Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #106
ReadTillYouBleed
ReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than momReadTillYouBleed loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
In 20 years we may be ABSORBING books from brain devices and reading with our eyes may be totally unnecessary.
Exactly, and at that point we can fully expect Calibre to be able to take our ancient epubs and beam them into our brains. It's called format conversion.
ReadTillYouBleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #107
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadTillYouBleed View Post
Exactly, and at that point we can fully expect Calibre to be able to take our ancient epubs and beam them into our brains. It's called format conversion.
That will be when Kovid will call it version 2.0.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #108
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadTillYouBleed View Post
So how would we utilize these beamed books? For me a book unfolds (for want of a better term). For fiction anyway the pleasure is in the reading, page by page.

If an encyclopedia was beamed into my brain, or all of the cookbooks I own, or all of the textbooks I have studied etc. would I know all of that or have to somehow search inside my brain to access them? synapses can be a tad fragile I am told.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #109
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
So how would we utilize these beamed books? For me a book unfolds (for want of a better term). For fiction anyway the pleasure is in the reading, page by page.

If an encyclopedia was beamed into my brain, or all of the cookbooks I own, or all of the textbooks I have studied etc. would I know all of that or have to somehow search inside my brain to access them? synapses can be a tad fragile I am told.

Helen
if so, then @sirmaru is still wrong!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #110
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Into-the-brain-book-beaming will be a great way to absorb knowledge--if the goal is simply to know/learn stuff. It would be horrible for story-telling. Sure I'd know everything that happened in the book, but I'd have to re-think about all of it in order to present it to myself as some sort of narrative. Then, even that self-thought narrative would be spoiled because I already know how it all turns out.

No, there will be no "beaming" of fiction books. Now if movies could be played directly on my brain-screen... I'd be all about that!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #111
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Into-the-brain-book-beaming will be a great way to absorb knowledge--if the goal is simply to know/learn stuff. It would be horrible for story-telling. Sure I'd know everything that happened in the book, but I'd have to re-think about all of it in order to present it to myself as some sort of narrative. Then, even that self-thought narrative would be spoiled because I already know how it all turns out.
Not necessarily.
If all it did was disable the external input interrupts while keeping the input filtering active, you could decide the rate of absorption but still be much faster than conventional reading.
(Think of how you might have experienced having a dream that took seemingly hours but in reality only a few minutes passed. The brain can work fast if it's left to itself and doesn't constantly have to query external input resources.)

Anyway, this reminds me of this story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profess...short_story%29
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #112
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

No, there will be no "beaming" of fiction books. Now if movies could be played directly on my brain-screen... I'd be all about that!
Reminds me of the movie 'Brainstorm'
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #113
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Not necessarily.
If all it did was disable the external input interrupts while keeping the input filtering active, you could decide the rate of absorption but still be much faster than conventional reading.
(Think of how you might have experienced having a dream that took seemingly hours but in reality only a few minutes passed. The brain can work fast if it's left to itself and doesn't constantly have to query external input resources.)

Anyway, this reminds me of this story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profess...short_story%29
Ah... in other words, rather than beaming the story in toto to your brain, you'd still be sort-of "reading" it (or at least processing it) serially. Just at the "speed of brain" instead of the "speed of eye->nerve->brain." I could be down with that.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #114
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Not necessarily.

When a dream seems to take hours, it's not that the brain is working fast, it's just skipping over the boring bits.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #115
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Lord Amazon IS our Backup in the Sky. We need no other since Amazon will outlive all of us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehman_Brothers

Started in 1850. No one ever thought that was going to collapse and vanish, either.

Obviously, though, if you consider books disposable (watch once and chuck) then you don't care if it even works tomorrow. I've met people like that - and I understand it, in a way - but not everyone is like that.

I re-read A Song of Ice and Fire every time a new book comes out. So I've read Game of Thrones like 5-6 times. I've re-read my favorite authors dozens of times - especially folks like Isaac Asimov that I started reading in high school. Whenever I'm having a rough time in life, I re-read the Farseer Trilogy or re-watch Fellowship of the Ring.

What you need to understand is that some people don't feel that these things are disposable, and that they would like to re-read them down the road - and that your viewpoint is not the only correct one.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-24-2014 at 05:46 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #116
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You folks have been amplifying on beaming books to your brains. Just google "Project 2045," and you will see a description of a REAL project being undertaken by a Russian billionaire to beam our brains into avatars which will be called a "full body prosthesis."

You will probably have to be a billionaire to afford that "operation."

If they develop a way to beam our brains into an avatar, beaming books into our brains will be easy. Unfortunately, I won't be alive to try.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #117
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You can't "beam" a brain anywhere. That's just silly. Surely you mean "transfer consciousness."