Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #46
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I am mildly surprised that you 'find it deeply worrying' - it's just someone's opinion, politely expressed.
That's true, Sparrow.
But one can worry about the way that some believers don't appreciate that tolerance works both ways.
I've long been mildly fed up with religious advertisements on British public transport. Buses and trains often have advertisements from Christian evangelist sects. But I wouldn't dream of making a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority.

But when the British Humanist Society recently advertised on a few buses with the slogan, "There's probably no God," there were hundreds of complaints, and one driver refused to drive his bus.

I believe that there must be a parity of tolerance.

The story is here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7813812.stm
and here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7832647.stm
Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #47
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks for the link, i read the article. you are probably right that the judge relied on rules of jurisprudence and precedent, which is as it should be.

however, as i said in my previous post, i do think that as a public figure and a figure of authority (particularly such high authority as a judge), he does have a responsibility to take care that his personal beliefs are separate from his professional statements and actions. i still do think it's inappropriate of a judge (note, not of the man) to make this reference about one of his cases.
Ah, Zeepee, I suspect that you would find closely following US elections enormously fascinating!
Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #48
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That's true, Sparrow.
But one can worry about the way that some believers don't appreciate that tolerance works both ways.
I've long been mildly fed up with religious advertisements on British public transport. Buses and trains often have advertisements from Christian evangelist sects. But I wouldn't dream of making a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority.

But when the British Humanist Society recently advertised on a few buses with the slogan, "There's probably no God," there were hundreds of complaints, and one driver refused to drive his bus.

The story is here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7813812.stm
and here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7832647.stm
I saw that. I don't think it should be illegal to put something like that on the bus, I just wish people would respect other people's beliefs.

But we know that's asking a lot.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That's true, Sparrow.
Yes, that is precisely what I find concerning.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #50
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
... one can worry about the way that some believers don't appreciate that tolerance works both ways.
I'm not religious, and don't agree with the original poster's argument - but I don't think they were being intolerant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
...All I am saying is that it offended me (obviously not everyone), and I would have hoped that Sony could have chosen more topic neutral choices for their excerpts. That's all. People can have the freedom to buy the book all day long, anywhere that sells it. I just thought it was a poor choice to preload on the Reader IMHO. I certainly respect that others have differing opinions.
I appreciate everyone's comments.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #51
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
I'm not religious, and don't agree with the original poster's argument - but I don't think they were being intolerant.
I entirely agree, Sparrow: that's why I said "some believers..."

I certainly didn't mean to include the person who started the thread, who was asking a controversial question politely. I apologise if I wasn't clear.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #52
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I am mildly surprised that you 'find it deeply worrying' - it's just someone's opinion, politely expressed.

Its not the opinion, and while its 'politely expressed' it shows GREAT intolerance for any other belief beside theirs.

This poster wouldn't buy a Sony if they had it to do over again, and won't support their company by not buying books from them.

It was a sample, for cryin' out loud.

They are accusing Sony of religious intolerance. Quote:

2. The choice of including this book demonstrates a policy that they agree with the content of the book, to the point that it should be promoted to every single person who purchases their ebook reader.

3. Sony is committed to this type of religious intolerance because it apparently has also been included for free on the new 700 model.

From a sample of one book?

This to me, is scary.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #53
Laserjock
Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-350; PRS-505RC; iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
...but one actually really surprised and disappointed me.

It was "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. Now this book is not an unbiased or fair and balanced assessment of people of faith. It is an insulting, vitriolic and hateful attack upon them...
msmith,

Thanks for bringing this titile to my attention. I too deleted the excerpts without reading them. But after reading your comments I immediatley bought the book.

At least we can all be content that the worse consequence for writing/distributing a controversial book is that it will be deleted and no one will be stoned, burned at the stake, drawn and quartered or condemned to house arrest for the rest of their lives.

-Laserjock-

Last edited by Laserjock; 01-24-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Intolerence to ignorence
Old 01-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #54
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserjock View Post
msmith,

Thanks for bringing this titile to my attention. I too deleted the excerpts without reading them. But after reading your comments I immediatley bought the book.

-Laserjock-
My mom read it and said it was really good.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #55
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i had not heard of it but after this thread yesterday i took a look at the wikipedia entry for the book which intrigued me enough to add it to my reading list.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
My mom read it and said it was really good.
heh heh... I think the OP didn't realize that this thread is actually promoting the book.

BOb
Old 01-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #57
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
heh heh... I think the OP didn't realize that this thread is actually promoting the book.

BOb
LOL, even I'm thinking about reading it. It's that whole you-tell-me-not-to-and-now-I'm-dying-to-thing.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #58
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Well, interesting posts, everybody.

If I may pick a nit (and you know I just love to do that), technically a "religion" is a path to reunification with a deity. In order to have a religion, there must be an initial splitting away of man and his/her god. For Judaism, Christianity, and the Muslims this is the whole Garden of Eden myth.

Buddhism is not a "religion" but a philosophy. Since we don't have a god figure, it's rather hard to be upset by the inclusion of other beliefs as samples in a book reader. I realized that we (as a group) were not included in the post about being upset if a Bible were included as a sample read, and it's true. I know I wouldn't be. I have at least three Bibles in the house, a Koran, a Book of Mormen, any number of books on the Talmud (I'm a lawyer, it goes with the territory), and Hindu writings as well. I'm interested in that stuff ... it doesn't mean I believe it, or that if I read it I'm going to believe it. I have read it .... I don't believe it, but it does help me understand the people that do.

If anyone is so weak in their own belief system that the very thought of having a book expressing a contrary opinion, or even a sample of such a book, in their hands is upsetting .... well, that just sucks. I feel for those people, I really do. Must be awful to have your blood pressure go up every time someone questions the existence of your gods.

And, thanks for the post because it reminded me that there were several books by Dawkins that I've been meaning to read, and this is one of them.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 01-24-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #59
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
This is what extremists don't understand. Rant and rave and stomp your feet, forbid people to do/read something, because of your personal beliefs, and you create a market for it.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #60
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
If I may pick a nit (and you know I just love to do that),
Ricky' in da house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I have at least three Bibles in the house, a Koran, a Book of Mormen, any number of books on the Talmud (I'm a lawyer, it goes with the territory), and Hindu writings as well. I'm interested in that stuff ... it doesn't mean I believe it, or that if I read it I'm going to believe it.
What about those Witchcraft manuals written by Rawling?

I love that you are keeping it real!

BOb
Closed Thread