Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
jsimms
jsimms began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Is it possible to embed PDFs in EPUB?

OK, this question probably sounds nuts, but here goes...

Is there a way to embed a PDF file in an EPUB? I have a high-res map that doesn't look good on an iPad or Nook screen (let alone a phone screen), and I'd like to embed the map as a PDF, so the user could then zoom in and find what they need. Maybe something that, once the user clicked on it, opened up in iBooks as a separate PDF. (Of course the dream would be to have something you could zoom in and out IN the EPUB, but I'm assuming that's still a ways off)

Anybody out there work with PDFs in EPUB???
jsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
You can't embed a PDF in an epub. Epub is a renamed .zip file, with some metadata attached to an HTML file or set of HTML files. Just like you can't embed a PDF inside an HTML file, you can't put one in an epub. You can make a link to one, but how that works depends on the software involved.

You might be able to make a link to a PDF file outside of the epub--but whether that would work depends on the software used to read the epub.

Zooming in on a PDF depends on the software used to read the PDF. On a Kindle or Sony 505, for example, there's no zoom option, so it doesn't matter if the PDF was used or not--readers would still be stuck with whatever was viewable on their screen. PDFs aren't inherently zoom-able; that depends on the reading software. (Just like making the map a jpg or png might be zoom-able if it were being read on a PC-based epub reader instead of a portable device.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
jsimms

Got it. Thanks for the info.

And here's to hoping that someday EPUB readers can handle more complex files than just low-res JPEGs.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

They can. I use svg images all of the time in epubs and they are perfectly scalable, zoomable, etc. Try to convert your pdf to an svg image.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

They can. I use svg images all of the time in epubs and they are perfectly scalable, zoomable, etc. Try to convert your pdf to an svg image.
Scalable and zoomable in what? I don't think my Sony Reader will zoom on images, regardless of what format they're made in.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
jsimms

The map I'm trying to embed was made in Illustrator. I just saved it as a SVG, added it to my EPUB, but my iPad doesn't allow any zooming, etc.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Scalable and zoomable in what? I don't think my Sony Reader will zoom on images, regardless of what format they're made in.
Hi,

That is funny. My Sony PRS-600 does it for all images. I simply go to the page with the image and then hit the button with magnifying glass + on it, and then hit the "Zoom In" button and a vertical magnification scrollbar appears along with navigation arrows to move around the zoomed image.

It seems to work great with my svg images. Everytime I zoom in, the image starts as fuzzy and then gets redrawn looking beautiful at that scale.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-17-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: more specific instructions
Old 04-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms View Post
The map I'm trying to embed was made in Illustrator. I just saved it as a SVG, added it to my EPUB, but my iPad doesn't allow any zooming, etc.
Sorry, I don't think iBooks support SVG images yet (even though it is part of the official epub spec). Have you tried in another epub reader on your ipad such as the Bluefire.app or Stanza or .. Perhaps it will work better?
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think iBooks support SVG images yet (even though it is part of the official epub spec). Have you tried in another epub reader on your ipad such as the Bluefire.app or Stanza or .. Perhaps it will work better?
Hi,

I created a quick svg image in an epub and loaded it into my iPad. Normally, in iBooks you simply double-click on an image and then iBooks loads it into its own screen and you can pinch to zoom and move around. When I do this with "SVG" images in an iPad, I get a blank screen and then iBooks terminates (crashes).

I tried with the Kobo reader software on iPad and none of the SVG images even showed up on the screen (quite sad). I tried with the Bluefire reader app and the svg images appeared but I could not figure out how to zoom in on any image, let alone a SVG image.

So you are right, this solution will not work on an iPad using iBooks, Bluefire, Kobos, etc It does work well on my Sony though.

Sorry for getting your hopes up. It may work in Safari. I know in Desktop Safari you can open standalone SVG images and zoom around on them (and with FireFox 4) but I am not sure if that would work on an iPad, though. You would probably be better off just making your entire ebook a pdf one and not an epub if you want it to work with scalable images on an iPad.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-17-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
@KevinH
iPub has so often proven absolute ignorance about the specs, that I'd always crosscheck with something different before asking myself what I've done wrong
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I started toying with SVG for a similar purpose. It did work in iBooks and was zoomable.
That was before the latest upgrades to iOS and iBooks and I haven't tried it since. They looked great but wouldn't validate as the file became too big.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

HI,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I started toying with SVG for a similar purpose. It did work in iBooks and was zoomable.
That was before the latest upgrades to iOS and iBooks and I haven't tried it since. They looked great but wouldn't validate as the file became too big.
That is good to know that it does work. Did you add the svg code directly in the html or did you simply include an image link to a separate .svg file? My iBooks just kept crashing when I tried to zoom using a standard html img link to an .svg file (but this approach works for my Sony reader and stragith html in Safari and Firefox 4).

Is there a sample epub you could post so that I can see how you got it to work in iBooks?

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 04-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
ePub Kindle conversion to .mobi via kindlegen also has a real problem with SVGs
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #14
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
HI,

That is good to know that it does work. Did you add the svg code directly in the html or did you simply include an image link to a separate .svg file? My iBooks just kept crashing when I tried to zoom using a standard html img link to an .svg file (but this approach works for my Sony reader and stragith html in Safari and Firefox 4).

Is there a sample epub you could post so that I can see how you got it to work in iBooks?

Thanks,

KevinH
Kev, I end up with so many versions of a book as it evolves that I don't keep old versions around otherwise they get mixed up. So I don't have one to send you.
However the way I added the SVG image was from Adobe InDesign. It was inserted into the text in InDesign and exported as an ePub in the same way the JPGs are with the ORIGINAL selected rather than FORMATTED which collects the SVG into the OPF folder.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
You can't embed a PDF in an epub.
Actually, you can embed a PDF in an ePUB. You can embed practically anything in an ePUB, the problem is there is no guaranty at all that any reading system will know what to do it, and you should provide a fallback for the (likely) case that the reader does not support the embedded content.

In the case of PDF, you can include a PDF file in the manifest, and link to it in the text, but you must include some fallback XHTML file to be used when the PDF is not supported. Even when the reader supports PDF, don't expect it to be opened in a nice user-friendly environment, it will probably be opened as a full page inside the ePUB viewer, with the same options as with any illustrations (usually no zoom, etc.)

If you want the user to be able to pan, zoom, rotate, etc. an image, that's a feature of the reading software, not something you can include or not in your ePUB.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub design