Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #16
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Notice the horrible right margin on the 350 ...
On a related note, maybe someone (Kobo employee perhaps?) can answer why Kobo ebooks appears weirdly formatted on non-Kobo device or software. After all, it's just epub right?

I bought a Kobo book and it appears properly on the Kobo iOS app for iPad. But I didn't want to use the Kobo app anymore (hate having to have to log in constantly, no search function), so I downloaded the Adobe DRM file and read it on ADE and Sony Reader. The formatting was terrible, not only with the margins but the content: the bullet points became "?".

Someone mentioned that KePub and ADE rendering engines work differently but shouldn't Kobo ensure that the ebooks appear the same in both format?

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 07-07-2011 at 05:33 PM.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

The ommission of a search feature within books is a major issue with me too. Had I known this feature was unavailable I might have passed on buying a Kobo Touch. However the Kobo developers seem open to adding features that we request and I'm hoping the SEARCH feature gets added soon. I suspect it has been oft requested.

Not sure why the Adobe ePub displayed differently in the Sony than the kePub does in the Kobo app. The problem I had with my book (see photo from earlier post of wide margins on a Sony 350) was caused by author/publisher formatting snafus. They used an antiquated CSS template that was never adopted in the ePub standard. That is not Kobos fault but the fault of the book publisher.

To test whether Kobo Adobe ePubs display well in non-Kobo readers would require more than one book as any book is subject to bad formatting. You might try downloading several free books from Kobo to see how they display and compare them to how they display in the Kobo app.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-07-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Advert