Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
In addition the AVI my not have the same internal format that other AVI's have. AVI is a container that can have different formats inside. See our wiki for AVI for more details. It can have MPEG4, ASP, XVID, DIVX codecs.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
In addition the AVI my not have the same internal format that other AVI's have. AVI is a container that can have different formats inside. See our wiki for AVI for more details. It can have MPEG4, ASP, XVID, DIVX codecs.
Good point. And same for MKV; That's just a container also
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 05:09 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
I take your point about containers etc but why don't the programs concerned even show in the "Open In" selection?

Is it because the Wi-Drive App isn't doing something right or are the programs concerned not telling the Wi-Drive App they are available for selection or what?

Yes, I can convert them but I am trying to avoid doing so if possible. Even the fastest convertor takes a considerable time to convert even on an i7 Windows 7 64bit system.

Both of the Apps are supposed to play AVIs but neither is offered....

Any educated guesses?
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
I take your point about containers etc but why don't the programs concerned even show in the "Open In" selection?
"Open In" is a feature that the app developer has to specifically provide support for. Perhaps the developer of your app hasn't done so.

Why not ask the app developer for support? They're the ones in the best position to be able to help you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think I've noticed when browsing my network from my Fire with File Expert that files on network drives don't show those "Open with" options, but if I first copy the file locally to the device, then they do.

Could it be something similar for you?

Last edited by ApK; 07-15-2012 at 02:38 PM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #22
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'd never heard of wi-drive so I googled it and found it to be a Kingston product which bodes well. The application which allows sharing seems to look good but when you read the information you find that its extremely limited... eg; "Open in" only works with documents. The reviews also suggest that its not quite what its cracked up to be. So the drive... excellent stuff... but the app seems crap. No idea what an alternative would be

I use Plex server on my computer to stream video to the iPad or iPhone as I need it, but thats at home. If I want to go on a trip and watch a vid or two, I drop them into CineXplayer. To use a portable wireless drive would be great but without good applications, it seems a bit fraught. The reviewers generally thought so too, one of them even returned the drive as being unfit for use.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #23
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
What I would suggest is this:
Download a free/lite video application which supports streaming/downloading videos from a network drive. I think OPlayerHD Lite is an example.
Browse to the IP address of your WiDrive using either FTP or SAMBA, whichever it supports.
Try streaming a video, try downloading a video.
If those work, then you know that the setup is working fine, and it is likely that the limitation is in either the video players you have installed, or in the WiDrive application. If downloading works but streaming doesn't, or performance is poor, it suggests that the WiDrive can't provide a fast enough rate for useable streaming.

Edit: In order to Open In... an application, the file would have to be fully downloaded to the iPad and transferred to the working space of that application. You cannot Open In... a streaming location of a file. Perhaps that is why the WiDrive application only offers that option for small files. (If that is the case.)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Edit: In order to Open In... an application, the file would have to be fully downloaded to the iPad and transferred to the working space of that application. You cannot Open In... a streaming location of a file.
A very good point, and obvious now that you point it out!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #25
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A very good point, and obvious now that you point it out!
Yeah, that's the same behavior I observed in Android.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #26
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
What I would suggest is this:
Download a free/lite video application which supports streaming/downloading videos from a network drive. I think OPlayerHD Lite is an example.
Edit: In order to Open In... an application, the file would have to be fully downloaded to the iPad and transferred to the working space of that application. You cannot Open In... a streaming location of a file. Perhaps that is why the WiDrive application only offers that option for small files. (If that is the case.)

You are "spot on"

I downloaded the App you suggested and it was perfect

Still didn't do as I hoped but did as you suggested and I expected, "Open In" did offer the App for selection but didn't work but using the IP address of the Wi-Drive worked perfectly.

When I tapped on the AVI it asked me if I wanted to "Play It" or download it. I tried both. The movie I downloaded was in the App and could be replayed (as expected) "offline"....

The movie I "Played" played perfectly with no hesitations. They do claim that 3 different devices can stream from the Wi-Drive at the same time but I'm happy with one streaming perfectly.

And being able to copy movies to my iPad without iTunes is marvellous

I contacted the App writers (3) and got one stereotyped response.

I have uninstalled the other 2 media player Apps and will stick (for now?) with OplayerHD Lite

Now I have to try with my Seagate Goflex Satellite (yes a bit of a gadget freak I'm afraid)

to all my responders
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #27
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I have the Goflex

Its interesting device, I havent used it as much as I thought I would.

There are 2 ways to connect, URL offline webpage, and going to the wi-fi setting for the ipad and make sure its set up for auto connect.

Make sure you have the correct app,GoFlex media
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #28
louwin
Newbie Nerd

I don't have any problems connecting with the Goflex or the Wi-Drive, just accessing AVIs and MKVs etc.

I think the secret is turning the device on and leaving it to establish itself for a couple of minutes and THEN connecting.

Once connected I can't get it to play AVIs and MKVs even though associated Apps ARE loaded.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #29
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
The problem i don't think it's with the video format. The wi-drive is streaming files from its drive and sending the by wifi. It seems kind of silly to use an "open in" feature. The whole point is not to use space on your iPad. I keep mine full of extra music and movies and only use it when I go vacation.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #30
louwin
Newbie Nerd

See what I mean?

One person says it can't be done and three others say it can and have done it

I installed NetPortal Lite and got access to my "shares" on my desktop.

Exactly what I wanted.

The Lite version only does PDFs and image files

Hopefully this will put an end to the need to iTunes

Will have to try Filebrowser, wonder if there is a Lite version to try?

Then have to decide which to go with