Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #271
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2720 View Post
Mikeyboards..reset didn't do anything. Any luck on your end?
Actually, Drew, I forgot about this article I read recently... where Nathan indicated that weird problems (such as cover art not showing up) were solved by checking the date and time on the device! Have you double-checked that your Aura has the correct date and time for your area? (Odd as that may seem as a cause...).

Here's a link to the article:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-ebook-reader/
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #272
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I would really love to know where this slow page turns rumor started. The Aura does not have slow page turns! I don't have a Kindle but I'm tempted to take my Aura into the store and record a comparison video with the store's PW.
The Aura's page turns are slow compared to my Kindle Touch. In a side by side I can almost get a second page turn in on the Touch before the page turns on the Aura. As I said previously I don't know if this is related to specific books or what.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #273
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Super!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #274
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Aura's page turns are slow compared to my Kindle Touch. In a side by side I can almost get a second page turn in on the Touch before the page turns on the Aura. As I said previously I don't know if this is related to specific books or what.
I managed to find one condition that would cause slow page turns by using Sigil to merge all the separate files in the Text folder of the epub into a single file so instead of 47 files averaging 17Kbytes, I had a single 812Kbyte file.

This was also mentioned as an issue much earlier and the recommendation was to split the file into smaller files at chapter breaks -- the chapter break part comes up since the ereader will break and continue on a new page at the end of file/start of new file transition.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #275
drew2720
Connoisseur
drew2720 began at the beginning.

Device: K2i, K3, DXG, PW2, Sony prs650/350,KoboMini/AuraHD
Mikeyboards, thank you for the interesting article, but no, my aura has had the correct time/date since setup. I am going to download other books that I have that aren't from the library and see if I get any covers. Thank you for all your help!
drew2720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #276
drew2720
Connoisseur

Mikeyboards, just saw your other post... I'm getting a blank screen outlined in black on both the home screen and after I open the book. All the text is there, just not the cover art. The books are by Jo Nesbo: Devil's Star and Redbreast. Thanks again for your help and suggestions!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #277
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I'm hoping that eventually DecalGirl or Gelaskins will add the Aura to their list of supported products.
DecalGirl has told me they have added the Aura to their list and to check their website in about 3-4 weeks. It may be a good solution for the back of the Aura.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #278
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Mikeyboards, just saw your other post... I'm getting a blank screen outlined in black on both the home screen and after I open the book. All the text is there, just not the cover art. The books are by Jo Nesbo: Devil's Star and Redbreast. Thanks again for your help and suggestions!
Drew, I just tried downloading a Jo Nesbo epub from Axis 360. (Our library system didn't have the 2 titles you mentioned, but I found "The Leopard" from around the same time period.) Although I do get the cover art... most of the time... I noticed it's much smaller than any of the other books I have on my device, including the Horowitz one I'd recently downloaded from Axis 360. The cover art from the Nesbo book only takes up, oh... maybe a third of the top half of the screen or something. (Not looking at it now.) It is always visible if I open the book to its very first page (the cover page), though it varies as to whether the cover art shows up when put to sleep. (I think the more often I open and close, wake and sleep, etc., the more consistently the cover art shows up upon sleeping.)

I assume that in your Settings, under "Light, sleep and power" you have "Show current book cover" checked. (And maybe you can play with whether "Full screen" is checked or not, and whether it makes a difference.) Still, those settings shouldn't disallow your viewing of the cover art within the book itself!

Maybe another thing to look at is whether the thumbnail for the cover art in your case is in the same place as mine. When I connect my Aura, and open the icon that shows up on my Mac desktop, I see a bunch of folders. I go to "Digital Editions" to find the stuff that, I think, has been brought in via ADE. Within that Digital Editions folder is a Thumbnails folder, which contains different folders for different books (usually named by author). However, the library loans from Axis 360 show up instead as free-floating files amongst those folders. I see "Leopard (9780307958778).epub.png", and I can open (double-click) that and see the cover art in the Preview function on my Mac.

Are you seeing the same type of thing for the Nesbo books you've downloaded?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #279
drew2720
Connoisseur

Mikeyboards, downloaded another Jo Nesbo bk and a bk. not from the library and both have book covers on aura. Go figure. Maybe something wrong with library's formatting of the other Jo Nesbo books? Just glad my aura is working properly...sigh.............

p.s. yes, the one Jo Nesbo cover is quite smaller than the one I have for the non-library book and I have both 'show current book cover' and 'full screen' checked.

Last edited by drew2720; 05-05-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #280
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Quote:
Just glad my aura is working properly...sigh.............
Yay! That's the bottom line
At least we (or others who read this) will have a heads-up if they encounter the same inconsistencies.
And now you (and I) can get back to reading, without those nagging questions lingering!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #281
drew2720
Connoisseur

lol...ain't that the true...Happy Reading and thank you again!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #282
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
DecalGirl has told me they have added the Aura to their list and to check their website in about 3-4 weeks. It may be a good solution for the back of the Aura.
That's great news, Skydog!

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #283
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
I have another thing I don't like about the aura. The plastic could be better. It feels kinda cheap. It would be nice if the back was the same as my standard Kindle or my nexus 7. This is kind of a small complaint, though. I imagine someone here will find a suitable skin that adds sufficient texture to the back.
While awaiting a good solution for a textured back (gel-skin, whatever) to make the back of the Aura less slippery, I remembered there was a clear sheet over the screen when the device first arrived. I dug it up and slapped it on the back of the device (where it covers most, though of course not all of the back area). It actually adds a smidgen of texture/resistance, making the back ever so slightly less slippery. Though it doesn't look wonderful (is hard to get rid of bubbles, etc.), it's adhering well enough naturally, and I'm sure won't leave any residue when removed. (I don't know if it's a combination of static and microbubbles or what that makes those thin protective shipping sheets stick, but they're nicely reusable.)
I normally read in bed in the dark, so nobody's noticing that it looks a little funny
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #284
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Does anyone know how to avoid that extra bit of space on the bottom of the page that seems to randomly pop up sometimes? I can't seem to figure out where it comes from or why it happens. I tried the widows and orphans CSS in calibre, but it didn't seem to really fix it. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to fix it, if possible.

Last edited by evanft; 05-08-2013 at 12:09 AM.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #285
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Look for discussions on Widows and Orphans in these 'ere forums
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote