Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
toastayy
Nameless Being

Nook HD Apps constantly updating

I bought my Nook HD a couple months ago and have loved it since, especially the inclusion of the Google Play Store (only reason I bought it.) Unfortunately one major annoyance I have is the Nook apps constantly updating/redownloading.

Take for instance the Evernote for Nook App, Spotify and Twitter. Everytime there is an update available for these apps they would try to update via the google play store..when this happens I get a notification stating that I have the "Nook Version" installed and if I want to uninstall that version and replace it with the google play version. I click yes, but then the next time it updates I get the same message!

I don't use Twitter or Spotify so i've tried uninstalling these apps but the keep coming back and keep asking me to remove the nook version and replace it with the google play version almost everyday!

Anyone have any solutions to this? Am i the only one experiencing these annoyances?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes we have the same thing happening, and no, I don't know how to stop it! Although, now that I think of it, I haven't noticed it lately. But I always click no.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
toastayy
Nameless Being

Ahh that sucks. Well you know...misery loves company
Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
It's weird though....I had my HD on this morning and didn't get any messages. But I may have gone into settings and deleted the BN apps that were causing the messages. I'll have to check my girls' Nooks later.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastayy View Post
Take for instance the Evernote for Nook App, Spotify and Twitter. Everytime there is an update available for these apps they would try to update via the google play store..when this happens I get a notification stating that I have the "Nook Version" installed and if I want to uninstall that version and replace it with the google play version. I click yes, but then the next time it updates I get the same message!
Evernote for Nook? As far as I can remember, my HD never had that app. I have Evernote but it is the Google Play version, and I never get asked about it before updating.

I did have the Nook versions for Spotify and Twitter, though. However, once updated with the Google Play version, I either don't get asked about overwriting the Nook version that often, or I just don't even notice it. It's not a big thing for me.

Also, I noticed that with the new firmware put out in August, they install fewer Nook apps by default. You won't notice it if you just update over your old firmware, as your old Nook apps will be kept. But if you reset your device, you will notice it. You may want to try that.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
toastayy
Nameless Being

I made sure to check to make sure my allegations where correct and sure enough they were. I don't connect to WiFi often but when I do I do get the Evernote for nook download notification as well as spotify and twitter....the last two I don't even use. Funny thing about the Evernote situation is that the Evernote icon does not have the usual n symbol next to it to indicate that it was a nook app...yet it is telling me it is.

As for twitter and spotify, I've tried uninstalling them but they keep being reinstalled!

Alsocwhat firmware are you on? I bought my nook used but im pretty sure it should be up to date...I'm running software version 2.1.1.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tastayy, I just received my Nook HD+ and set it up new this week, registering it and all. I am positive mine didn't have Evernote on it. In fact I just added Evernote, along with OneNote, last night from Google Play.

Out of the box, after registering the device, it had 2.1.1 on it.

BTW, anyone with OneNote should check out their Android app. Whereas in the past you had to pay $5 per device to get the full version, right now the app is totally free without any restrictions. You can sync as many notes on it as you have in your desktop version. No restrictions. And OneNote looks great on a 9" tablet.

--Pat
Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
toastayy
Nameless Being

Hey so I checked and I don't know what the problem is, but I am still having problems with the whole syncing/nook cloud situation. Since the topic switched to the Evernote app, I'll use that as an example.

The first image here shows the Evernote version I currently have, notice no "n" symbol indicating that it is a nook app.

The next pic is just the evernote version found in the nook store, which has the "n" symbol. This is just to verify that all nook apps do in fact carry the "n" symbol.

The last pic is me trying to update my NON-Nook version of Evernote in the playstore. The update downloads, and then it gives me that error message.

Luckily this is not the same thing happening with Spotify, since it is the nook version, but it refuses to remove itself from my tablet. Also the Twitter app also gives me the same error message, yet I don't even see it in the apps menu

No Idea what's going on here...but I need help lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my evernote version.png
Views:	535
Size:	695.0 KB
ID:	113997   Click image for larger version

Name:	evernote nook.png
Views:	652
Size:	871.8 KB
ID:	113998   Click image for larger version

Name:	evernote error.png
Views:	814
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	113999  
Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
PatNY
Zennist

toastayy, it looks like you might have installed the B&N store version of the Evernote app by yourself. It does not come on HD or HD+ devices by default.

To check, sign in to your account on the Barnes & Noble website. Then on the top of the web page, click on "My Nook." On the left-hand side under "My Library" click on "Apps." Does Evernote show up? If so, click the delete button underneath the app's icon. Then delete all instances of the app from your device and download a fresh copy from the Google Play store. The B&N version should not reappear anymore on your device and you should not get any more messages about the Evernote app.

As far as Twitter and Spotify, there's not much you can do about those pre-installed apps unless you put a new ROM on your device and wipe out the B&N interface. The only other alternative I can think of that might work is a root mod by leapinlar over at XDA. His latest root mod prevents B&N from updating the device's OS. It might also prevent them from reinstalling those few apps they pre-install. But once you get rid of that extra Evernote app, I don't think it's worth it to use the root mod just to attempt to get rid of the other few pre-installed apps. On my device, I rarely get a message about them, and it's no big deal to simply click on the message to make it go away.

I used leapinlar's root mod, but I purposely use the older version that doesn't include the B&N block, because the newer version also adds some sort of additional cyanogenmod graphic to the bootup sequence, and I didn't want that. The older mod works fine.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 10-29-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:41 AM   #10
Holliday
Holliday began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I used leapinlar's root mod, but I purposely use the older version that doesn't include the B&N block, because the newer version also adds some sort of additional cyanogenmod graphic to the bootup sequence, and I didn't want that. The older mod works fine.

--Pat
Which version? rev2 or rev1? Whould you happen to have this zip lying around?
Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holliday View Post
Which version? rev2 or rev1? Whould you happen to have this zip lying around?

I used rev2. I just uploaded it to zippyshare and sent you the link by PM.

If you already used rev3, you can't flash rev2 on top of it. You will first have to revert back to unrooted stock and then flash rev2.

Let me know if there are any issues with the download.

--Pat
Old 03-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
Holliday
Holliday began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I used rev2. I just uploaded it to zippyshare and sent you the link by PM.

If you already used rev3, you can't flash rev2 on top of it. You will first have to revert back to unrooted stock and then flash rev2.

Let me know if there are any issues with the download.

--Pat
Thanks for the response... I reached out to leap* over on the xda forums... I'm now setup the same way. Thanks!
Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote