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
If you have a Kindle DX, when Kindle library lending begins, it will be directly through Overdrive. ADE won't be used.
OP is asking about a nook Touch, not a Kindle.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just don't get why some are answering with things that are not relevant to a nook Touch.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I suppose that the Nook could do all of this. However, somehow I don't think that Barnes and Noble wants to encourage people to get free books from the library.
It could all be done on the Nook, but B&N would need to add:
- official support for the web browser, and ability to browse a library's Overdrive portal to download .acsm files from there (& ideally, allow download of any natively-supported format such as .epub or .pdf)
- adding email client or Kindle-like delivery-by-email would be helpful too, in terms of offering an alternative delivery mechanism for .acsm files
- call Adobe RMSDK apis to 'fulfill' an .acsm file that's been downloaded.

Of course the above would also allow you to get books from other storefronts, such as Kobo or Google Books, without sideloading over USB.

For example, on iOS I can download .acsm file directly from the library portal, and select an app to fulfill it (either Bluefire or Overdrive Media Console). Or I can download the .acsm file on a computer and email it as a file attachment, and then open it with any app that registers for that file type (again Bluefire or OMC). Or I can use Dropbox etc.

Perhaps B&N will consider adding this functionality when Kindle's library borrowing feature rolls out. That seems to be how it works with a little friendly competition.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
jerrry94087
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Does Kindle even allow library lending? I thought they by design don't support epub/pdf and mostly promote book purchasing from their site.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Prior to the Amazon take-over, Mobipocket format ebooks were available via Overdrive. The technology is certainly there. It's just a matter of Amazon allowing it and probably licensing issues.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just don't get why some are answering with things that are not relevant to a nook Touch.
At the time, the OP had Kindle DX listed on the device line. It doesn't say that now. Since the OP apparently no longer has a Kindle DX, my comment is not relevant.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Prior to the Amazon take-over, Mobipocket format ebooks were available via Overdrive. The technology is certainly there. It's just a matter of Amazon allowing it and probably licensing issues.
From the Overdrive site to consituent libraries:

"Your existing collection of downloadable eBooks will be available to Kindle customers. As you add new eBooks to your collection, those titles will also be available in Kindle format for lending to Kindle and Kindle reading apps. Your library will not need to purchase any additional units to have Kindle compatibility. This will work for your existing copies and units."

The mobipocket books as well as epubs and PDFs will all be lendable as Kindle books.

http://overdriveblogs.com/library/20...s-and-schools/