Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
Kindle Fire & Canadians

Before I go through the joy of ordering one and then having it shipped to a friend in the U.S. to re-route back to me, i have a few questions:

Will Amazon Prime work for Canadians or will I need to use a U.S. Address?

Any other over the border issues I could encounter trying to load apps etc on there?

TIA

Fiona

P.S. though my hubby is pushing for me to get an ipad for one I'm planning to use it for I think the KF will better suit my needs plus is less expensive
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Fiona,

To load apps you need a U.S. credit card.

Regards,
Andreas
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder if a prepaid credit card bought in USA will work. You can purchase prepaid credit cards (VISA, Master Card, etc.) at most major stores in the USA. I know these work for Amazon accounts registered in the USA--not sure about Canada though. In the USA people who don't have a credit card have successfully used them to purchase books and apps.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if Amazon Prime will work - are you wanting to know if you can get the Free Prime Videos?

I have no idea but it wouldn't surprise me if they are legally obligated to block the content.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if Amazon Prime will work - are you wanting to know if you can get the Free Prime Videos?

I have no idea but it wouldn't surprise me if they are legally obligated to block the content.
I just want to know if its U.S. only or if Canadian can subscribe. or if they track IP addresses
Old 11-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
I just want to know if its U.S. only or if Canadian can subscribe. or if they track IP addresses
They track IP addresses. Not sure yet if a VPN solution will work, but I'm assuming it will. Just haven't had time to set it all up.

Amazon Prime shipping is ONLY to US addresses. (There is, however, an equivalent Prime in the UK, but again, nothing for Canada.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
They track IP addresses. Not sure yet if a VPN solution will work, but I'm assuming it will. Just haven't had time to set it all up.

Amazon Prime shipping is ONLY to US addresses. (There is, however, an equivalent Prime in the UK, but again, nothing for Canada.)
no worrys..I was really interested in the streaming videos with the Fire. Also I guess I can have stuff shipped to my friend too if that comes around

Thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The streaming videos should work with a VPN to a US server. StrongVPN or HideMyAss or one of the others. I'm going to give one of them a try in the next week or so. I need to set up a separate network here in the house to connect through.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
The streaming videos should work with a VPN to a US server. StrongVPN or HideMyAss or one of the others. I'm going to give one of them a try in the next week or so. I need to set up a separate network here in the house to connect through.

Sweet!! I hope that works out and I think we may do the same. I really really want that KF but want to make sure I work out at least most of the loopholes
Old 11-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
terraskye
Groupie

P.S. Does anyone have a link to available KF apps?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Go to the Android App store: http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/...ode=2350149011. Not all are supported on the Fire, but if you own a Fire, it tells you if an app isn't compatible.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Go to the Android App store: http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/...ode=2350149011. Not all are supported on the Fire, but if you own a Fire, it tells you if an app isn't compatible.

awesome!! for the life of me I couldn't find that area lol
Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #13
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
A sidenote: I am not sure whether they check IP addresses.

When I inquired with kindle customer service why I could not buy apps from the store in Europe, they answered me that having a US shipping address as default address with a US credit card should be sufficient. Otherwise US customers could not use it when traveling abroad.

I am now in the process of getting a USUnlocked debit card complete with US shipping address (thanks to a tip by forum member Friktion) and hope that this will solve my problem.

Regards, andreas
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
... they answered me that having a US shipping address as default address with a US credit card should be sufficient...
I can confirm that, I get the amazon appstore and get the daily free app from Canada by using a US address and US credit card in my Amazon account.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yup, same here. But no video without a US IP address.