Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Lush
Connoisseur
Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kindle 3, KPW, iPad, iPhone
Anyone else unable to download MOBI books purchased this week?

I am not able to download any of the Mobi ebooks I purchased this week.
All were released on February 1st.

I've contacted Fictionwise about the issue, but of course have had no response other than the usual automated reply. One can only hope they're too busy working on the problem to get back to me.

Diesel have been more forthcoming. They tell me that the Mobi feeds are "wrong", & that Mobi are working on it.

Does anyone know any more?
Lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I've tried several times to download Jasper Fforde's Shades Of Grey in mobi format without success. Let us know if you hear back from Fictionwise.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I've tried several times to download Jasper Fforde's Shades Of Grey in mobi format without success.
That's really odd - I bought it and downloaded it in .mobi format when it first released with no trouble. I just logged into FW and downloaded it again, and it seems to have worked fine - download went normally, and the file opens and seems intact (I only skimmed the first ten pages or so).

Did you just buy it? Maybe the problem is in 'new' authorizations or something.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been trying to buy Sahdes Of Grey for the past three days and each time I click on "Place Your Order", I get an "Error During Checkout - Please Try Again" message. I'm trying to pay with Paypal. The book currently has a 100% Micropay rebate and it lists both Paypay and Credit Card orders as eligible for the rebate. It's not just that book, however. I tried purchasing Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman in mobi format with the same error. There must be, as Lush pointed out in the original post, an issue with Mobipocket rather than with Fictionwise.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Definitely sounds like the problem is coming in during the 'sale' portion, yes. Could be an issue with the DRM-infection servers, at a guess - as I say, the copy I've already bought downloads fine.

I assume no response from FW' customer service department? They used to be good, but ever since the B&N take-over...
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Lush
Connoisseur
Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

I had no trouble purchasing the books, but 4 days on am still not able to download them.
Mobi books I've purchased in the past can still be downloaded, so the problem is obviously confined to last week's releases.

As yet FW have not responded to my helpdesk request. I am about to contact them again in the hope that there is actually a human presence in their Customer Service Dept.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Fictionwise has not responded to my help request, but I was able to download both Jasper Fforde's Shades Of Grey and Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman in Mobi format this morning. Whatever the issue, they seem to have fixed it.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Lush
Connoisseur

I too have been able to download my books today.
No explanation from FW as to the cause of the problem though.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It has happened to me a couple of times. One of them the customer service changed the file type, the other one they gave me a refund. Both of them they say the Mobipocket servers were wrong.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I was just browsing this week's newly released eBooks at Fictionwise, and the mobi format has all but disappeared. Does anyone know what's going on?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
I was just browsing this week's newly released eBooks at Fictionwise, and the mobi format has all but disappeared. Does anyone know what's going on?
They've been slow to list Mobipocket books in the past; however, they also haven't been available elsewhere (like Mobipocket.com) when I looked, which isn't the case now.

Maybe Amazon's trying to kill it in favor of their bozo-bitted "Kindle" format?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
I noticed this last week. In fact one of my wish list books entirely disappeared because it was only available in Mobi .prc format. I've also noticed that ePub is starting to show up and in some cases is the only eBook format available.

I went ahead and purchased my missing wishlist book from Mobipocket before it disappears entirely as I've had that happen also. Definitely seems like the ebook wars are heating up.

Its a shame that the CUSTOMERS are left entirely out of the loop!
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmoke53 View Post
I noticed this last week. In fact one of my wish list books entirely disappeared because it was only available in Mobi .prc format. I've also noticed that ePub is starting to show up and in some cases is the only eBook format available.

I went ahead and purchased my missing wishlist book from Mobipocket before it disappears entirely as I've had that happen also. Definitely seems like the ebook wars are heating up.

Its a shame that the CUSTOMERS are left entirely out of the loop!
There is still a dearth of mobi formats at Fictionwise right now, so I'm guessing this is now a permanent thing.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
There is still a dearth of mobi formats at Fictionwise right now, so I'm guessing this is now a permanent thing.
Well, maybe. Given that over half of their "recent additions" page is preorders, it looks to me like there's just a delay in Mobipocket availability. I know that this is a very small sample size, but a book I wanted that was listed as eReader only two weeks ago, as a preorder, was listed also as Mobipocket before the release but after the "recent additions" window.

(Still not listed as an ePub, despite being available as such from the publisher and other sites. )
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Well, maybe. Given that over half of their "recent additions" page is preorders, it looks to me like there's just a delay in Mobipocket availability. I know that this is a very small sample size, but a book I wanted that was listed as eReader only two weeks ago, as a preorder, was listed also as Mobipocket before the release but after the "recent additions" window.

(Still not listed as an ePub, despite being available as such from the publisher and other sites. )
I think you might be right, and I am happy to be wrong about this. The delay is annoying, though.