Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #31
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Has anyone successfully updated in France ? I have not yet connected to the wifi as I read something worrying about it in the other thread...

Thanks a lot
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
Has anyone successfully updated in France ? I have not yet connected to the wifi as I read something worrying about it in the other thread...

Thanks a lot
I've been getting connections errors with the desktop app for the past couple of days here in France. No idea if it's just me or more widespread. Haven't tried via wi-fi.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #33
GVC2031
Enthusiast
GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
I can't. Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel were my favourites along with Caecillia, now they are not . I'm not sure I've ever actually encountered BoldItalic in any book that I read so can't say (or maybe none of the Kobo fonts have bolditalic).
Where/how did you get the Kobo Nickel and Caecilla fonts? I have a Touch (2.1.5). Are these Glo fonts? Did both your Glo and Touch update to 2.3.1?

Curious minds... etc.
GVC2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVC2031 View Post
Where/how did you get the Kobo Nickel and Caecilla fonts? I have a Touch (2.1.5). Are these Glo fonts? Did both your Glo and Touch update to 2.3.1?

Curious minds... etc.
They both came with my Glo. Back when I was using the Touch I sideloaded Caecillia, but it was too thin to comfortably use.

I tried updating my KT today (surprised to find over 50% of battery left after not using it for well over 2 months), and it only got updated to 2.1.5.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #35
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
I've updated my KT to 2.3.1 today without problems (through desktop app), but I still cannot see the series implemantation. I have only sideloaded books, and I run Calibre 0.9.10.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_bear View Post
I've updated my KT to 2.3.1 today without problems (through desktop app), but I still cannot see the series implemantation. I have only sideloaded books, and I run Calibre 0.9.10.
Have you changed the driver configuration to update the series information? By default, it is off. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=74 for information about the change in calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #37
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Have you changed the driver configuration to update the series information? By default, it is off. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=74 for information about the change in calibre.
Thank you! . Karma on the way.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can someone try something for me?

Open an epub that has a few chapters. Open the TOC and select a chapter. Then page to the next chapter and at least one more page. Then, open the TOC again and see what chapter has a tick against it.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #39
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
CALL THE EXTERMINATORS!

Yeah, your suspicions appear correct. There is some sort of a bug where chapter is not being updated in TOC. Probably got borked when they recently added the % to the lower display dialog/menu line while reading.

I went to a chapter, paged through to the next which started on page 48, flipped pages until the page number advanced, went back to TOC and was still on the first chapter selected, not the new chapter of which I was now on the second page.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #40
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
CALL THE EXTERMINATORS!

Yeah, your suspicions appear correct. There is some sort of a bug where chapter is not being updated in TOC. Probably got borked when they recently added the % to the lower display dialog/menu line while reading.

I went to a chapter, paged through to the next which started on page 48, flipped pages until the page number advanced, went back to TOC and was still on the first chapter selected, not the new chapter of which I was now on the second page.
I think it has been this way for the last few versions.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Your guess on when the bug came in is probably right.

If you want more fun, do that again and then open the navigation bar and see what happens when you try to go to the next chapter or previous chapter.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #42
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Davidfor,

To be expected since it still thinks it's in the previous chapter. Somebody just forgot to increment a common pointer or variable somewhere.

When you consider how many variables are being accounted for, and used in different operations and dialogs I can see how it'd be easy to miss without testing routines based on variable dependencies every time you changed a module.

My biggest project to date was in real time control with a GUI front end on PC based hardware, multiple concurrent real world processes via multi-threading and semaphores, shared variables and structures, all written in C running over DOS and later Windoze, several hundred KB of hand typed code, and believe you me, it was a good thing that it was a solo effort or things would have been far worse! At least I was the only person making changes, no having to constantly check what somebody or several somebody's or teams were up to.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #43
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Davidfor,

To be expected since it still thinks it's in the previous chapter. Somebody just forgot to increment a common pointer or variable somewhere.

When you consider how many variables are being accounted for, and used in different operations and dialogs I can see how it'd be easy to miss without testing routines based on variable dependencies every time you changed a module.
There's something which has been around for a lot of time: automatic test-cases....
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

It's actually used in a few more places. As well as the TOC display and navigation bar, it is used in the annotations system. These are all stored relative to that last chapter selected. In the annotations list, the annotations will be listed under the wrong chapters. The current reading position is also stored relative to that chapter. I've seen a few comments elsewhere that epubs are reopening a pages or two off. I suspect that it is because the relative position over the whole book isn't as accurate as if it was to the current chapter.

As to development, I've worked solo, in small teams and in big teams. The processes in each situation are what saves you (plus knowing when to ignore them and occasionally walking around with a big stick). And as Terisa said, automatic test-cases help a lot.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #45
TechniSol

Hmmmm,

Call me old fashioned, but I think it still comes down to a lot of paying attention to what you're doing as you go -and remembering to cross all the T's and dot all the I's. I think that becomes markedly more difficult when others are making changes that you end up being dependent on while in the middle of things -maybe I'm just not designed to play well with others...

I probably shouldn't say this, but every time I do a firmware update on the KT and flip through the settings pages I shudder when I hit the About page and there are two full pages of names... Too many cooks for my taste, even if only a fraction represent the coding team. Maybe I'm just used to doing more with less.