Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Unwarrented Geographic Restrictions on Gifts

Yesterday Kobo announced that they will soon allow ebooks as gifts and today Amazon beat them to it by rolling out Kindle book gifts. However, from Kindle Support
Quote:
Eligibility to Redeem a Kindle Book Gift

Kindle book gift notifications can be sent to any e-mail address. If the giver and the recipient do not live in the same country, the book may not available to the recipient due to copyright restrictions. In these cases the recipient will be given the option to request an exchange for gift credit on their Amazon.com account during the redemption process, or they may contact Customer Service for assistance in exchanging the book.
How can geographic restrictions apply to both the giver and the receiver of the gift? My initial thought was that perhaps this isn't a gift at all, but rather a gift card in disguise (i.e. the gift is money rather than an ebook). However, US ebooks from Agency publishers are charged sales tax in the purchaser's state. So I bought a Kindle Agency book as a gift and sure enough I was charged sales tax. At this point I can't see how anyone can argue that I have not in fact bought the ebook legally in the US. So why can't someone from outside the US download my copy of this ebook as a gift? I did not test this, but I'm sure if the receiver isn't eligible to download the ebook the credit they get instead won't include the state sales tax.

In my view, Amazon is trying to placate publisher's with unnecessary geographic restrictions. This cries out for a law suit. In fact, the best suit would be against Amazon and an Agency Publisher. If I get charged sales tax by the publisher, they have sold me the ebook as a gift and they should deliver it to any one I choose.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Because the publisher would rather you buy it yourself, crack it and email them a copy, because their business model these days is to lower sales numbers where possible?

;-)
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Trying to buy gifts from Amazon is very frustrating , I tried to buy a M-Edge jacket and Kandle light, neither are shipped to Australia.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
Trying to buy gifts from Amazon is very frustrating , I tried to buy a M-Edge jacket and Kandle light, neither are shipped to Australia.
I had a rather easy time of sending my niece some fashion design books and stencils, along with some colored pencils, several weeks ago. Granted we both live within the continental US, but far easier than shopping in a physical store and then taking the items to ship them myself, especially since I would probably have to drive at least an hour to find books of that ilk.

As to Kindle gifts and geographic restrictions, lay the blame squarely where it belongs, on the publishers. Perhaps some day they will join us in the 21st century....
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
One way Amazon 'placates' publishers, by the way, Wallcraft, is by demanding a penal 65% sales commission (please don't call that a 'royalty' when talking about *real* publishers) on sales to Kindle buyers outside the US and UK. My own house, registered in Canada and the USA, holds international rights to all titles, refuses DRM and will not go Agency 5. We should consider ourselves 'placated'? Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
How can geographic restrictions apply to both the giver and the receiver of the gift?
My guess is that allowing gifts to be sent anywhere would create a huge loophole in geo restrictions. As such, it's entirely plausible that all parties agreed to apply restrictions to the recipients.

The idea of a lawsuit is downright laughable. Like it or not, retailers have no obligations to obey your every last whim in such matters. If I buy a gift through Kobo or Amazon, they certainly aren't required to send it to a war zone or a remote corner of the Sahara, or to ship [u]The Satanic Verses[/i] to someone in Saudi Arabia.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I suppose they could check the IP address of the recipient just as some retailers do now.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote