Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
fulsome
fulsome began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ 4700
Simonsays books 40% off

I didn't see this posted anywhere and just noticed it myself the other day. All the Simon Says ebooks appear to be 40% off. I bought six today and am contemplating the Irene Kelly series.

Ebook home
fulsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsome
I didn't see this posted anywhere and just noticed it myself the other day. All the Simon Says ebooks appear to be 40% off. I bought six today and am contemplating the Irene Kelly series.
They only support DRMed formats. Even at 40% off, the prices are exorbitantly high for DRMed eBooks.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

DRM and value

When you buy a car (or anything physical, for that matter), part of the value you get is the residual value of the car when you are done with it - i.e. you can sell it to someone else who can use it.

How much would you pay Ford for a new car if they told you that you couldn't sell it to someone else when you were done with it? That only you could use the car - you couldn't give it to your teenager, or your brother - and when you were done with it, all you could do was take it to the scrap yard - where you couldn't even get the scrap metal price for your car.

You wouldn't pay much, would you? You'd pay what I call the "throw away" price for the car. The price that you feel OK throwing away if, after a few days (or years - depending on your research), you find that you no longer want the car.

So why do DRMed eBook companies think that people will pay almost paper prices for DRMed eBooks? (Come to think of it, why are many people foolish enough to pay money for an eBook that they probably won't be able to read next year?)
Old 02-02-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
xdalaw
xdalaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, K1, K2, K3 wifi keyboard, EVO 4G
I don't know. I think the prices are pretty low for commercial books that I can't find for free. And, with the ability to strip out the DRM for MSLit books and fair use, I'm not worried that I won't have them to read next year.

I'm enjoying "1776" by David McCullough right now.

If you like their authors/books, and you can't find them free, why not save some money over paperbacks and actually enjoy the activity of reading if you like?
xdalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdalaw
I don't know. I think the prices are pretty low for commercial books that I can't find for free.
Well, let's pick a book from Simonsays: Cell by Stephen King. Normally priced at $15, on sale for $9.

Looking up the same book at Amazon.com, it's $17.80 - granted hard cover. Let's estimate half for softcover - $8.90.

So the price of Simonsays for an eBook is the same as the price for a paper book. The price of a non-transferrable, non-portable item is the same price as a transferrable, portable item.

This does not make sence no matter how you cut it.

Quote:
And, with the ability to strip out the DRM for MSLit books and fair use, I'm not worried that I won't have them to read next year.
But the tool that strips out the DRM is not legal under the DMCA and most people won't have access to it.

After I read a book, I make a decision: keep or not. Keep books I usually don't get around to re-reading for a couple years. Not keepers get food-chained or sold. DRM potentially blocks me from doing both for eBooks.

Quote:
If you like their authors/books, and you can't find them free, why not save some money over paperbacks and actually enjoy the activity of reading if you like?
I think you missed the point.

Selling eBooks for the same price as a paper book is inexcusable - for the simple reason that the cost of the eBook is far less than the cost of a paper book.

Selling eBooks that have DRM for same price as a paper book even worse - since the book is now only disposable (you can't food-chain it, you can't sell it, you can only throw it away if you don't want it anymore).

Simonsays is simply a clueless company. They are selling $1 items for $9. Well, that's not really clueless, but anyone who would pay $9 for a $1 item gets what they deserve.
Advert
Old 02-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
xdalaw
xdalaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, K1, K2, K3 wifi keyboard, EVO 4G
I understand your point, and I agree that selling an ebook for the same price as a paperback is a bit obnoxious. But, if there are not alternatives, and if you really want the convenience of ebook reading for a popular title, than I'm willing to pay for it. I'd probably be less inclined without ConvertLit, though.
xdalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
Well, let's pick a book from Simonsays: Cell by Stephen King. Normally priced at $15, on sale for $9.

Looking up the same book at Amazon.com, it's $17.80 - granted hard cover. Let's estimate half for softcover - $8.90.

So the price of Simonsays for an eBook is the same as the price for a paper book. The price of a non-transferrable, non-portable item is the same price as a transferrable, portable item.

This does not make sence no matter how you cut it.
You are comparing the ebook of the hardcover to an uinreleased paperback. The question will be how much is the ebook going to cost once the paperback is out. That's the real issue. $17.80 for the hardcover and $8.90 for the ebook. That seems fair to me. And you get the ebook now and can read it when you want. Now that the paperback is out at $9.99 retail, the $8.90 price is too high. With the discounts you can sometimes get via being a preferred reader or email coupons, you can get the paperback for less then the cost of the ebook. So now that the paperback is out, forget the ebook. It was a decent price when only the hardcover was available.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote