Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #76
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I predict a sub-$100 price for the basic pagewhite.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #77
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by humandroid View Post
Anyone want to make some predictions on the price?
Same as current Touch models. They will make their money off of book sales.
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #78
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by humandroid View Post
Anyone want to make some predictions on the price?
i'd say $119.99. no real reason other than that number feels right to me.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #79
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
If eink displays start getting very white I hope they introduce an option to dial-back the 'whiteness' of the background. I often find books (usually hardcovers) printed on very light-coloured paper hard to read in the bright sun.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #80
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
A lot of people seem to be focusing on the front-lit aspect, but it is the "PaperWhite" part that I find really interesting. If Amazon releases something that dramatically improves contrast, that would be really exciting. I'd love to see eInk with a contrast ratio closer to the whiteness of a piece of paper from the page of a book instead of the dull gray of a newspaper page. Of coarse, it is probably just a front light, but I can hope.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #81
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
How did you turn pages on the Kindle Keyboard without moving your thumbs?
Well, I just rest my thumb on the page-forward button and make a slight press - no movement of the thumb required.
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #82
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
How did you turn pages on the Kindle Keyboard without moving your thumbs?
What's next? You may have been impressed with retina display, but wait til you see the "Thought Control Kindle!"

Last edited by kennyc; 09-01-2012 at 05:55 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #83
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Thought control Kindle..... no thanks, that would require you to actually think to turn a page, a Kindle with page turn buttons just requires a slight nudge of your thumb and can be done subconsciously! A boon for us lazy folk who bemoan the tiresome act of having to lift your thumb to tap/swipe the screen.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #84
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay then, up next "Auto Page Turn" much like the dreaded "Continuous Scroll"
Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #85
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Eye-tracking Kindle, Circa 2025.
It watches your eye movements as you read and pages when you reach the page turn icon at the bottom of the page.
(This is doable today but it'll take a while before they can get the processing power and algorithms out of the PC and into smartphones and readers.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_tracking

I'd still prefer the paging buttons on the basic Kindle, though.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #86
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
Well, I just rest my thumb on the page-forward button and make a slight press - no movement of the thumb required.
I was just ribbing you. That's how I do it on my K-3 (which I still use along with my Touch). In truth it would be nice if a Touch model also incorporated the Keyboard's side buttons as an additional alternative to tapping the screen for page turns. They're very convenient, although the virtual keyboard on the Touch is better, in my opinion, and easier to use than the physical button keyboard on the K-3.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #87
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
A lot of people seem to be focusing on the front-lit aspect, but it is the "PaperWhite" part that I find really interesting.
See above. My point was that, according to the WSJ and certain early adopters here, the new PRS-T2's screen is markedly whiter than that of the devices which preceded it.

Here's how this is relevant to the new Kindle:

Either Amazon has developed a new kind of e-ink screen or all e-ink devices going forward will likely show the same improvement, though perhaps not Amazon's flair for marketing it.

It matters because an overall improvement would not be an incentive to buy a particular model by a particular brand unless the consumer were married to the Amazon format, ecosystem and/or customer experience.

But in order to know, we'll have to wait until more information is available. I'm looking forward to a screen comparison between the T2 and the new Kindle. (Isn't a new Nook about to make an appearance as well?)

However, even if it turns out the new whiter screen will be adopted by other companies, there is still the specific combination of features to consider. If you were looking for the glow light of the ST combined with the whiter screen of the Kindle, PRS-T2 and/or other next-gen e-ink e-readers, then for now, the new Kindle might well be the e-ink device to buy. It becomes especially attractive if you're partial to the Amazon store and if Amazon has managed to improve the front-lighting.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-01-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #88
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Eye-tracking Kindle, Circa 2025.
It watches your eye movements as you read and pages when you reach the page turn icon at the bottom of the page.
(This is doable today but it'll take a while before they can get the processing power and algorithms out of the PC and into smartphones and readers.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_tracking

I'd still prefer the paging buttons on the basic Kindle, though.
I'd actually say it's closer to reality than 2025. The Galaxy S3 claims to know when you're looking at the screen, although I'm sure their tracking is pretty crude. But the actual processing power involved in tracking the eye isn't all that much these days. Battery power for the camera is probably one of the really larger obstacles. There's also some work that would have to be done on dealing with the idea of the surface that you're doing the tracking from and reading moving in relation to the head, that does complicate matters.

Now, that said, obviously I doubt anyone would be likely to do it for a reader, it's just not a reasonable enough application for it. But the difference between where we were 20 years ago with eye tracking and where we are now is pretty impressive. About 20 years ago I took a soldering iron to an $80k eye tracking machine that took up the entire top of a table . Thankfully nobody told me how much the thing cost until *after* they had me do that.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #89
kennyc

20 years ago, dude! That was before the Internet!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #90
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
See above. My point was that, according to the WSJ and certain early adopters here, the new PRS-T2's screen is markedly whiter than that of the devices which preceded it.

Here's how this is relevant to the new Kindle:

Either Amazon has developed a new kind of e-ink screen or all e-ink devices going forward will likely show the same improvement, though perhaps not Amazon's flair for marketing it.

It matters because an overall improvement would not be an incentive to buy a particular model by a particular brand unless the consumer were married to the Amazon format, ecosystem and/or customer experience.

But in order to know, we'll have to wait until more information is available. I'm looking forward to a screen comparison between the T2 and the new Kindle. (Isn't a new Nook about to make an appearance as well?)

However, even if it turns out the new whiter screen will be adopted by other companies, there is still the specific combination of features to consider. If you were looking for the glow light of the ST combined with the whiter screen of the Kindle, PRS-T2 and/or other next-gen e-ink e-readers, then for now, the new Kindle might well be the e-ink device to buy. It becomes especially attractive if you're partial to the Amazon store and if Amazon has managed to improve the front-lighting.
I'll be very interested to see the new device.

It's interesting to me that Sony's material for the T2 doesn't mention the whiter screen, and not all reviews mention it, either (i.e., the All Things D review on the WSJ). According to the specs, it's just a pearl screen.

On the other hand, Amazon is *calling the thing* Paperwhite; so obviously they think the increased whiteness is a big deal. It is possible, of course, that Amazon has a new screen technology that is noticeably whiter. This is possible, although I'm kind of skeptical, since Amazon doesn't develop its own screens and I haven't heard anything about e-ink coming up with something better. (And current e-ink is a long way from the background being close to paper white). ON the other hand, I think Amazon was the first company with access to the pearl screen, so maybe they are the first with access to some new screen.

But what I really suspect is that the screen looks really white *when the light is used*. It's already the case that pearl screen in sunlight look noticeably whiter than they do under a reading light less bright than the sun, so my theory is that there is some aspect of the frontlighting that brings out the whiteness of the screen and maybe enhances the contrast as well.

I guess we'll know soon enough.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote