Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Agree w/ Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ --- it's one of those rare books which makes the world a better place.

Also Ursula K. LeGuin's _Earthsea Trilogy_.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I second a lot of the suggestions already made. Some new suggestions:

Interstellar Pig by William Sleator - sci-fi thriller ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_Pig )
Joan Aiken's books, especially the Wolves of Willoughby Chase series - historical adventure ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_A...ves_Chronicles )
Andre Norton's Time Traders series - sci-fi adventure. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblio...oss_Murdock.29, the first is public domain at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19145 )
Jane Yolen's books are generally a good bet, but depending on the book might be a bit young. On the other hand, I still reread her stuff. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Yolen )
Avi generally writes good historical YA fiction. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avi_%28author%29 )
Bruce Coville's books, especially the Rod Albright series and My Teacher series - sci-fi adventure ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Coville )
Madeleine L'Engle - more thoughtful YA books, the first one is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle_in_Time
Alexander Lloyd's another great YA author. Try the Chronicles of Prydain - great fantasy series ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Prydain )

Definitely wouldn't recommend the Hunger Games. I had friends who were triggered by it.

I hated The Dark Is Rising as a teenager. The 'heroes' go around mind-raping people and generally being creepy. I kept thinking they were going to face consequences, but they never really did and I wasn't OK with that.

Last edited by Rbneader; 08-29-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
When I was that age I loved the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Rick Riordan.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.

Heroes of Olympus series.

Kane Chronicles trilogy.

Excellent books. Big fan of the author.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
+1. My 11-year old son is a big fan of Rick Riordan.
My son also reads well above his age level (He will be 11 years old in September). He has all of these Rick Riordan books and has been reading through the 39 Clues series (the first book was authored by Rick Riordan.)

I also recommend any of books by Brandon Mull. His series include Fablehaven, Beyonders, The Candy Shop War, The Five Kingdoms and a the first of the Spirit Animals books.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 08-30-2014 at 01:53 PM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My Side of the Mountain by Jean George. A Newbery Honor book about a boy, Sam, who leaves home to fend for himself in the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York. For a year he lives in a hollowed-out tree, befriending animals and depending on his wits for survival.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #21
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I gave my 13yo nephew a copy of The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt this summer--don't know if he's read it yet. The second book in that series has some sexual content you might find objectionable, but the first one is a great standalone coming-of-age fantasy story.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If they like fantasy novels "Watership Down" by Richard Adams might be a good choice as well. And of course they might enjoy "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe" by Douglas Adams too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote