Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Using Mobipocket Creator; link to table of contents

Is it possible to add a link at, say, the end of a chapter, that links back to table of contents? I'm creating the book using one html file per chapter, and would like to add a link back to the table of contents at the end of each chapter. I've been messing around with 'guides' but I'm not really sure what it is I'm doing.

Is this something that Mobipocket Creator can handle automatically or should I add some markup to the files?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't think I have ever seen explicit links at the end of chapters back to the TOC in a MOBI ebook. The reason for this is that MobiPocket Reader has a way to bring up the TOC at any point in the ebook. In the Windows version, select Contents -> Table of Contents. So the important step is to make sure your TOC is included in the guide items. In your case the TOC is presumably a separate HTML file. The current favorite approach seems to be to not include the TOC in the body of the reading flow at all (i.e. you must use the MOBI Reader to get to the TOC), or you can just link to the TOC at the start of the ebook (see the attached screenshot), or you can include the entire TOC near the start of the ebook (as well as in the guide). Badly formatted MOBIs either have no TOC, or only an in-line TOC (no guide item).

If you want to link back to the TOC, just include an explicit link in the HTML.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WMR_TOC1.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	28386  

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-03-2009 at 08:32 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Thank you I'll try to add an explicit link.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
BSquared18
BSquared18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Re: "If you want to link back to the TOC, just include an explicit link in the HTML. "

I'm trying to do the same thing. Could you provide the code that would be used for the link? I tried using "TOC" as the target in the tag, but that didn't work. I.e.,

<center><a href="#toc">Table of Contents</a><center>

Thanks,
Bill
BSquared18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think that should be "<a name="toc">Table of Contents</a>, then elsewhere in the file, "<a href="#toc">Jump to TOC</a> should take you there.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
BSquared18

"I think that should be "<a name="toc">Table of Contents</a>, then elsewhere in the file, "<a href="#toc">Jump to TOC</a> should take you there."

Yes, I agree that under normal conditions, that's the way to do it. The problem for me is that Mobipocket Creator (MPC) creates the table of contents, rather than it being manually created in the html file. MPC does a great job of creating the TOC, so I'd rather not take over that job.

So, my question is this: Is there a notation other than "toc" that can be used to point the link to? Or is that process not possible within the structure of MPC? The notation "toc" in <a href="#toc">Jump to TOC</a> doesn't work.

(By the way, whether to have the label read "Jump to TOC" or just "Table of Contents" is a matter of preference; however, I like your notation better than mine because it's more explicit.)

So, to conclude, does anyone know what language should be used instead of "toc" to go to a MPC-made TOC? Or can it be done at all?

Bill
Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think it can be done, unfortunately. You could always create a toc page manually; that's what I do with all my books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
BSquared18

Well, it was just an idea--not something essential.

BB

PS. I can always link it to the title page.

Last edited by BSquared18; 05-16-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think it can be done, unfortunately. You could always create a toc page manually; that's what I do with all my books.
Actually, I rather think it doesn't work as you've all mentioned simply because the mobi-built TOC is not IN the original html file or files. So, a simple href or # link wouldn't work; it would, instead, be something along the lines of:

Code:
<a href="mbp_toc.html">Jump to TOC</a>
Wouldn't it? We do it all the time in epubs, for anthologies (requested by authors, no matter how many times we point out the ubiquity of the TOC availability)...but that's a slightly different architecture, and we have the toc already handy for it...

In other words, I think it is not working quite simply because the method you're using presumes that the toc is a named element within the same html file, and it isn't; it's an altogether separate html file, and thus needs an external link to work within the ecosystem of the (packed) mobi. I've not tried this in specificity, because we gen our mobi's from epubs...but I use it occasionally w/MBPCreator on one-offs with other files, like copyright pages that are separate html files, within the Guide, and it works fine...I'd think this should work.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
BSquared18

"I'd think this should work."

Thanks, Hitch. I tested it, and it works perfectly!

Bill
Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lovely! Glad I could help. There was someone else on this board looking for the same thing...can't remember where I saw that post, though...

Hitch
Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
BSquared18

That might have been me. I made a post on the same topic before seeing this thread.

BB
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 AM   #13
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I'm really new with mobi and TOC. All my Chap headings are h1...so in the mobi "TOC Wizard"... I know I use h1 but what is the attribute and value? or do I leave it off. My Chapters in the html doc are wrapped <h1>Chapter #</h1>. I don't care about anything else for the TOC, just the h1 chapters. The Guide is beyond me right now. I'll save that for another post.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Just put h1 in there, nothing else. No brackets, no attributes...just the h1 (or whatever) tag.