Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
mrHedgehog
Member Retired
mrHedgehog began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 32GB Wi-Fi
Lightbulb Use Chromebook Recovery Utility to restore Kindle?

I was thinking that I could use the chromebook recovery utility to restore my kindle, because it allows me to use a local .bin file and a USB mass storage device to create a recovery for just about anything. Can this be done safely with a kindle?

Please see attachment for what i mean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 09.26.56.png
Views:	149
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	177438  
mrHedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
*Insert Tennant's 10th Doctor "What?!" clip here*

TL;DR: No.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
mrHedgehog
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
*Insert Tennant's 10th Doctor "What?!" clip here*

TL;DR: No.
Why? Is it a feature of how the kindles work, or the Utility, or what? Could you eleborate, please?
Old 02-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Because there's not even a little bit of overlap between the two (or three) things?

i.e., this is not what the chrome utility does, and this is not how Kindles work, and this is not what .bin means.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrHedgehog View Post
Why? Is it a feature of how the kindles work, or the Utility, or what? Could you eleborate, please?
Take a step past the "backup" step.
If your Kindle is trash, how are you going to restore it?
It is not like being able to run Chrome to restore the backup image you created.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
mrHedgehog
Member Retired

On this topic, is there any way to flash older firmware? Or do i just have to try my luck with the jailbreak, can I not jailbreak at all, can I just do a serial JB or do i need an older kindle to jailbreak?

PW4 with 5.12.3 BTW
Old 03-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
You can jailbreak your device and install firmware 5.10.1.3 or higher.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
mrHedgehog
Member Retired

Could you direct me to a thread with instructions for JBing non-factory firmware, or is it the serial JB?
Old 03-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You should PM ilovejedd.

There is no serial JB for the PW4 yet, and there might never be one.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
mrHedgehog
Member Retired

Alright. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrHedgehog View Post
Could you direct me to a thread with instructions for JBing non-factory firmware, or is it the serial JB?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=782
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
mrHedgehog
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I got all the details and PMed them to you.