Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
mike.katina
Enthusiast
mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Acer Iconia A100

Help me please ! . . ..

I have a hip street 7" colour reader that works great with calibre but today I bought the Iconia a100 . . .

went to the acer site, downloaded all the drivers and sync stuff they had for my unit,

updated windows to the latest updates,

Calibre wont see the Iconia, even though I re-ran the welcome wizard and selected the android tablet.

I cannot assign a drive letter to the tablet or map it.

The Iconia runs honeycomb (3.2)

my pc (win7-64) see's the tablet (via plugged in with usb cable) and I can drop the epub's in it, but it was nice when calibre did that for me and I was able to see in my library what I currently had on my reader. (Am I lazy?)

I use Aldiko as a reader and it's fantastic on the tablet. (A lot of people complain about battery life but they have WiFi on all the time and play need for speed all day long, what do they expect ?)
mike.katina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I have no idea how Calibre works with Android tablets. But do you have a drive letter for your Iconia? Or is it only a "device"?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
mike.katina
Enthusiast
mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike.katina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I forget to mention, it was late . . .

No, there is no drive letter, windows sees the Iconia as a media player. I tried to map it and assign a drive letter but it cannot do that. that's why I went to acer and downloaded the newest drivers . . .
Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
mike.katina
Enthusiast

I'm pretty nifty with a pc, new from yesterday with android, if there is anything I can do to help research this, let me know, I'm at home full time and this is a project worth spending time, this is a great community that is worth the effort.

I fix and build custom gaming machines at home and have myself quite a decent hardware setup as well.

like I said, I don't know where to throw my head right now on this but I do have an idea and am getting the files required to test this hypothesis and I will definitely write an howto on the subject if it works but I'm not crossing my fingers on it yet . . .
Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.katina View Post
Sorry I forget to mention, it was late . . .

No, there is no drive letter, windows sees the Iconia as a media player. I tried to map it and assign a drive letter but it cannot do that. that's why I went to acer and downloaded the newest drivers . . .
Hmm, in that case, I have no idea... Maybe you should ask this question in the Calibre forums. There must be people there that can help you!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
mike.katina
Enthusiast

Well, this worked for me,

I installed splashtop HD

http://www.androidxmarket.com/applic...-1-9-5-12.html

and now, I can log onto my pc, open Calibre, get the books I want and save them on the desktop and get them from there into my tablet. Not the greatest, but the best solution I have seen so far.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
For Android to work you need to enable USB support on your tab. Also once connected you need to "Mount USB".

That said the power of Android is through it's wireless sync ability, USB really is a pain. I rarely connect my android devices because there is no need.

There are much easier ways to transfer books.

You can use dropbox, dropsync, ES explorer (share a folder on your computer and use ES Explorer navigate to it).

Calibre also supports ODPS catalog via it's web server. Apps like Alkdio and Moon+ Reader support this format and you can directly download books into these reader apps. Personally this is one of my favorite features since I can search for books using Moon/calibre and just directly download my books into my reading app.

For products that don't support ODPS you can surf to calibres website.

(I've setup my router to allow me to access calibre through the web so I can download books from outside my home.)

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 09-13-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: missed a closing bracket
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
mike.katina
Enthusiast

Thanks X,

Similar to what I have found on my Iconia A100 GB3.2

I use "splashtop Remote Desktop HD" to remote access my desktop, fullscreen control with sound and stream just like if I was using a win7 netbook with windows own remote desktop . . .

so I can log onto my pc, start calibre, do a search and what not, select the books I want to transfer to my tablet, copy them to the desktop, and it then just syncs to my sd card in the Iconia. Just have to open the book and read it, no going to the pc at all !
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
vinarian
vinarian began at the beginning.

Device: archos 7 home tablet
As of version 0.9 and later, calibre now works with most android tablets, including but not limited to Acer a100, Kindle Fire HD, and Google Nexus Tablet. There is no longer any need for using the web server work-around, just plug in the tablet and go.
vinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I use the Calibre Companion on the Android tablet and Calibre on the PC so I can synch the two that way. It isn't a free app, but it works.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote