Notices

Old 07-02-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
BruceNapier
Silver Surfer
BruceNapier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question EPUB output freezes PRS-505

Hi

Some of the ePub output from calibre freezes my Sony - it's fine until I go to read the book, then it locks up solid. Soft reset doesn't work, USB connection won't happen.

Doesn't happen with every book, doesn't seem to matter whether it's a long book or a short story. Eventually the Reader switches off and restarts on its own.

Obviously I could just go back to using LRF output, but that's frustrating!

I'm using calbre v 0.5.14 on an iBook G4 under Mac OS 10.4.11.

Any ideas?

TIA

Bruce

Last edited by BruceNapier; 07-02-2009 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Typos
BruceNapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Does the same book do it a multiple times if you page through it again? If it doesn't then it almost sounds like a hardware issue... If you have a book that does it reliably post it so it can be examined.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Ftee
Ftee began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I have the same problem, when i'm converting pdfs. My solution is to convert them with the mobipocketreader in prc format (simple export them to an USB-Stick), and then i convert and send them with calibre to my prs505.
Works perfect for me, also with small and really large pdfs with more than 1500 pages.

**edit**
@Idolse: No, its not a hardware problem, it is a problem with the xml-output generated at conversion from pdf. Conversion from prc works fine.
Ftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
BruceNapier
Silver Surfer

It did it three times on the trot this morning, with the same book. It's happened before with ePub conversions. In all otther respects the reader behaves itself, and has done so since I got it last October.

I'll attach it to this post.

thanks

Bruce
Attached Files
File Type: epub With the Night Mail - Rudyard Kipling.epub (53.3 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've had the same problem with many LIT files I converted to ePUB using Calibre. The books would periodically brick up the Sony, and sometimes the Sony would spontaneously reboot as I was paging through the books.

I gave up on using Calibre after the third book failed. Life's too short and there are other tools.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've been using Calibre 0.5.14 and converting to ePub and I've not had a single issue. I am using Windows XP Pro if that helps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
hmmm... do you always have this problem with Gutenberg texts or a variety of sources? The file looks well formed. The only difference I'm seeing from other files I usually work with are an abundance of <href> tags to external sources, and the <pre></pre> section at the beginning of the doc. Beyond that, when I look at the doc in ADE I see a number of types of formatting being displayed that could potentially be exposing a bug in the ADE engine on the PRS 500. In particular the end of this document seems to have a a lot of tables.

Not sure of how adept at html you are, next step would be to simplify the output by removing some of the more complex formatting.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
BruceNapier
Silver Surfer

Most of my stuff comes from one or other of the Gutenberg sites, and most of it gives no trouble at all. I don't know what ADE is - I've some experience of basic HTML, enough to keep a simple website up and running, but I've never got into much beyond the 101 course.

One other point that I just remembered after getting the Reader running again - after disconnecting from the Mac (after ejecting it as a remote drive) when the display came back from the USB –> screen, it showed all the books as dated that day, rather than the wide range I usually see, and do again now that it's recovered. I've no idea what that implies, but I guess some TOC file was corrupted?

Tags
prs-505 epub