Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
Last question regarding PRS-505

I am going to buy this ebook reader because you can actually buy it off ebay and get it shipped to Australia (and because the aussie dollar is so high atm)
ALL of my ebook collection are in .PDF format, and i know you need to convert this to anther format to use.
What program do i need to do that?
What is the format called?
Once i convert, how will it look in the ebook reader? wil lthe text size etc auto sync to the page?
Is there general problems i should be aware of?
Drag and drop to SD card then dump the sd card onto the sony reader, is that cool?
Price is good, affordable.
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Re: Last question regarding PRS-505

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw89 View Post
What program do i need to do that?
Usually libprs500 is all you need. But for comics or technical books with a lot of preformatted content, tables, graphics usually programs like pdflrf or rasterfarian are much better.

Quote:
What is the format called?
It's called BBeB and the file extension is lrf. (lrs for the source format) Take a look here for an explanation of the BBeB format used by the reader.

Quote:
wil lthe text size etc auto sync to the page?
While using libprs500 the pages will be reformatted according to the font size, exisiting page breaks etc. So usually you will get a different number of pages in the resulting lrf-file than in the original pdf. Font family, font size, page- and line breaks are adjustable via the different options in libprs500. Using pdflrf or rasterfarian you will get an image based ebook for your reader. Font sizes and page breaks are indirectly adjustable through different options like target page orientation, border cropping, page splitting/joining, fit to page width, fit to page height and so on.

Quote:
Is there general problems i should be aware of?
Well you will get problems when you want to convert pdf files using drm or password protected pdf files to lrf-files. The solution how to handle such pdf files is obvious.

Quote:
Drag and drop to SD card then dump the sd card onto the sony reader, is that cool?
If you are using libprs500 there is no need to access the sd card directly because the program allows you to sync your books with the reader.
I do only access the reader or the sd card directly if i want to place content which isn't managed in my ebook-library by libprs500. Maybe one time in a week or so...

cheers,
Michael
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use pdflrf to try to fix up the PDF so it's readable. You can try pdf2lrf (from Libprs500) or you can try Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro. It really depends on the PDF as to what will work best to convert it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
My PDF are mostly fiction/non-fiction novels. no pictures etc, so this should be a simple matter?
Is internal memory sufficient?
Also it looks like you guys are porting linux to this, how's that going along? I think i might install it
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
My PDF are mostly fiction/non-fiction novels. no pictures etc, so this should be a simple matter?
PDF is the worst possible choice for an eBook. It was not designed to be an eBook format; it makes a horrible eBook format, and can be extremely difficult to convert. PDF should be avoided like the plague.

Quote:
Also it looks like you guys are porting linux to this, how's that going along? I think i might install it
I don't understand the question, I'm afraid. The Sony Reader, like all eInk bookreaders, runs Linux as its operating system. What is it that you'd like to install?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Zabuton
Zabuton began at the beginning.

Device: BB8800/Sony PRS-505
From my personal experience, pdflrf gives the best results although the file size can be big sometimes. Normally, I put my current ebook in the internal memory and back them up to SD card in case I need them again.
Zabuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Thing
Thing began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I agree with Zabuton, pdflrf is usually the first tool I try.
And I can't agree more with HarryT, PDF is definitely not for ebooks; I only fully realized that after buying my reader.

Cheers.
Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
GodzillaFrog
GodzillaFrog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Smile

Quote:
I am going to buy this ebook reader because you can actually buy it off ebay and get it shipped to Australia (and because the aussie dollar is so high atm)
ALL of my ebook collection are in .PDF format, and i know you need to convert this to anther format to use.
<snip>
Hey David,

Fellow oz chap here with a PRS-505.

Just wanted to make sure you knew that you don't NEED to convert the PDFs to use them (as you seem to be saying).. they work just fine on the PRS-505 unconverted, as is, au natural.. but they only work well if they are formatted for the correct page size.
GodzillaFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:53 AM   #9
keith
Enthusiast
keith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I am going to buy this ebook reader because you can actually buy it off ebay and get it shipped to Australia
Another Aussie here. Consider buying from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ as I think you will find them cheaper than ebay. Very fast service too.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #10
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Another Aussie here. Consider buying from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ as I think you will find them cheaper than ebay. Very fast service too.
Keith got in before me. I bought my Sony from the US store B&H. There was one on eBay (someone in Brisbane) at the same time and it went for a lot more $$$ than the US store. Also, I thought B&H would be more trustworthy. And I wouldn't get a used or old model.

On PDF's: I usually save the pdf as text, improve the text with e-book tidy, copy into a Sony sized Word template and save as rtf. It's not perfect, and only works when the pdf is crystal clear and not a muddy scan from the real book.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Has anyone had a chance to check out Adobe acrobat for mobile devices??
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It won't run on the PRS505.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Supposedly, Sony and/or Adobe is working on new PDF code for the 505. We have yet to see a new firmware with this new code. Hopefully soon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Supposedly, Sony and/or Adobe is working on new PDF code for the 505. We have yet to see a new firmware with this new code. Hopefully soon.
Sony's firmware update
seems as elusive
as peace in our time
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
breckinshire
breckinshire began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
Sony's firmware update
seems as elusive