Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Anyone lose a K2 in New York?

Cnet found it and is looking for the owner so they can return it. I'm helping to spread the word in case the owner "John" ever visits MobileRead.

I have named my Kindles with their own gmail and yahoo addresses. I've also used the screen saver hacks to label images with my name, cell phone number and email address.

I hope everyone, no matter what ebook reader you own, have taken steps to make it as easy as possible for some honest person to return it to you, should you lose it.

Last edited by daffy4u; 09-12-2009 at 12:43 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that is really nice of cnet. and thanks for posting it here, hopefully the owner will see an article somewhere and reply. but daffy, your link goes to the amazon help page, is that right ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks ZP! Fixed the link.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hey, sis, just followed your link and read your post on CNET.

I do like your idea of having a special email for our Reading Devices. I should set one up for my Sony, then use it only for book purchases and for use on an info page on my 505. (humm, I might load a jpeg in pictures plus set up a folder labeled "OWNER" with the information.)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
One would *think* that Amazon could help restore a lost Kindle to its owner. They know which device belong(s/ed) to which account and even if the owner de-registered it, Amazon *should* know which account it had been registered to. Although it would be wrong -- and probably violate their privacy policy -- to disclose any contact information, I would hope that if they were contacted by someone who provided the serial number of the Kindle they would at least send a message from Amazon Customer Support telling the owner that someone was trying to contact him.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
One would *think* that Amazon could help restore a lost Kindle to its owner. They know which device belong(s/ed) to which account and even if the owner de-registered it, Amazon *should* know which account it had been registered to. Although it would be wrong -- and probably violate their privacy policy -- to disclose any contact information, I would hope that if they were contacted by someone who provided the serial number of the Kindle they would at least send a message from Amazon Customer Support telling the owner that someone was trying to contact him.
Elsi - you might be interested in reading the article on this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55876
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I hope everyone, no matter what ebook reader you own, have taken steps to make it as easy as possible for some honest person to return it to you, should you lose it.
Yeah, I have

Quote:
If found, please return to [address] or call [phone number] and ask for Charlie. I will give a small reward for its safe return. Thanks!
in the personal info section in the settings.

I hope that I will never leave it anywhere though
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Kudos to cnet. Re: lost Kindles there has been a bit of furore lately over companies like Amazon/Apple not wanting to help people who have had a kindle/iphone stolen/lost.

They could apparently 'brick' devices which had been reported stolen, and some people even had the genius idea that you could report your device stolen and upon turning it on it simply says 'return to this address or an Apple store for a reward'. Then Apple or Amazon could pay the person (no questions asked) and the original owner gets it back by paying the reward cost (like a $25 gift certificate).

Kindle/iPhone has network connectivity and serial numbers so the bricking could be done easily. But the compnies are somewhat hesitant, and this is likely to be because they want people to buy a new one after theirs was lost or stolen.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I wonder why John did not put his personal information in the Settings & Device Information. You don't need a hack to add that info like on the Sony.

Under Personal Information, mine says: If found please call Lilly LastName at 404-444-4444 or e-mail me at email address.

With my correct information of course!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
My cousin just told me she found a lost kindle 1 last year and the person did not have any personal information. She called Amazon to give them the serial # so they can send the person an e-mail to get in contact with her but Amazon said no. They had her instead mail them the Kindle and they said they would return it to it's owner. They e-mail her a return slip and she sent them the Kindle but she don't know if the story ended happily.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote