Notices

View Poll Results: Will you pre-order a Kindle DX
Yes. 51 32.28%
No. 107 67.72%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #31
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Thank you all for answering my question about auto rotation of the screen. I have read the manual in the meanwhile so I have discovered the answer on my own. When I came here to post it, I saw that quite a few people were faster.

I have got another question:
How am I going to navigate 3500 documents without folder structure and with 16 documents per page?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #32
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
yes, i consider the lack of folders when loading many PDFs as a major problem. u could try to navigate the 3500 books and 20000 PDFs using the search feature.

Last edited by markbot; 05-06-2009 at 05:13 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #33
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
You could just use the global search and it will search the metadata of all the PDFs on the device. That should suffice to find a particular PDF, IMHO.
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #34
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLinguist View Post
You could just use the global search and it will search the metadata of all the PDFs on the device. That should suffice to find a particular PDF, IMHO.
It's still clunky. Especially for a research who may have thousands of PDFs, and has the organized on their PC and file cabinets in folders by topic etc.

But it's currently moot for me, as I've said many times, I'm pretty wedded to paper printouts myself as they're just so easy to mark up, flip through to find the results table or whatever I need to look at, etc. vs. having PDFs on the PC or a reader.

If I did ever change my tune, it would have to be some kind of multifunction tablet device with an 8.5 x 11 screen, and a stylus writing function that worked very well (for someone with terrible hand writing like myself) so I can highlight stuff and write notes in the margins just as quickly and legibly as I can on an 8.5 x 11 PDF print out. As well as have everything organized in folders, be able to surf the web, maybe have statistical analysis programs on it etc. etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #35
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I can't believe that they didn't address folders!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #36
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
No, it's missing the key feature of being able to fit in my purse. I'm perfectly happy with my K2 and probably won't buy another Kindle until I can get folders/tags, color, a lower price, and it been at least 2 years (so my wallet is a little bit fuller).
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #37
Old Man
Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
I answered no since I just received my K2 in March. I am completely satisfied with my purchase of the K2, but I wish Amazon would have released the DX with the K2 so I could have had a choice.

I think the DX is a little too large for my recreational reading, but I still wasn't given the opportunity to compare. Amazon might have made an extra $160 from me for the DX and cover.
Have to agree with you NavyDad6. I am perfectly happy with my K2 and don't think I want a larger device. Although the screen rotation does have me thinking
Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #38
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I have ordered one but may cancel once the information on subsidized units is available, aka Newspaper subscription.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #39
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
No. I have a Kindle 1 and I am happy with that for recreational reading. I read lots of pdfs for work on my laptop. Losing the ability to see color, annotate directly and highlight in color would be a major drawback - at least in fields like mine with lots of graphics. As others have mentioned, sorting needs to be improved if the Kindle DX is going to be used by professionals. The ability to zoom in on small figures and make the text larger would also be important. Does anyone know if that will be possible with pdfs on the DX? I am guessing no, but I could be wrong.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #40
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I'm going to skip on this one but I see the potential. Hopefully gf doesn't.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #41
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Too much.

Too DRM'd.

Too uncolored.

Too... uh... non-ePub'd.

No sale.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #42
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
My biggest question is whether the Kindle DX is going to be easy for someone to use who only has the use of the left hand. Both of the predecessor devices have Next Page buttons on the left as well as the right side of the case. I'm loading the User's Guide over this very slow network connection to see if the autorotate function is only portrait to landscape or if one could turn the Kindle 180 degrees so that the page-turning buttons are on the left.
I actually just came in to edit my post to add this point since it didn't hit my conscious mind until now even though I'd noticed the missing buttons earlier today when I looked at photos. I don't think turning it to be upside down is a viable answer. It upsets the ergonomics, puts the keyboard out of reach, and really shouldn't be necessary when both of its predecessors just put the buttons on both sides. Plus, sometimes I just want to reach over and sip a drink and hold it in my right hand just for a few seconds, and click the "next" button once while doing that, and then move it back after the drink is sipped. You can't do that easily if you have to rotate the whole thing.

Come on, Amazon. Fix this before you ship the thing.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #43
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Even when I'm on the treadmill, I like to switch the hand I'm holding my Kindle 2 in every 10-15 minutes or so. Flipping a Kindle DX over instead doesn't seem like a comfortable option, plus it's heavier. I think they expect most people to read the Kindle DX on a flat surface like a desk.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #44
Thornkin
Thornkin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
From some of the videos I picked up that the device will rotate 180' so left handed users can just turn it over and use the buttons on the correct side. Of course, the keyboard wouldn't work (well) there, but while reading that shouldn't matter.
Thornkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #45
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
But the next/prev page buttons will also be upside down. And now you have the Home button down against the palm of your hand which might be a problem.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote