Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #46
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll nominate Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It was converted from the British language.
Oh for goodness' sake! It was written in ENGLISH and then "translated" into American English. I fail to see why that is necessary, but there you go. In any case, it certainly wasn't written in a language other than English.

indeed!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #47
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I'll third Blind Owl
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #48
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
I'll third Night Watch.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #49
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND by JULES VERNE
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #50
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I might get in trouble with the series police here, but I thought I'd throw out a Polish fantasy nomination.

My nomination is The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Now, this is the first book chronologically and (I believe) the first released in English translation. However, it was not the first published in Polish. It's really a collection of short stories as I understand it - introducing the legend of Geralt, the Witcher.

This series seems to have been a big sensation in Poland and it spawned a pretty well-known computer game and a Polish TV series. I know far less about it than I'm making out, but I wouldn't mind rectifying that.

Anyway - here's the blurb:

Quote:
Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin.

And a cold-blooded killer.

His sole purpose: to destroy the monsters that plague the world.

But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good. . . and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.

The international hit that inspired the video game: The Witcher.
Not much to it - but here's an excerpt from Wikipedia that gives an idea of the format:

Quote:
The collection employs the frame story framework and contains 7 main short stories; Geralt of Rivia, after having been injured in battle, rests in a temple. During that time he has flashbacks to recent events in his life, each of which forms a story of its own.
Anyway - here's some links:

Amazon (US): LINK
Amazon (UK): LINK
Amazon (CA): LINK
B&N (US): LINK
Kobo (AUS): LINK
Google Play (AUS): LINK

Also has some Overdrive availability in German, Canada and US. Here's a link:
LINK
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #51
Aggie
Aggie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Calssic
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post

My nomination is The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Now, this is the first book chronologically and (I believe) the first released in English translation. However, it was not the first published in Polish. It's really a collection of short stories as I understand it - introducing the legend of Geralt, the Witcher.

This series seems to have been a big sensation in Poland and it spawned a pretty well-known computer game and a Polish TV series. I know far less about it than I'm making out, but I wouldn't mind rectifying that.
You are right, this series is a big sensation in Poland. I think that here is no fantasy fan, who haven't read Sapkowski's books. The computer game is also very popular and masterpiece, but unfortunately TV series was horrible.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
I'll third Night Watch.
Night Watch makes 10. Poll coming soon.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsuits1 View Post
THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND by JULES VERNE
That one's already been a book of the month, and besides that...

Quote:
I might get in trouble with the series police here, but I thought I'd throw out a Polish fantasy nomination.

My nomination is The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski....
Sorry, but we've already got 10 nominations.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #54
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ah - that's fine. I was nominating mainly to get to 10, so no damage done.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Oh for goodness' sake! It was written in ENGLISH and then "translated" into American English. I fail to see why that is necessary, but there you go. In any case, it certainly wasn't written in a language other than English.

indeed!
Actually, American English and British English are both English. Just different because of the way the two countries developed. They both started off with the same English. Even Australian English is a form of English. None of them is wrong. None of them is not correct English. So if you are going to say American English, then please also say British English as what is spoken in America is just as valid as what's spoken in Britain.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Time for us to exercise our democratic rights!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225337
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #57
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
My nomination is The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Now, this is the first book chronologically and (I believe) the first released in English translation.
Thank you for the nomination even if it was a little too late - it looks like it is available at my library, so I will check it out some time.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote