Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Unhappy Unable to download epub books via wireless on iPad wifi model

I can see the Calibre webserver/webpage and books from Safari Web Browser, but when I click on the epub hyperlink the book is not being displayed or downloaded at all, nothing happens. Safari certainly asked me what to do after clicking, I select "open with iBooks" but the books is not being downloaded into iBook collection.

I tested with DROPBOX and have no problem. I tested on the local host (where Calibre is running) and no problems either.

Calibre book's content is in an Ubuntu headless server, Calibre itself (program) running on my Ubuntu laptop using the server's folder as mount point and of course, iPad wifi on same network.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I can see the Calibre webserver/webpage and books from Safari Web Browser, but when I click on the epub hyperlink the book is not being displayed or downloaded at all, nothing happens.
I have no clue, are you using the http://webserver/mobile url?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm...

No, I was using

http:\\x.x.x.x.:8080

no "mobile" on any place. Do I have to include that in the URL?

Thanks for reply...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
http:\\x.x.x.x.:8080
You shouldn't have to but it's worth a try

http://x.x.x.x:8080/mobile
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

Still no luck, same issue... it even opens iBook, I see the iBook's animation and everything but when all that process is done, the book's cover is not there!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
For the latest UI use
Code:
http://<local ip of computer running content server>:8080/browse
I open the link in Safari, click 'Get' for the book I want transferred, and then specify 'Open in iBooks'.

This works for me running 0.7.46 under OSX.

Make sure that you select the default 'Books' collection in iBooks, that's where all downloads are stored initially.

If what you're saying is that the book is in iBooks, but the cover is not the cover you've added in calibre, that's a different issue. Is that what you're saying?

G

Last edited by GRiker; 02-19-2011 at 11:38 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

Well, it is really weird, let me describe the problem again...

1. In Safari, I put this: http://x.x.x.x.:8080
2. Then, all my collection is displayed in Safari Browser, no issues
3. I select any book and click on "epub" hyperlink
4. The page got refreshed and two options or buttons appears: one for open via iBooks and the other button is "open with" or something like that, iBooks is an option on that button plus Goodreader
5. I select iBooks (or the other one, iBooks as well)
6. Then iBooks opens.
7. Upper left corner started showing internet activity. On my Ubuntu Laptop I can see that the file is being uploaded.
8. Like 2 or 3 seconds the Internet Activity animation stops on my iPad
9. Nothing on the iBook....no book...no cover...no nothing...

Some specs:
-My book collection resides on an Ubuntu Lucid headless server (but I also tested moving that to the laptop)
-My Laptop, the one who runs Calibre, is running Ubuntu Linux / Lucid
-Calibre version 0.6.42

All machines are on same private network: 192.168.1.x and they see each other with no issues.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-19-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is difficult to work out what might be going wrong for you. On my iPad at step 9 the book is open in iBooks, and is in the iBooks library.

The only difference I can see is that I am running Calibre on a Windows system, and it is recent version of Calibre (0.7.46). Is there a reason that your Calibre is so out-of-date?

Last edited by itimpi; 02-20-2011 at 03:57 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It is difficult to work out what might be going wrong for you. On my iPad at step 9 the book is open in iBooks, and is in the iBooks library.

The only difference I can see is that I am running Calibre on a Windows system, and it is recent version of Calibre (0.7.46). Is there a reason that your Calibre is so out-of-date?
I think you helped me a lot, believe it or not.

I do have that version because is the Linux version, Calibre is on my Ubuntu machine. But let me try or test with my Windows laptop and see what happens. My work's laptop is the only one running Windows Os.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I do have that version because is the Linux version, Calibre is on my Ubuntu machine.
The distribution packets of Calibre are usually way outdated because of Calibre's fast release schedule. You can manually install the latest version following these instructions.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I do have that version because is the Linux version, Calibre is on my Ubuntu machine.
There is also a Linux version of 0.7.46, but you have to use the binary install package from the Calibre site. It sounds as if you are using the version from the Ubuntu repository which is badly out-of-date.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Hmmmm, I installed the binaries from website but you guys probably are right. Let me uninstall and install most recent one and test again ...
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hmmmm, I installed the binaries from website but you guys probably are right. Let me uninstall and install most recent one and test again ...
You don't even need to un-install on Ubuntu, Just paste the entire command line given, into a terminal window, supply the proper password and wait a few...
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

I am a happy man now! Installed most recent version (0.7.46) and I am able to download books via Safari!

Thank a lot guys!

Tags
calibre, connecting, download ebooks, ipad