Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #76
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
so i wonder if there's any reason to return this thing for another one....or just send it back and get something else.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #77
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm keeping mine for now. I think it's probably a firmware issue. I suspect that more people have the issue and just haven't seen it yet. I say that because I went one week with no issues. Then had 2 crashes on the weekend. I've been reading fine this week with no more issues. I wonder if it will crash again this weekend?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #78
dodgyr
dodgyr began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
I wonder if anyone who has not customised (changed the default font or put a PIN on, etc.) has had any issues?
With my second T1, I haven't customised anything and haven't experienced any issues yet (knock on wood!).
dodgyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #79
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Hey dodgyr,

would you post what soft ware version you have? It would be in the setting under about the reader where it shows how much internal memory you have left.

Thanks
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #80
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Called Sony...inept is probably too kind of a word..i spelled out all i had done to the person on the line (hard reset, reset, used sony and non sony books, fully charged, etc.) still getting force close and touch dying...he refused to put me through to get a different reader and i told him i just wanted to return it and get my money back...he finally said hang on a minute...got back on the line...Ok we want to try some troubleshooting steps.....???????? is he kidding me, i've done everything i can possibly do. He was really pushing the reader must be fully charged line...

I told him it was fully charged and i had left it charging for several hours and should i leave it connected to my computer while i read because it's insane that i have to have reader fully charged all the time just to read a book, that kinds of kills the whole walk around and read wherever niche. Finally just hung up on him. Sony customer service is worthless.

So basically when it was delayed from it's original ship date they wouldn't let me cancel it so i could buy it locally, and now that i have it and it doesn't work, they won't exchange or take it back.

Last edited by krighton; 10-14-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #81
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post
Hey dodgyr,

would you post what soft ware version you have? It would be in the setting under about the reader where it shows how much internal memory you have left.

Thanks
I started a thread with the firmware version I have. I haven't had any hangup or freezes at all. Maybe if everyone posted their firmware, if it is different, we could find a trend.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #82
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
Called Sony...inept is probably too kind of a word..i spelled out all i had done to the person on the line (hard reset, reset, used sony and non sony books, fully charged, etc.) still getting force close and touch dying...he refused to put me through to get a different reader and i told him i just wanted to return it and get my money back...he finally said hang on a minute...got back on the line...Ok we want to try some troubleshooting steps.....???????? is he kidding me, i've done everything i can possibly do. He was really pushing the reader must be fully charged line...

I told him it was fully charged and i had left it charging for several hours and should i leave it connected to my computer while i read because it's insane that i have to have reader fully charged all the time just to read a book, that kinds of kills the whole walk around and read wherever niche. Finally just hung up on him. Sony customer service is worthless.

So basically when it was delayed from it's original ship date they wouldn't let me cancel it so i could buy it locally, and now that i have it and it doesn't work, they won't exchange or take it back.
Krighton I can't imagine what your CS contact was thinking. I have had nothing but good support. On all 3 T1s. I've dealt with Sandy, Bob, Ingrid & Benjamin in support & Norbert in Customer Relations. ...Not that I know for sure that is their names. All I can say is try again. Maybe you'll get lucky & get one of the people I got.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #83
krighton
Addict

i'll try chat this time...

only took 5 CS reps to get them to graciously allow me to return my prs-t1 for a refund...this time i'll just get one locally so i can just walk in the store and return it. Never seen such a convoluted and confusing tech support/return system like Sony's. It really shouldn't be that hard.

Last edited by krighton; 10-14-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #84
dodgyr
dodgyr began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post
Hey dodgyr,

Thanks
version 1.0.00.09010
dodgyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #85
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
First crash on hubby's happened tonight. I'd been playing on it changing fonts in one of my own epubs and it went. I was flipping around kind of rapidly, so it might be more of a user thing.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #86
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
First crash on hubby's happened tonight. I'd been playing on it changing fonts in one of my own epubs and it went. I was flipping around kind of rapidly, so it might be more of a user thing.
I don't think it is a user thing Graycyn. But if it seldom happens then it probably won't be an issue for you. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #87
krighton
Addict

Sony would like to blame all the Readers problems on user errors...
Old 10-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #88
Pomtroll
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
Sony would like to blame all the Readers problems on user errors...
I find this true of a lot of companies, not just Sony. My husband & I are in the dental laboratory industry & whenever something is not working with a product, the companies first line is,"No one else has reported this problem." The next is let's go over the steps of what you are doing....blah blah blah." Never mind we have been doing this work for 40 years & do know what we are doing. Or the fact we have used said product for years & all of a sudden something is not working....

Amazon is one of the few companies that seem willing to exchange without arguments. At least that is what I have read.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #89
zippy
zippy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The touch screen stopped working on mine today (had it 4 days). I ran my finger around the sensors on the edge of the screen and it started working again.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #90
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I don't think it is a user thing Graycyn. But if it seldom happens then it probably won't be an issue for you. Good luck.
Probably not, but then again, I've frozen my 950 a couple times with similar use or had it simply restart. I wouldn't exactly call what I was doing as the way an average user would use the device. So far no problems for hubby with the T-1, and I suppose I should just keep my hands off his reader, LOL!

Now the 350 has arrived, I can hopefully torture it with my epub testing instead of either the T-1 or the 950.

Last edited by graycyn; 10-15-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added sentence
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote