Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
gandalfbp
gandalfbp began at the beginning.

RTF files and other problems :)

Hi all,

I have a short story about my challenge with the Sony Reader. First of all I must say, that I love the machine, and since I know now what to take care, we will live better together. I must also metion, that I plugged a 1 G SD card into the Reader, and I put all my stuff on the card.
So: I convert all my e-books to RTF, since I found this was the easiest method, what will make the best readeable files on the device. During my converts (what I did with MS Word 2003/2007, and now with WordPad) when 10-12 file is ready, I upload them in one shoot. I realised, that at some cases the Status just doesn't move on. It uploaded some file, but stopped in the middle. So I hit Cancel, and I checked the file.
It came out, that I can not upload RTF files with images in them .
Ok, never mind, I removed the pics, and try to upload again. Since I was not aware, that I had several files with pics, this Cancel story happened several time.
At the end the complete filesystem on the machine was corrupted. For books, what I already readed on the machine, and contained several hondred pages it showed, that they have only one page (!), and when I wanted to open it, it said: Invalid page. Nice.
I made a hardware reset, than several files come back, but not all. I removed the SD card, and plugged into my laptop, and I saw a nice cache.xml file, where some of my trasferred files were signed as corrupted (!).
What I can not understand is why the Connect Reader did not signaled, that something is wrong? And if I hit the Cancel, why f..cks it up the file system?

I hope Sony reads these threads, and learns what to debug in their software....

BTW: does anyone else have the same RTF+Pictures problem?

Regards:

Peter
gandalfbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalfbp
Hi all,

It came out, that I can not upload RTF files with images in them .
Hi Peter,

I've had no problems transferring RTF files with pictures in them. As you know, Reader doesn't currently display the pictures in RTF files, but the files have transferred and displayed (minus the pictures) with no problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Hi Peter,

I've had no problems transferring RTF files with pictures in them. As you know, Reader doesn't currently display the pictures in RTF files, but the files have transferred and displayed (minus the pictures) with no problems.
I had one file that I couldn't transfer, but then all other files have been fine so far. Haven't figure out yet what the problem was with that one file, but I know that it was much larger than the others I've tried (29MB -- lots of pictures, vs. about 4MB for the largest other file that has worked).

Perhaps there is some sort of size limit on .rtf files that we don't know about (akin to the odd, won't display past page 1000 of a .pdf problem).

Sadly, the above two issues came up for me in the same book; 29MB .rtf file that was "corrupt", but displayed in CONNECT, then had to split the .pdf into two 800-page chunks.
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote