Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Yep, Eastern Standard Time in Sydney, Australia, right oh!!

So, hmmm, Kobo needs to explain where they're talking about and use GMT imo.
Given that Kobo is located in eastern Canada, the UTC-5 would be the most probable choice for converting EST. Asides, I was under the impression that Australian timezones are prefixed with an A so would be AEST/AEDT for Sydney, Australia.

The idea of time zones was popularized by a Canadian (Sanford Fleming may have been born in Scotland but we'll still claim him as Canadian). I've seen the original suggestion for time zones credited to an Italian -- Quirico Filopanti, though he never seemed to do anything to popularize his ideas after writing them up and there is no evidence that Sir Sandford ever read that book.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Given that Kobo is located in eastern Canada, the UTC-5 would be the most probable choice for converting EST. Asides, I was under the impression that Australian timezones are prefixed with an A so would be AEST/AEDT for Sydney, Australia.

The idea of time zones was popularized by a Canadian (Sanford Fleming may have been born in Scotland but we'll still claim him as Canadian). I've seen the original suggestion for time zones credited to an Italian -- Quirico Filopanti, though he never seemed to do anything to popularize his ideas after writing them up and there is no evidence that Sir Sandford ever read that book.

Regards,
David
Thank you David for those interesting tidbits.

So if Kobo gave out the information about which time zone they were using, and from my perspective GMT, then you and I wouldn't need to have this chat re applicable time zones. EST is the acronym I use to describe time in Aus. (We have a number of operational time zones here)

Kobo is working in an international interactive web environment, and as a business practice needs to acknowledge that it doesn't operate in a time vacuum relative to certain geographical customers and not other customers.

I regard Kobo as a Japanese company that may or may not have employees in many different countries, and I shouldn't have to try and work out which country was responsible for making statements re time of their web re-opening.

BTW, the reason I went to the Kobo.com website was to search for books that fitted an email offer that I had received from them.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-18-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert