Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Loading the books via wifi like I can with the Stanza/Calibre duo would be necessary for me. You'd have to have something very special beyond what you've stated for me. Without drm, I use iBooks because of the visual appeal. If you improved on the iBook look, then perhaps.

But for the basic text on screen look, the stanza connection to Calibre and many online book sources, and being free, would give me little reason to pay money. The only reason I don't use iBooks for everything now is the need to copy books and for my drm'd books. Since you aren't addressing this, I doubt you'd get my money

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #17
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott161 View Post
To abide by copyright laws, this application will read only unsecured ebooks in the formats like (IMP, LRF, EPUB)
One app that could handle multiple DRM formats would be worth a great deal, probably quite a bit more than $5 to me. But if it can't handle reading DRM'd ebooks, it's not worth more than the current free apps (+ Goodreader, which is grossly underpriced for everything it does). Yes, it's a nuisance to have to use different apps for everything, but it's a very minor nuisance in the grand scheme of things.

Personal experience only: most people I know with various iDevices have a $2.99 limit for impulse buys. Anything over that needs to really be capable of demonstrating substantial value. If you're determined to set a higher price, think about preparing an ad-supported or feature limited free version as a trial option. Typically, if an app is worth having based on the trial, I'll buy the full version rather than dealing with either the limitations or the ads.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't think a reader app is an impulse buy. You either have a need for it or you don't.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
I was all ready to say no, but then I thought again. If the reader implemented all of the things mentioned so far (epub/mobi/hmtl etc) but integrated with something like Calibre so searching and organising of books could be done by tag, being able to rate books/mark read etc. and then to have it sync back to Calibre plus of course the added ability to do this wirelessly as well, then I miht even pay a bit more than $5.

Regards

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think most people tech-savvy enough to own multiple ebook formats know enough to use the various book reading software packages already out there.

Only if a read read multiple DRM formats would it be really helpful, and you cannot get licensing to do that, from what I've read.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I think most people tech-savvy enough to own multiple ebook formats know enough to use the various book reading software packages already out there.
I know how to do yard work, detail a car, cook food, etc. That doesn't mean I won't pay for the convenience of someone else doing it for me.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #22
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott161 View Post
I am currently in the process of developing an application for the iPad and the Android. This application will read the following formats (IMP, LRF, EPUB, etc...)
What the world needs is retailer-independent support for those formats on the BlackBerry.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #23
mscott161
Enthusiast
mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ebookwise, sony
I do not see a reason why an IMP or LRF Reader cannot be ported to the Blackberry.
mscott161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, droid, ebook, ebook reader, ipad