Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
update 1.1 coming in January

Found this on the BN forums. Appears update 1.1 coming by end of the month.

"At Barnes & Noble we are focused on providing the best device experience for end users and are working to bring first class applications to the NOOKcolor in Q1/2011. We want end users to have a seamless high quality application experience on NOOKcolor with great content, games, applications, and reading centric content.

Within the upcoming NOOKcolor 1.1 update, are adding added "Developer Mode". This enabled 3rd party developers to use the Android SDK to test and develop applications on their NOOKcolor devices. In providing direct hardware access we believe this will result in higher quality software applications and an overall better customer experience.

We are working hard internally to make applications on NOOKcolor a great experience for end users and developers alike."

"A serious bug in WiFi, a memory leak in browser, and overall tune-ups. 1.1 is coming up later in Jan!"

Ted Patrick
Developer Evangelist
Barnes & Noble

waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
I can't wait
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
No Android 2.2 I want flash.
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Interesting that you left out the beginning of the quote:

Quote:
"If an end user modifies NOOKcolor from its managed software configuration, there are implication in regard to both warranty or technical support for the device. Please consult the terms and conditions within the user manual for details."
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Rachel9732
Rachel9732 began at the beginning.

My Nook Color updated with this yesterday. I haven't noticed anything different.
Rachel9732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel9732 View Post
My Nook Color updated with this yesterday. I haven't noticed anything different.
You're probably thinking 1.01, not 1.1
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
lol. I thought this was going to be the new froyo update. When is that one supposed to be?
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
KickYerJunk
KickYerJunk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel9732 View Post
This person is definitely thinking 1.0.1 and not 1.1. Funny that I still haven't received even the 1.0.1 update on my replacement NC (and I've been too lazy to sideload it recently).

I love the inconsistencies of what I've read and what the B&N reps have told me will be available in the 1.1 update. From the above quote I'm not really expecting much really in the way of applications for the NC. But if you ask a rep they make it sound like the Android Marketplace is going to become available (without rooting of course). Pretty sad that the code is there (as we have seen from the rooting capabilities), but we are being held back by B&N so that we can only use what they deem "useful" on our devices.

As far as the Android 2.2 update, I have heard it's another 6 months out.
KickYerJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickYerJunk View Post
This guy is definitely thinking 1.0.1 and not 1.1. I love the inconsistencies of what I've read and what the B&N reps have told me will be available in the 1.1 update. From the above quote I'm not really expecting much really in the way of applications for the NC. But if you ask a rep they make it sound like the Android Marketplace is going to become available (without rooting of course). Pretty sad that the code is there (as we have seen from the rooting capabilities), but we are being held back by B&N so that we can only use what they deem "useful" on our devices.

As far as the Android 2.2 update, I have heard it's another 6 months out.
B&N isn't allowed to use the android marketplace. Licensing restrictions require stuff that are normally only on cellphones. Camera, no GPS, cellphone radio..etc...stuff the NC doesn't have. The Galaxy tab gets away with pretending to be a giant cellphone (thus the cameras/3g/GPS/etc).

Plus, considering how little of a profit margin they sell the NC on, I'm sure they don't want people buying it and just using the Kindle app.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Interesting that you left out the beginning of the quote:
That was done on purpose. That issue is for another dedicated post.
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.1, nook color, update