Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Ababakar
Ababakar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader for RSS-feeds and maybe some epub-books

Hi there,

first i thought about an ereader for reading scientific documents (biochemistry - so some pictures + chemical formulas) - and was ready to pay a bigger amount for the reader - but as they are mainly pdf and this seems to be a problem i changed the use for the reader:

I am also reading a lot of abstracts only -
an example
so handling rss-feeds would be the main use for the reader.
Downloading them in the morning/evening - and as it takes me an hour from/to work - i would use the time for reading and working with the feed entrys.

The pictures don't have to be shown perfect- the text is more important.
Also it would be nice to bookmark interesting abstracts (feed entrys) to read the whole article later on tablet/desktop.
A dictionary (german english for some words) would also be good. And maybe the possibility to take some notes.
Also i would prefer if the reader could use epub - as i got a calibre (using linux - if this matters) library where i would want to test to convert some books from pdf.

Beside the feeds for my work i would also use this for some "normal" news feeds.

Before i was thinking about the Sony PRS-T2 or the Onyx Boox i62 - but as i thing rss feeds are a task a lot of readers may handle quite well also some of the readers costing less than 100 Euros are in for the race.

Which one would you suggest me??

Last edited by Ababakar; 10-31-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: more gerneral
Ababakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Is the price for a Sony PRS T2 or Onyx Boox i62 your top limit? The point of my question is that you most probably won't become happy with a 6" reader if you want to read academic papers or pdf files on it. For this you will need a 9,7" reader like Onyx M92 or Pocketbook 912. Or a tablet, like many members here will advice. But the bigger readers will cost a lot more.

Also, converting epub to pdf might prove difficult. Most probably you will lose the layout and you will have to do quite a lot of manual work after the conversion.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Ababakar
Ababakar began at the beginning.

Device: none
you misunderstood me - i definetly don`t want to read pdfs on it. This was only my first thought - but i dropped it as i found out about the e-reader and pdf problems.

I "only" want to read the RSS-Feeds with short abstracts - like the one linked.

So i actually only search one that is good for sorting these, maybe a dictonary, making bookmarks of interesting ones.
And thatfor i think Onyx for example might be a waste of money - and i can get the same results with spending much less money.

Manual work is fine - as i am using linux i am not afraid of that.
(just to make clear: that shouldn't frighten anyone from using linux - there are a lot of distributions which are as easy to use as windows and others (so - try it - doesn't cost a thing)).

Last edited by Ababakar; 10-31-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Ababakar is offline   Reply With Quote