Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
DaveinJapan
Enthusiast
DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.

Device: iPhone
Question Which author had a big impact when you were young?

Hey all. I was thinking about some authors who've impacted me lately, and Michael Crighton came out near the top of my list.

I remembered my first experience with his style, in Freshman H.S. biology class of all places. The teacher assigned "The Andromeda Strain", giving us like a month or so to read it, and I put it off as I usually did with homework of any kind. But then, the very last weekend before the test, I laid down on the couch and started in on it - and I was hooked! I read the whole thing that weekend, enjoying every minute of it.

It turned out that I was the only kid in the class who could stomach reading it (even the smart kids had given up!), and everyone failed but me. I was NOT the brightest kid in that particular field to say the least, but I earned my one and only "A" that day.

And I've been a big M.C. fan ever since. Anyone have any stories, or thoughts on authors who impacted you in a similar way?
DaveinJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The first was Edgar Rice Burroughs - Pellucidar.

Asimov, Clarke, Niven(a bit later)

Silverberg, Simak ...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Jules Verne that a lot of you will know
and
many more that none of you have ever heard of. (due to the fact they are not translated into english/german/french or spanish)
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Bernard Cornwell for me. He was the first "adult author" I read, when I was thirteen. My Mum got me the first three books, Sharpe's Tiger, Sharpe's Triumph and Sharpe's Fortress from the library. I was absolutely bowled over by it. The way he describes the battles and daily life of the soldiers, added to his descriptive prose concerning the surroundings left me feeling as though I had been through the proverbial wringer. I know he may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was just an incredible eye opener.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Since I was young yesterday, I would have to say William Faulkner.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Although I never read the full text, only an abridged version for younger readers, A Tale of Two Cities made a huge impression on me as a story.

In high school there were a few authors that had quite a big impact. Albert Camus, Dostoyevsky, John Knowles (A Separate Peace), William Golding, Harper Lee. I really enjoyed most of the books we covered in high school.

In my own personal reading, Tolkien made an impression on me that diluted after high school when I read authors such as Feist and Donaldson. But I absolutely loved Susan Cooper for her Dark is Rising series. I loved the Narnia books as well, but not quite as much. Another author I can think of is Ursula Le Guin. I particularly liked The Tombs of Atuan from Earthsea and Left Hand of Darkness.

Anyway - I think that covers the school years. There might be some that I've missed. I didn't encounter some of my favourite authors until later.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Since I was young yesterday, I would have to say William Faulkner.

Don
I would have listed him as well as Steinbeck but I did not read them when I was 'young' .... also John Irving....E.L. Doctorow...
Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I would have listed him as well as Steinbeck but I did not read them when I was 'young' .... also John Irving....E.L. Doctorow...

I actually read him when I was a bit older, when I was in my young teens.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
kennyc

and anyway, per the Jefferson Airplane, 'you're only pretty as you feel' -- applies to age as well.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Albert Camus (in translation), Robert Frost, W.B. Yeats, W.H.Auden, Jules Verne (in translation) and Robert Heinlein, Barbara Tuchman, George Orwell (his reviews and essays), C.S.Forester, Mark Twain
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Which author had a big impact when you were young?

In 3rd grade there was Carolyn Keene (the name attributed by the publisher to the author of the Nancy Drew series, who were actually a group of uncredited ghost writers who wrote them under contract).

Toward the end of 4th grade it was Robert A. Heinlein.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The first series I remember being hooked on was Lucy Maude Montgomery, The Story Girl. I had read her other books by he time I was 7 and they were okay, but the Story Girl enthralled me. Next it was the Sacketts, by Louis L'amour. Go figure.

Another book/series I remember fondly from childhood is The Mouse That Roared, by Leonard Wibberley.

About 12 I discovered SF and it was Heinlein, Delaney, Asimov, Lieber etc. for many a year, interspersed with Taylor Caudwell, Leon Uris, and a fair chunk of Shakespeare.

The book that made me think the most is quite possibly Lord of the Flies. I didn't actually find it a fun read, but it still comes to mind on occasion.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
In 3rd grade there was Carolyn Keene

Why do you have Matrix (マトリックス) written in Japanese on your avatar? I thought it was Dresden themed?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Why do you have Matrix (マトリックス) written in Japanese on your avatar? I thought it was Dresden themed?

I don't have anything written on my avatar. It's just two pieces of a larger graphic from the web:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6pu8U.png
Views:	1536
Size:	743.0 KB
ID:	113679

I moved the staff closer to Dresden so it would fit in the avatar size specifications. I added nothing to the original.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Geralt
Witcher

Well sorry it's off topic. But that doesn't change the fact that Dresden has Matrix written on his staff in Japanese. Weird.

Tags
andromeda strain, authors, crighton, influential, writers