Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
illustrata
Enthusiast
illustrata began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle
Need a road map

I have a book that I sorely need to convert to .epub and .mobi for the Kindle. Because I'm not happy with how anything that generates the code does so (one stylesheet per page, etc.), I'm pretty much manually re-creating it using Sigil. Hopefully.

I have a ton of questions, maybe too many for one post, so if that's the case please let me know. I could really use some clarification though, so even if I could get an answer of two I'd already be way ahead of where I am now.

I have the content, split into files: various files for the front matter, a file for each chapter.

• I see that an ncx is required for the epub toc. Where is this file? Does this get generated by Sigil TOC editor, or manually, or by me?

• same goes for the OPF. I understand there needs to be one, but I can' t find any evidence of it anywhere. Is this the Meta editor in the Tools, and does this file just hide out somewhere where I can't see it? I don't see them in any other ebooks either.

• is it OK to put semantic files too? do they go before or after the

• can I name the files what I like (fmatter1, 2, 3; body1, 2, 3)? Is it important that they are in or out of a folder?

I really do apologize for these newbie-est of questions. I do get html, xhtml and css (although I'm still unclear as to what will translate and what won't -- top margins? line-height?).

If I could just get a handle on these few questions and get a good, solid example to follow I promise my next questions will be much more difficult.

Thanks so so so so much for any assistance.

Last edited by illustrata; 04-20-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: removed extraneous text
illustrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrata View Post
I have a book that I sorely need to convert to .epub and .mobi for the Kindle. Because I'm not happy with how anything that generates the code does so (one stylesheet per page, etc.), I'm pretty much manually re-creating it using Sigil. Hopefully.

I have a ton of questions, maybe too many for one post, so if that's the case please let me know. I could really use some clarification though, so even if I could get an answer of two I'd already be way ahead of where I am now.

I have the content, split into files: various files for the front matter, a file for each chapter.

• I see that an ncx is required for the epub toc. Where is this file? Does this get generated by Sigil TOC editor, or manually, or by me?

• same goes for the OPF. I understand there needs to be one, but I can' t find any evidence of it anywhere. Is this the Meta editor in the Tools, and does this file just hide out somewhere where I can't see it? I don't see them in any other ebooks either.

• is it OK to put semantic files too? do they go before or after the

• can I name the files what I like (fmatter1, 2, 3; body1, 2, 3)? Is it important that they are in or out of a folder?

I really do apologize for these newbie-est of questions. I do get html, xhtml and css (although I'm still unclear as to what will translate and what won't -- top margins? line-height?).

If I could just get a handle on these few questions and get a good, solid example to follow I promise my next questions will be much more difficult.

Thanks so so so so much for any assistance.

I have xhtml files in the order of the chapters, but have illustrationsI am drowning in information, but can't seem to get my pea-brain around the most basic stuff. So...
You can use (rename to) almost any valid file name, just don't mess the extension .

Sigil will do the NCX (the book browser order (just drag to proper place), right-click semantics) and OPF stuff (F8 the Metadata editor to set/adjust) . The TOC values and nesting are determined by H# tags in the pages.

Pictures are fairly easy, if you ADD them into an existing page using the 'Insert Image on the Menu' to Import the file and place the image (Sigil .3 can not reuse the image, but you can copy the code (CV) from the first use and paste it (CV) every place else that it is needed. )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Keep the files in their respective folders. It will help to keep things organised. Look at some books here at the forum for some examples what you can do and what not. It will help you understand the working of the epub format.

There is a goob book floating around here, but I can't remember the title. Something about a boat... It has pictures and quite advanced layout.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
illustrata
Enthusiast

Thanks very much to you both, all valuable info I can use.

I'll look for the boat book, I learn lots by example. If the title floats up, don't hesitate to post it...

Thanks again, I'll be back, I'm sure.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrata View Post
Thanks very much to you both, all valuable info I can use.

I'll look for the boat book, I learn lots by example. If the title floats up, don't hesitate to post it...

Thanks again, I'll be back, I'm sure.
The book in question is likely Jerome, Jerome K.: Three Men in a Boat (illustrated) v6 07 april 2010, formated by Zelda_Pinwheel.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
The book in question is likely Jerome, Jerome K.: Three Men in a Boat (illustrated) v6 07 april 2010, formated by Zelda_Pinwheel.
Thank you! That's the one... I always forget the title, but it is great for reference. Perhaps I should read it once...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
illustrata
Enthusiast

I found that, and Prince and the Pauper -- they both are great for reference. Many thx.