Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #106
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Hmm, it seems Amazon may be offering free AT&T wifi with 3.1. I found a file hid.csv in the updates:

Code:
attwifi, @kindle.com, us, ATT-main, ATT, wispr-1.0-att, cn=secure.wayport.com, an=secure.att.com
wayport_access, @kindle.com, us, ATT-legacy, ATT, wispr-1.0-att
I don't want to lose my hacks, so can someone with 3.1 test if AT&T wifi (at let's say Starbucks) work?
Yeah. I mentioned it in my other K3 firmware post. They added support for something called sponsored hotspots which is what uses that hid.csv file. There are also some server commands related to it. I don't think its active yet though. I tried sending a command to the Amazon server from the Kindle with one of those commands and it just returned the normal values.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #107
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Yes, it's part of the package. (eta: not the update package, but it came with the K3 since the beginning.)

Way down on the Kindle sales page, it says:
"Includes free Wi-Fi access at AT&T hotspots across the U.S."
At least some of the AT&T hotspots are freely accessible with any wi-fi device, and the AT&T ones are but a fraction of the free hotspots available to Kindle. You can see how it works though - you're more likely to check a McDonald's, Starbucks, FedEx because of AT&T's participation, and the idea that Kindle has free access in those specific storefronts.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #108
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
At least some of the AT&T hotspots are freely accessible with any wi-fi device, and the AT&T ones are but a fraction of the free hotspots available to Kindle. You can see how it works though - you're more likely to check a McDonald's, Starbucks, FedEx because of AT&T's participation, and the idea that Kindle has free access in those specific storefronts.
Makes sense to do a partnership with food and coffee shops and would explain why its listed as something called Sponsored Hotspots in the Kindle firmware. I wonder if they'll do a Nook (or iPhone) and add exclusive content which you can only access when you're at one of these places. Starbucks with access to a book of the day or something.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #109
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Some of you might like to know that the 'improved subscription format' applies to calibre-generated 'fetch news' items as well. It is SO much better now!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #110
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Bonhoeffer by Metaxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Does anyone know of a sample that has page numbers included? I'd like to see how it actually works before slagging off on it.
Try "Bonhoeffer" by Metaxis. It has the page numbers. Now we can cite page locations as references.

My numbers:

Firmware Update to: 3.1 (558700031)

Kindle for PC to 1.4.1 (31629)

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #111
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I like that the default public domain page numbering scheme is now percent complete, perhaps because that is what I saw for years on my Palm PDA's. But it is disconcerting that you can Go To the Location, which you never see except if you press the menu key, but cannot Go To the percentage number constantly visible as you read.

Yes, I am able to do the arithmetic in my head to convert percent to location. But good user interface design gives several ways to take an action, and certainly does not require the user to calculate.

A GoTo percent option wouldn't have to clutter up the user interface; just let me type in 5%, 5pct, etc., in the Location entry box. I tried it, and you can't.

One very nice feature: As noted by tomsem in #107 above, the Calibre-delivered news instantly became better organized. tomsem's post caused me to upgrade today rather than wait, and the feature was well worth it.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #112
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I am torn between having my own photos as screensavers and getting these new features. I really do like picking up my K3 and seeing Half Dome and other Yosemite scenes and local Cascades' scenes. It is just more pleasant than those provided. But the fact that upgrading may create problems removing the hacks or eliminating adding more hacks is slowing down my 'reaction time.'

So for now I sit on the sidelines mulling the choices...
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #113
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I am torn between having my own photos as screensavers and getting these new features. I really do like picking up my K3 and seeing Half Dome and other Yosemite scenes and local Cascades' scenes. It is just more pleasant than those provided. But the fact that upgrading may create problems removing the hacks or eliminating adding more hacks is slowing down my 'reaction time.'

So for now I sit on the sidelines mulling the choices...
I'm in the same boat. I've been mulling it over all day. I think I'm going to go ahead and uninstall the hacks and update. Since this update basically "freezes" the hacks if I leave them on, I worry that it's possible that a future update might have problems, so I don't want to take a chance and update with them on there. I'm hoping that the devs will dig in and issue a new jailbreak and hacks soon.

Edited to add (rather than create a new post): I went ahead, uninstalled the hacks and updated. Wow, it seems a lot snappier. Menus, selecting and page turns all seem a lot faster. There seems to be less ghosting when using menus or moving the selection line through collections and such too. I also like the new article view changes. None of my books will get page numbers because... um, well Amazon doesn't know which ones are theirs but I didn't care about that anyway. I just wanted to see if it really was faster and yes, it is. I haven't tried the browser yet since the update. I bet it makes playing Triple Town faster and smoother too. (Priorities, ya know )

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 02-09-2011 at 12:12 AM.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #114
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I guess I should explore what's needed to remove the hacks and make sure I've got the UNhack hacks. I gather the info is in the first message of the hack thread.

I've only got the initial jailbreak and the ss hack.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #115
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The jailbreak and SS hack seem to be working fine if installed before the 3.1 update - at least mine is OK.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #116
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I'm sure I saw someone say, in one of the various threads about the 3.1 update, that it might not be possible to uninstall various hacks after installing the update. If true, that's something people need to take into account when deciding whether to install the update with hacks in place, or uninstall the hacks first.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #117
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Are they ever going to add a simple mp3 player GUI or is it going to sit in the experimental menu being halfway competent until the next Kindle comes out?
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #118
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
EldRick, Jailbreak not works after upgrade.

I have small workaround to stay hacked in 3.1 firmware:
Before upgrade:
1. Install Jailbreak
2. Install usbNetwork
3. Upgrade to 3.1 firmware
4. Backup original file /etc/uks/pubprodkey01.pem
5. Rename pubhackkey01.pem to pubprodkey01.pem
That's all. Now you can install/uninstall any hacks (except Amazon's firmware, to install it you must revert original.pem file)
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #119
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticallion View Post
Are they ever going to add a simple mp3 player GUI
My guess is "no."
1, The Kindle is an ereader, not a multimedia device.
2, and probably more importantly, any functional MP3 player would allow for the playback of MP3 audibooks...i.e., audio books NOT bought from Audible (which Amazon owns) so Amazon probably feels very little motivation to do this.
Probably the same reason they are not supporting epub books, and that is at least relevant to the device's primary function and important to lots of ereader customers.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #120
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
I have small workaround to stay hacked in 3.1 firmware:
Before upgrade:
1. Install Jailbreak
2. Install usbNetwork
3. Upgrade to 3.1 firmware
4. Backup original file /etc/uks/pubprodkey01.pem
5. Rename pubhackkey01.pem to pubprodkey01.pem
That's all. Now you can install/uninstall any hacks (except Amazon's firmware, to install it you must revert original.pem file)
Just a warning to others. Its not a good idea doing this unless you know exactly what you're doing and understand the risks involved. If you kill the Kindle from the command line then it will require servicing or replacement by Amazon as we're currently unable to restore a broken root fs for a K3. If you do know what you're doing then this works but for general users or anybody not confident with command line UNIX commands, don't do this and its why its not been recommended.

Its also still possible that an OTA update will arrive with the 2nd key even though its a backup key from what I can tell and not used so far.