Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Help Sony E Library not opening

Hi

Got my Sony Touch today and followed the quick start guide which asked whether i wanted to install e libray. i followed the instructions and there is an icon on my desktop but when i try to open it doesnt do anything. I also tried to see if i coulf transfer a book from calibre to the Ereader but calibre couldnt detect any device.
Has anyone got any ideas what i can do and can they keep it simple ...like me

Apolgies if this is in the wrong forum

Thanks
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

and have managed to transfer books that way but arent you supposed to register the ereader via the e library?
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Which version of the library software are you using? I and others have had ongoing difficulties using V3 and 3.?; although there are others who've loaded 3 & it works fine. What I've done is loaded V2.5 and I find that it works fine. I did see a post here from someone who has V2.5 available online here.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Kiwimick
Addict

I was just using the one that was built into the reader. I rang Sony today and they told me to download some update from their support website. I will try that and if that doesnt work i will search for the 2.5 version
Thanks for your help
Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
What is your OS?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Kiwimick
Addict

Hi there Windows XP
Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
Hi there Windows XP
Have you put "Ebook Library" in your DEP exceptions?

This has solved some problems for other users.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
Kiwimick
Addict

No i havent but if i was to do this would i then need to uninstall what i have and reinstall or just do the DEP exceptions. Sorry im not very computer literate
Old 11-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No i havent but if i was to do this would i then need to uninstall what i have and reinstall or just do the DEP exceptions. Sorry im not very computer literate
No need to uninstall, you can just add the DEP exception. (I'm not but you might have to reboot before it takes effect, I can't remember)

You might also want to check that any firewalls are blocking the eBook Library.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Kiwimick
Addict

ok i will try all this when i get home in a couple of hours . thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
Kiwimick
Addict

Ok I have done the DEP Exception and I have uninstalled everything and reloaded it via the Ereader, It went through all the business and said it has been successfully installed and when it came to saying do you want to launch ebook library i clicked ok and nothing... The File path of the icon for the ebook library is showing as C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data/bin does that look right? I havent been able to find the link for version 2.5 if im going to need that so any help would be welcome
Old 11-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
kenmark
Addict

Quote:
Ok I have done the DEP Exception and I have uninstalled everything and reloaded it via the Ereader, It went through all the business and said it has been successfully installed and when it came to saying do you want to launch ebook library i clicked ok and nothing... The File path of the icon for the ebook library is showing as C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data/bin does that look right? I havent been able to find the link for version 2.5 if im going to need that so any help would be welcome
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Ebook Library.exe is the executable which should launch it. It may try to go out and check to see if there are any new updates before launching. I don't know how to help you further.

Here is download for installation of eBook Library 2.5.00.09170

You should probably delete current version first.

http://download.sony.com/prs/ebookli...0Installer.exe
Old 11-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
Kiwimick
Addict

many thanks Kenmark that worked for me although when it was installed it asked me if i wanted to update to latest version so thinking that it might work now that the library was open i clicked yes and needless to say it failed so at least i have the library open now.
As there is a certain lack of info in the manual I take it to be able to download a book from a uk site i need to get ADE first but do i have to register my ereader with sony first?? and is it via their website or can it be done via the library
Old 11-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
kenmark
Addict

Quote:
...when it was installed it asked me if i wanted to update to latest version so thinking that it might work now that the library was open i clicked yes and needless to say it failed so at least i have the library open now.
Was there any kind of error message on the installation of v3?
BTW you'll be asked if you want to update every time you open eBook Library unless you edit your preferences to say no.
Quote:
As there is a certain lack of info in the manual I take it to be able to download a book from a uk site i need to get ADE first but do i have to register my ereader with sony first?? and is it via their website or can it be done via the library
Because you are using V2.5 you have to install ADE if you intend using any encrypted ePub or pdf ebooks (ie. downloading and reading library books). When you start it up it should ask you to create, if you haven't, an Adobe account and then register your computer. After attaching the PRS-600 via USB cable, ADE should recognize a new device and ask you to register it to the Adobe account. (It's been a while since I've done this so the steps my be slightly different).

You don' need ADE to buy from the Sony eBook Store. It uses it's own encryption system. You do however, have to register your computer and reader with Sony. After you start the eBook Library, and attach your PRS-600, does it show up in the eBook Library display? It should detect the device and ask you to register it. You can also register it from the eBook Store somewhere under "your account" and "manage devices".

Any other members correct me if any of these steps and information is incorrect. It's been a while since I've installed ADE.

I really hope that ADE and the eBook Library recognize your PRS-600 and that you can transfer books using their software to you reader. :fingers crossed:

Last edited by kenmark; 11-07-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
Kiwimick
Addict

Cheers Kenmark you have been a big help. When i connect the PRS600 it does recognise it and i have transferred music and some books i had in my files ok but it didnt ask me to register it at all and there is only an ebook store button which if i go to is only for US and Canadians so im not sure where to register. As for ADE there is a download button on one of our UK booksellers which i will use but at the moment it keeps freezing so have been unable to do. But at least i have got some books to read and think the touch is fantastic. thanks again for your help

Mike