Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Lockdown37
Lockdown37 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yet another decision issue topic

Hello,

First things first, as it's my first post I'd like to say you Hello and thanks for all of this community, resources etc. I've learnt so many things even though I wasn't registered, or a part of this community.

Talking about community, I'm on my way to be a part of as I do want to buy a eReader. It's been years I have this "need" in mind but never dedicated enough time to search, and gather information to have a final choice.
And here I'm, my choice has almost been made but I wanted to know what would you think about this choice as there are, for sure, people experienced with devices.

I wanted to buy the Kobo AURA HD, it was in pre-order on a website, I wasn't sure so I waited the release date (July 31), and it seems, the product is no more available. The guy, at the shop, was so confused, as he didn't know anything this product release, none information about when will it be in stock etc.
So basically, if I want to a buy one, I will have to buy somewhere else...
And it frustrated me so much, I was like : " I just waited 3 weeks for that product, and now, I can't buy one ".

The kind of thing that pushes you to buy somewhere else, such as a Kindle Paperwhite.
Then a friend, who didn't want to wait for the Kobo AURA HD bought a Paperwhite. I tried it for few minutes, I've been very pleased, 6" is great but I thought 6.8" would be better. The whole Amazon store, ecosystem, works pretty well. Prices are way more interesting on Amazon than anywhere else.

I've already seen a lot of videos, comparative, reviews etc.

So basically, my choice is between Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo AURA HD.

And ... because it was a bit too much easy, I would like to know what do you think about the Touch Lux.
I have been pleased to see compatibility, features, but it seems turning pages, and UI was very slow, and buggy.

Thanks a lot

And if you wonder what kind of books will I read, mostly, technical stuff such as Microsoft Press, Cisco Press, and that kind of stuff.
Lockdown37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Will all your technical books be available in multiple DRM-free formats, or will you be limited by format and/or DRM? This has a strong influence on many purchasing decisions.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
Lockdown37

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Will all your technical books be available in multiple DRM-free formats, or will you be limited by format and/or DRM? This has a strong influence on many purchasing decisions.
Hum, I already have some of them, mostly in pdf.
And I checked pdf are a bit better on Aura than Paperwhite.
And I also think a bigger screen would be appreciated for that kind of books.
Formats are mostly pdf, or epub.
Besides prices are better on Amazon using a Kindle, there are mostly in ePub with Adobe-DRM.
I don't think I will be limited by format and DRM.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would you consider a tablet? Docs in PDF will generally perform much better.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Lockdown37

Quote:
Would you consider a tablet? Docs in PDF will generally perform much better.
Hum, unfortunately, tablets aren't as good as eReader when it comes to read long time.
I mean, reading on a tablet is the same as reading on a screen and unfortunately, it's not as comfortable as an eReader.
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown37 View Post
Hum, unfortunately, tablets aren't as good as eReader when it comes to read long time.
I mean, reading on a tablet is the same as reading on a screen and unfortunately, it's not as comfortable as an eReader.
It's not comfortable to be panning and waiting for redraw and squinting and getting annoyed, either. You'll really need to test the worst of your docs on the reader with your eyeballs before you decide.

Small to medium eink readers are generally not the best choice for PDFs. Really, truly.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Lockdown37

Quote:
It's not comfortable to be panning and waiting for redraw and squinting and getting annoyed, either. You'll really need to test the worst of your docs on the reader with your eyeballs before you decide.

Small to medium eink readers are generally not the best choice for PDFs. Really, truly.
My friend who just bought the Paperwhite, I tried reading some PDF, and one Kindle format eBook, it was a Cisco Press, it was pretty good honestly.
And tablet doesn't have as much battery, they're almost all heavier than an eReader, you just can't read if there is light, sun etc.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
This is my experience, too.

I'm a researcher and work extensively with pdfs. When I first decided to go digital I started out trying 6" e-readers, but got into a bunch of difficulties, such as this

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156702

I now use an iPad, and find it much superior for reading and annotating pdfs, it's much easier to maneouvre back and forth in a document, I never have issues like the ones I encountered in the link above, and options for organising and annotation pdfs are much more sophisticated. While reading on e-ink is slightly more comfortable, reading on a iPad is much more comfortable than reading on a computer screen. Battery life isn't an issue as I charge it overnight, and sun light isn't an issue for me as I do most of my work in my office. YMMV.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eInk readers are great for fiction, but for PDFs a tablet wins hands-down. I too would recommend an iPad. I use the "GoodReader" app and find it to be excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Lockdown37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
This is my experience, too.

I'm a researcher and work extensively with pdfs. When I first decided to go digital I started out trying 6" e-readers, but got into a bunch of difficulties, such as this

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156702

I now use an iPad, and find it much superior for reading and annotating pdfs, it's much easier to maneouvre back and forth in a document, I never have issues like the ones I encountered in the link above, and options for organising and annotation pdfs are much more sophisticated. While reading on e-ink is slightly more comfortable, reading on a iPad is much more comfortable than reading on a computer screen. Battery life isn't an issue as I charge it overnight, and sun light isn't an issue for me as I do most of my work in my office. YMMV.
Hello,

Thanks for your remark

I understand the issue you just link about, but I will read mostly technical stuff, sure there are PDFs but there is also a lot of ePub, and mobi and things like that.
That's why I was looking for an ereader instead of a tablet. I don't want an iPad, I'm not really a big Apple-fan, and the whole ecosystem around. I do not want to have a tablet because it isn't for reading, it's for a lot of things AND you can read on it. It hasn't been made for that, instead of the ereader.
Much more comfortable, dedicated to reading, more battery, doesn't tire your eyes as much as a tablet etc.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Lockdown37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
eInk readers are great for fiction, but for PDFs a tablet wins hands-down. I too would recommend an iPad. I use the "GoodReader" app and find it to be excellent.

Hum ... I'm definitely not interested in an iPad.
Even though I took a look about the app you linked, it seems very interesting.
And yeah, of course, you can do so more things than on a eReader...
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does it have to be a case of "one or the other"? Use the right tool for the right job: get an eInk reader for ePub/Mobi, and a tablet for PDF. Best of both worlds.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Does it have to be a case of "one or the other"? Use the right tool for the right job: get an eInk reader for ePub/Mobi, and a tablet for PDF. Best of both worlds.
I use Kindle DX and Sony PRS for PDFs mainly outdoors and iPad mainly indoors.

iPad is also used for simultaneous PDF annotation and handwriting when needed, since i use good anti-glare screen protector and sunshade, I have no problem reading and annotating in a bright sunlight either.

I have no problem whatsoever of reading A5 sized PDF on 6" readers (with cropped margins in landscape mode) and A4 on 10", and since Sony PRS comes with stylus I can also do handwriting, annotation and highlighting, use search, dictionary etc. on all of my PDF images or textual PDfs.

Last edited by markom; 08-04-2013 at 09:35 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
There is really no problem of reading A5 sized PDF on 6" readers (with cropped margins in landscape mode) and A4 on 10".
True. The problem is that very few PDFs are formatted for an A5 page.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
True. The problem is that very few PDFs are formatted for an A5 page.
I read a lot of scanned books and majority of those are A5 or slightly bigger, rarely A4, so if instead of A5's 150 mm page width (about 120 mm after cropping) our book has got 170 mm page width (about 140 after cropping) it will be o.k. on 6" device for majority of people if original letter size was not to small.

Even A4 PDF image is not problem for 6" devices since we can do reflow in k2pdfopt app and simultaneously use (mini) tablet if we want to have original layout always at hand or for handwriting, color, additional dictionaries etc.

Last edited by markom; 08-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote