Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #31
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
New books in Amber universe by Roger Zelazny, written by John Betancourt can be absolutely terrible to read with expectations after reading Zelazny's work.

Also, Poul Anderson and Robert Jordan's work in Conan universe (among other writers) is incomparable with the writing of Robert E Howard, and, strangely, also much worse (for me) than their books in their own universes.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #32
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
New books in Amber universe by Roger Zelazny, written by John Betancourt can be absolutely terrible to read with expectations after reading Zelazny's work.

Also, Poul Anderson and Robert Jordan's work in Conan universe (among other writers) is incomparable with the writing of Robert E Howard, and, strangely, also much worse (for me) than their books in their own universes.
I loved the Amber series and just re-read the first two a few months back. I had no idea that it was being "continued."
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #33
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I loved the Amber series and just re-read the first two a few months back. I had no idea that it was being "continued."
There was a prequel, called Dawn of Amber, about time before Amber was created. However, read this review and consider if you want to try it: http://www.sfsite.com/09a/am135.htm
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #34
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My fear...

I don't have any doubts about Mr. Colfer's ability to pull this off. However, based on his selection, I'm afraid it means that Terry Pratchett is much further along in his illness than anyone is saying (unless I missed a retirement announcement somewhere).
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I don't have any doubts about Mr. Colfer's ability to pull this off. However, based on his selection, I'm afraid it means that Terry Pratchett is much further along in his illness than anyone is saying (unless I missed a retirement announcement somewhere).
Although I would agree that Pratchett may come closest to Adams in pure insane genius, perhaps he just feels he has enough on his plate already.

I'd have thought Neil Gaiman might be a possibility. Or perhaps John Lloyd, who co-wrote the fifth and sixth episodes of the radio series, and worked with Adams on other projects. Maybe he's too busy with TV stuff these days.

I haven't read any of the Artemis Fowl books, because although I do read a lot of "young adult" books, I've been quite skeptical of anything really "popular." And often "funny" books just seem trite or stupid to me. But I was wrong about whether I'd like Rowling's books, and I was wrong about whether I'd like Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy. So perhaps I ought to try these, as well.

Can someone who's picky about writing quality, and has read them, tell me what they thought? It would be nice if someone could compare the writing style and quality to Jonathan Stroud, Garth Nix, Terry Pratchett, etc.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #36
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post

Although I adore and prefer Pratchett's writing, I don't see how he would be able to write a real HHG book - in Adam's style. Adam's humour was very cynical, Pratchett's clearly isn't.
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Even had Mr. Pratchett been in perfect health, I'm not sure that he would have been the right man for the job.

Let's face it - Penguin have commissioned this book to make a profit, not for the sake of "charity", and I strongly suspect that Mr. Pratchett would have wanted so much money to do it that it wouldn't have been economically viable. I'm sure that Mr. Colfer is a lot cheaper . Would Mr. Pratchett have even wanted the job? He has his hands full writing his own books, I'd have thought.

Neko - I've read the first three books in the "Artemis Fowl" series (there are 6 so far in total) and very much enjoyed them. They are very well-written, and cleverly plotted. I'm not sure that Mr. Colfer's writing style can be directly compared to anyone else - he's very much his own man, and the books aren't a "copy" of anyone else's.

Mr. Colfer is, IMHO, a very good writer. I'm going to wait and see what the new book is like before passing judgment. Some here appear to have already "pre-judged" the issue .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #38
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I think the point they are making is that however much Colfer tries to write it in Adam's style they will never be quite the same. The Dune books by Frank Herbert are different in style to the ones by his son and Kevin J Anderson. Some of which IMO are barely readable.

The Middle Earth books "finished" by Chris Tolkein are different to those written by his father.

And IMO it does show a lack of respect to the original author. Unless the author themselves approved / selected the person/people to continue their vision (For example Anne McCaffrey naming Todd as her literary heir for the Dragons of Pern series).

Theives world is another thing entirely as it was always a collaborative effort.

As to Eoin Colfer's interpretation of HHG. I wish him good luck, and I will buy and read it. I just hope he lives to that which has gone before.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #39
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I dont get why you feel like that? Lots of series have had multiple authors and been great.
This isn't a series with multiple authors. This is a series that was finished when its author died and now another author was tapped to write a new novel to be marketed as a new novel in the series merely to turn a profit. It's not unreasonable to assume that Pratchett was asked to take the helm, nor is it unreasonable to think that he turned the project down on ethical grounds. Am I really one of the few who is upset by this? Douglas Adams is one of my favorite authors and I wish to god that people would just leave his work alone. The movie was bad and completely worthless to anyone who has never read the books. Before that, Salmon of Doubt was put out, which was great for compiling a ton of articles and short works by Adams I hadn't read before. However, publishing his unfinished Dirk Gently novel was extremely disappointing because it was not up to par and Adams knew it. He hadn't published a new novel in years for a reason. Why can't people just respect that and let it be?

I was starting to feel a little insane when I hopped over to Neil Gaiman's blog, sure that he would have said something on the subject. He had this to say:

Quote:
In regard to the above, did they ask you to do it, and would you have accepted if they had?

Nobody asked me to do it, but then, when Douglas asked me if I'd like to adapt Life, The Universe and Everything for radio I said no, and that was with Douglas alive and asking. (Dirk Maggs did it, and did an excellent job.) It seemed a thankless task.

I like Eoin very much, and wish him well with the book. He'll probably write a sixth Hitchhiker's book with more enthusiasm, and certainly faster, than Douglas would have done. But it won't be a Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's book.

For the record, if I don't get around to writing a sequel to something while I'm alive, I'd very much rather that nobody else does it once I'm dead. It should exist in your head or in Lucien's library, or in fanfic. But that's me, and not every author feels the same way.
I feel a little vindicated knowing a published author who was friends with Adams feels a similar way as I do. People, publishers, and widows should just let sleeping dogs lie.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #40
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
People, publishers, and widows should just let sleeping dogs lie.
Exactly. I wish I could find a cite for the Rex Stout quote regarding the Nero Wolfe series continuing after his death. He loathed the idea and said so, and the publishers did it anyway. What disrespect.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #41
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mr. Colfer is, IMHO, a very good writer. I'm going to wait and see what the new book is like before passing judgment. Some here appear to have already "pre-judged" the issue .
Like the other HarryT, who opined "He is the ideal choice." in an earlier message.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #42
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
@SpiderMatt: I agree.

Quote:
Yes, some have.
Why? Because Douglas Adams was one of a kind. I honestly dont think that *anybody* could write a real sequel to a Doug Adams book. Not because every other author is "worse" or "not as talented" or whatever - but because no other author is Douglas Adams.
As I wrote - I like Mr. Colfers books. But the Hitchhiker is not his genre and certainly not his style - and, as I said, he is not Mr. Adams. Perhaps he could write a nice sixth hitchhiker - but it wont be a "Adams Hitchhiker".

Nobody could write a new LOTR, nobody could write a new hitchhiker.
I will read the book (prejudiced as I may be) - and if I am wrong I will gladly apologize to Mr Colfer. But I really dont guess so.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #43
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Neko - I've read the first three books in the "Artemis Fowl" series (there are 6 so far in total) and very much enjoyed them. They are very well-written, and cleverly plotted. I'm not sure that Mr. Colfer's writing style can be directly compared to anyone else - he's very much his own man, and the books aren't a "copy" of anyone else's.
Thanks, HarryT. I'm indifferent to the idea of anyone else trying to write a new "Hitchhiker" book, but I've been looking at the Artemis Fowl books for a while, wondering if I'd like them. I expect my local library has them, so perhaps I'll try borrowing the first one to see if it agrees with me. Your recommendation helps-- I don't expect or want one author to be "just like" another, but you seem to like some of the same authors I do, for some of the same reasons, so your recommendation is valuable to me.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #44
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
I'm currently working my way through the Artemis Fowl books and thoroughly enjoying them. A bit SF a bit fantasy, and a whole lot of fun AND very well written. I'm open to a new HHG book by Colfer. If for nothing more than satisfying curiosity.
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #45
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
In addition to the series Zelda mentioned, I'd add the Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout and the Dune continuations by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

I haven't read it yet, but I'm looking askance at Variable Star, by Spider Robinson and "Robert A. Heinlein," actually written by Robinson, based on a partial draft by Heinlein. I admit I'll be starting it with a certain amount of bias.
I read Variable Star and really liked it. I haven't read a lot of Heinlein yet, but you can definitely tell the difference in writing style.

Also, I did really enjoy the Dune prequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. So while I am somewhat disappointed that it isn't Douglas Adams, it may still turn out to be a good book. However, I do demand good humor on the scale of the rest of the series. And let's face it, HHG doesn't have a consistent canon in the way that Star Wars or LOTR does.

Last edited by CleverClothe; 09-23-2008 at 02:53 AM.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote