Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a better than average driver?
I am a very good driver. Among the very best there is. 12 19.67%
I am without doubt a better than average driver. 22 36.07%
I am just a little better than average driver. Most of the time. 11 18.03%
I am just a slightly worse than average driver. Usually. 4 6.56%
I am without doubt a worse than average driver. 2 3.28%
I am so bad at driving that I am surprised they let me. 2 3.28%
I don't drive. 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #46
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I always love these polls. It looks like the majority of drivers are above average.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #47
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm sorry that we can't see who voted how. I'd like to see who are the people who don't drive! I wonder why.
Well, some of us non-drivers are happy with the anonymity and prefer you not know who we are....

...d'oh!

I'm 40. Never had a license (Learner's Permit for 12 months...used twice, trying to learn...I was about 19). Haven't needed one. Enjoy being chauffeur-driven everywhere by The Loved One. Previously lived in inner-city and mostly walked or used public transport (trains). Starting to now develop a new desire to get license.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #48
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Ahh-hah! You want to play with that new shiny you showed us a while back!
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #49
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I find that most people lie about their driving ability.
Most people aren't qualified to operate their own zippers, let alone a motor vehicle.
I live in New York.
The City where good drivers wind up as fatalities.
That being said, I actually am an excellent driver.
Perfect, in fact.
It says so on my release papers:
"..is an extreme danger to others."
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #50
cegrundler
Enthusiast
cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
30+ years of driving north Jersey and NYC boroughs, most of them in a truck, I've never caused an accident though I've been struck by inattentive or careless drivers. I learned to drive in a commercial truck that I had to back through a curved ally with inches to either side to park each night; I can back a trailer through identical conditions. There's only one scuff on the original rims on the truck I've driven for 18 years; that was from when someone else borrowed it. I loathe driving anything that doesn't have a clutch, I can float my shifts and find drifting an entertaining way to parallel park (not that I regularly do it, but it is fun.) I was taught from the beginning that driving is serious business, and I take pride in my abilities. Do I think my driving is above average? When I see the distracted and unfocused drivers I share the road with, the answer, sadly, is yes.

Win a one-of-a-kind Kindle cover in the ‘Only in New Jersey’ Contest! http://cegrundler.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/njcover/
cegrundler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #51
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Ahh-hah! You want to play with that new shiny you showed us a while back!
That might be true..

Cheers,
Marc (and the other shiny too, if permitted )
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #52
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
In my new job, I actually will be driving more frequently than I used to. I like driving on long trips (cross country), but I don't like driving so much in town/city. When I lived in Seattle, I rarely drove, instead choosing to take the busy system everywhere. I love a good public transit! Take all the stress out of driving, give me back more hours in the day to work on stuff (while riding), and I'm a happy camper.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #53
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Given that I've never owned a car and it's 12(?) years since I got my driver's license, I think it's fairly safe to say that I'm not a better than average driver
On bicycle however, it's quite a different story
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #54
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Given that I've never owned a car and it's 12(?) years since I got my driver's license, I think it's fairly safe to say that I'm not a better than average driver
But you ARE better than average driver. You are supposed to claim that despite any evidence to the contrary. We all do! ;-)

Just point out that you have never had insurance claim on your vehicle.
Just tell them that your car has never EVER been involved in accident and was never stopped by police. Your car has never been caught on camera running red light or exceeding speed limit!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #55
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Public transport in the UK is absolute rubbish.
I can only speak to Paris, as it's the only place I've lived in Europe. I thought public transport there was quite good, but honestly I felt safer in Paris traffic than I did on the metro.

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #56
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
But you ARE better than average driver. You are supposed to claim that despite any evidence to the contrary. We all do! ;-)

Just point out that you have never had insurance claim on your vehicle.
Just tell them that your car has never EVER been involved in accident and was never stopped by police. Your car has never been caught on camera running red light or exceeding speed limit!
Of course! Thank you *kiss*
Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #57
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
nor been clamped, broken into, nor had a puncture or a light blown; and most importantly you've never run anyone over (in a car) and killed a hedgehog/rabbit/pheasant/deer [delete as applicable]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #58
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
nor been clamped, broken into, nor had a puncture or a light blown; and most importantly you've never run anyone over (in a car) and killed a hedgehog/rabbit/pheasant/deer [delete as applicable]
I think that deserves another *kiss*
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #59
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
:blushes:
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #60
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I'm slightly better than the average driver. I know this because I follow all the rules of driving (well, sometimes I fudge on that speed limit one) and I seem to be one of the only ones who do...
Sorry to burst your bubble! So am I...

I don't speed, never have gotten a speeding ticket (or any other ticket for that matter). I always use the signals to show that I'm changing lanes or that I'm going around the turn. I will stop for the red light. I won't try to crawl in the back of the car in front of me. And most importantly, I will try to drive the speed limit. Not above, not below. I hate those people who will slow down about 2km before they reach the traffic light. Or who will slow down because they want to leave the highway, while still on the highway (that's where those exit ramps are for!). Or simply will not drive the speed limit, but prefer to drive much slower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm sorry that we can't see who voted how. I'd like to see who are the people who don't drive! I wonder why.
I got my license 6 years ago. The only reason I did get it was because we wanted to move to a place out of town. Where public transport isn't that good. Where I lived at that time, I absolutely didn't need a car. It was faster to go to work by bike + train than by car. It was faster to go to town by bike than by car.

Where I live now, it's a 7km bike trip (10km by car) to the train station and from there a 40 minute train trip to work. While it's a 45 minute car trip. We do car pool, so we are trying to be careful with the environment...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote