Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #61
paaThaka
Connoisseur
paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Natively it prefers some data types but it works fine for any app with FileBrowser (really expensive at £2.99)... when you transfer a file, it gives you the option to "Open in..." which gives a list of Apps that can deal with the file so PDF will show Adobe Reader and any other Apps that can access PDF, CBR will give a list of any Apps you have for comics etc...
Thanks for this info.

Do you know if it is possible to:

- Add, index contents (words inside) & search

PDF files that are stored on the NAS, accessed via Internet (Wifi or cellular), using an iPad app like Mendeley or Papers?

I've been really miffed by the too little storage space that iPad has and have been looking at ways to extend that in a way that is *DIRECTLY ACCESSIBLE* from scientific research paper reading apps like mentioned above.

For me, it's not very useful to have thousands of papers manually openable via a file browser.

They need to be fully indexed, searchable and readable from inside an iPad app like Mendeley or Papers.
paaThaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #62
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by paaThaka View Post
Thanks for this info.

-
For me, it's not very useful to have thousands of papers manually openable via a file browser.

They need to be fully indexed, searchable and readable from inside an iPad app like Mendeley or Papers.
Do you mean "all" at once. i.e. Search every file you have or have access to with one command?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #63
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
magazine crazy claim iPad 128 is in PC category

drink too much Apple juice!
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #64
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Do you mean "all" at once. i.e. Search every file you have or have access to with one command?
PaaThaka's talking about more than browsing, recognizing and opening pdf files -- otherwise, creating hierarchical menus and changing iPad's file associations would be enough. I believe paaThaka's referring to citation and other content searches within applications like Mendeley or Papers.

If I'm not mistaken, paaThaka means this sort of organization for files on an external drive (and note that Mendeley has its own folder and group organization window, automation, tasks and limitations):*

http://blog.mendeley.com/tipstricks/...earch-library/

and these kinds of searches:

http://blog.mendeley.com/tipstricks/...part-10-of-12/

Since I don't own an iPad and haven't used Mendeley for iOS, I'm not certain why it would be unable to index and search pdf files on an external NAS drive.

I do find it disturbing that one could run out of space so easily for storing thousands of pdf files of academic papers on an iPad, though -- especially if writing papers is one's main reason for owning a tablet. Pdfs tend to take up far less space than multimedia files or even mp3s.

================
* "Seriously, we love librarians at Mendeley, but if you’re a researcher and you’ve got a system for organizing your PDFs on your hard drive that’s more complex than the Library of Congress classification system, chances are you’ve either missed your calling or you’ve spent a great deal of time on organization schemes that you would rather have spent doing actual research. Mendeley Desktop has a flexible system of folders and groups designed to make it easy to organize your documents with minimal effort." ("Organization without aggravation: Quick tips for managing your research library," Mendeley Blog, August 11, 2011.)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-11-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #65
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
If you're all so concerned about storage then why don't you get a WiFi NAS drive... I run a 3TB personal cloud system - it's all under my control with no worrying about other people controlling my data- and I can access it happily from my computers, Nexus, iPad and Galaxy at home or anywhere I can get WiFi or use my Galaxy as a mobile hotspot... 3TB seems to be enough for the moment and it also acts as a backup for data on other drives.
If you need immediate access to 100GB of data, cloud storage, whether local or not, is not entirely feasible. I've got a 12TB file server but it's not like copying gigabytes worth of data from the file server to my devices over wi-fi isn't time consuming. If I only needed small ebooks or music/video instant streaming, the cloud would be fine. However, for large files that need to be stored locally before you can open them (e.g. 200MB CBR/CBZ files), having large internal storage or an expansion slot is a necessity (at least for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Since I don't own an iPad and haven't used Mendeley for iOS, I'm not certain why it would be unable to index and search pdf files on an external NAS drive.

I do find it disturbing that one could run out of space so easily for storing thousands of pdf files of academic papers on an iPad, though -- especially if writing papers is one's main reason for owning a tablet. Pdfs tend to take up far less space than multimedia files or even mp3s.
Because iOS doesn't natively provide access to network shares. Mendeley would have to include a Samba client in their iOS app for this to work. This is one reason I'm really interested in Windows 8-based tablets - the inter-operability in a Windows-based network. Sure you could mount Samba shares on Android but it's just not as seamless. As for the PDFs taking less space, it depends on whether it's got a lot of diagrams, images, etc. I've got a lot of 50-150MB PDF files.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-19-2013 at 12:31 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert