Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #361
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
I also have a good one. Serial numbers start B024 1501.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #362
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Mine arrived this afternoon. I was fortunate enough to be able to use it for a few hours tonight, and I love it. There is a small blue "splotch " near the bottom/right. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for defects, and after reading a few pages I completely forgot it was there. I also noticed a few instances of bolder text, but it was minor. So far, I am very pleased, both with the Kindle and with the leather cover.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #363
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquele View Post
What I really dislike is that the LED seems to remain switched on, no matter what.
You can turn it off by touching and holding the light icon, actually, but it turns out that I actually do leave the light on all the time so far -- I just change the brightness setting. But it does have a switch.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #364
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskazimm View Post
I also have a good one. Serial numbers start B024 1501.
Mine is also a B024 1501 and has the light shadows as well as a screen bleed issue.

I honestly think the cones of light are just part of it. Even the kobo glow has it...

I think certain lighting conditions and levels conceal it better, but I would be surprised if it actually wasn't there..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #365
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
No problems. I love everything about it except the color. The solid black makes it look cheap. Amazon needs to offer some color options. The nicest looking Kindle to date is the Touch. Visually it's a class act. While the technology has gone forward, the styling has taken a 180.

The virtual keyboard seems easier to use than the Touch, except there's still a "p" key where every other keyboard in the world seems to put the backspace, and it's caused me numerous times on the Touch and now the Paperwhite to write "ppppp" when I meant to backspace to erase a word.

It may be my imagination, but page turns seem faster. And though it's a small thing, I do like the feature that tells you how much reading time you have left.

A great new feature I like, new to the Kindle, is the ability to translate non-English phrases into English. At the moment, the number of languages it recognizes is limited (here's hoping a future update includes Latin), but it's a nice start.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #366
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
...Also, first ad I was greeted with was a free $5 to Amazon mp3, so thats cool.
That was cool. I also asked to have the email sent for that.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #367
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I also have one whose S/N begins with B024 1501. There is some blotchiness on the screen, but adjusting the light levels seems to take care of most of it. The dark spots at the bottom are more pronounced and cannot be entirely neutralized by adjusting the lighting, but they don't much distract from a really compelling book. Reading in the dark is a far, far better experience on this Paperwhite at least than it is on the Touch using Amazon's lighted case.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #368
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just received my PW NSO and it is totally white on the screen with fonts totally black. Contrast is perfect and there are no blotches anywhere that I can see.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously, if people who feel they have "perfect" units could just snap a pic of the unit in their phone, with text on the screen and backlight all the way up, in normal indoor lighting conditions, that would be very helpful for those of us deciding whether to start the return merry-go-round.

I found this customer-image on Amazon, this is almost identical to the distribution pattern and intensity of the smudges of on mine (when lighting is up). So, mobileread users, would you return it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...totalImages=14

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-05-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #369
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously, if people who feel they have "perfect" units could just snap a pic of the unit in their phone, with text on the screen and backlight all the way up, in normal indoor lighting conditions, that would be very helpful for those of us deciding whether to start the return merry-go-round.
This is exactly what I'm talking off. If the screen isn't perfectly uniform at max settings in a dark room, that means that the product is defective? Ridiculous! I set my light so that the background looks white but the screen does not appear to glow. I don't use max setting ever, in a bright room I use half, in a dark room I use almost nothing.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #370
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
This is exactly what I'm talking off. If the screen isn't perfectly uniform at max settings in a dark room, that means that the product is defective?
Er, setting aside your straw-man argument technique, did you even look at the link/picture in my post?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #371
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Personally I'm feeling alright about continuing to use my mightybright ultraflex. The Kindle lighting does look like an improvement, but it's far from perfect and may come with downsides. Also it does appear that Amazon's advertising was misleading. They boasted a 20% increase in screen clarity. I think Harry T was excited about it. Doesn't seemed to have happened. Anyway, not time to upgrade yet. It's a shame because I would love to see a great in-built light without the disadvantages. I don't think this technology is ready, if it ever will be.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #372
Trauma Doll
Addict

Well, I finally had the 'derp' moment of realizing it was silly for me to wait around for more data from the Internets when the screen was really distracting me, so I did the troubleshooting script with Amazon support (they were pretty nice but it took a little longer than I expected--still, maybe the info-gathering will help in the big picture), and they're shipping me a replacement unit, EDD 10/9. Fingers crossed.

In other news, a second household order I placed on 9/25 has had its shipping date moved up from 10/25 to 10/19 as of this morning. Either they're getting ahead of production or demand has fallen off.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #373
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
You can turn it off by touching and holding the light icon, actually, but it turns out that I actually do leave the light on all the time so far -- I just change the brightness setting. But it does have a switch.
No, the light never goes totally off (unless the device is asleep). You don't even have to go into pitch-black to see it - just a fairly low-lit room.

And WRT photoshopping images - Amazon definitely did some work on the photos since most of them show nothing along the bottom of the screen - no percentage or locations! (Disclaimer - I was reamed out for saying this on the Amazon discussion boards - someone pointed out the photos might all be of a pre-production demo model that didn't show percentage & location, so it might not have been photoshopped. OK... either way, it's showing something other than what ships)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #374
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Regarding advertising techniques and photoshopping images: I know this is common practice, but (as I said somewhere earlier in this thread,) I've never felt misled by Amazon before, and I've owned a Kindle from almost every generation (and some Sonys and an Nook.) In this particular case, I felt overpromised by a company that, in my past experience, tended to meet or even exceed my expectations. (Granted, I never owned a Fire, so I can't speak to the expectation vs. reality of the browsing experience.) I'm just not sure what the best option is. I am leaning toward returning it and waiting for a while before ordering a new one (to see if things work themselves out.)
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #375
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I am noticing the blotches more, specially since I do most of my reading at night. Was I expecting perfection? No. Am I disappointed? Probably...at least a little, if not a lot. My blotches aren't as bad as some of the pictures I've seen here.

Having had the Nook Glow, I do prefer the KPW over the Nook. I find the lighting to be much more even with the Kindle. With the Nook, I saw various shades of brightness/darkness throughout the screen. With the Kindle, I only notice it in the bottom.

I do prefer the KPW over a lighted case. I find that even with it's issues, lighting is much more even with the KPW than with any lighted case or clip on light that I've ever used.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote