Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #391
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by por View Post
I think LuBiB is an Ectaco undercover agent and there is no new firmware yet
HAHAHAHAA yes. They send me Ectaco black/white suits (why not color to match my jetbook - i dont know) and matching sunglasses - nothing could ever top that job

BTW, here's the e-mail with the link they sent me; now i've tried accessing it as im posting now but it doesnt take me to the download anymore it just takes me to the Downloads Page on jetbook.net, let me know if anyone else can access:

P.S - I'll also be posting the scribble pics for Andy in the next post

They added a few things that weren't on their blog too:

Hi!

The time has come and we know you are all excited about it - here is the March 1st update and what it entails.

Enjoy, and below some of the cool new features:

New Localizations and Language Menus:

Russian
Ukrainian
German
Japanese
English
Spanish
Portuguese

Other Features and Functions:

+ Workbook Scribbling, underlining and freehand writing on PDF and DJVU files
+ Objects of art and Music notes moved to user accessible area
+ DJVU support in reader
+ CPen support
+ Reader: double click on top and bottom arrows to jump pages
+ TTS (Text to Speech) function activated
+ Crossword ESC fix
+ Reflow mode in Reader for PDFs
+ HW keys for Language Teacher microphone (long press activates recording)
+ LEFE and Let’s Talk American books into Classwork and Homework section (Russian JBC only)
+ Other minor bug fixes
+ Single click with stylus to open books and menu options

Click here to download the latest update for your jetBook Color.

*IMPORTANT NOTE* - Make sure to backup all your books to your computer as they may be deleted when the update is initiated. You will then be able to reload them to the device after.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #392
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
^ nope, link not working for me...

guess they only limit you downloading from a specific time or num of tries
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #393
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Scribbling Feature

OK, so here is the scribbling feature from the new update. I'll list the steps on how to access it below with the pictures. The update says it also works with DJVU files but since i have none I've used one of my old Excel homeworks and converted it to PDF. Here's what I got below:

The Excel File converted to PDF (it's old, i know lol):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	789.6 KB
ID:	83443

The new menu after pressing the 'Menu' key. The 3 new features added that work are Speak (reads the text to you), Stylus Mode (Scribbling, highlighting and erasing - i'll post the pics below) and Reflow (FINALLY!):

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	648.7 KB
ID:	83444

Accessing the Stylus mode:

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	896.8 KB
ID:	83445

My 'le drawings' on the PDF:

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	725.6 KB
ID:	83446

You can write anywhere on the file as quickly as you want and it will recognize it (if you draw too fast it will take about a half second to catch up - good thing is that it does catch up lol)

After you lift the stylus away from the screen for about 4 seconds there will be a small "Saving" icon in the middle of the screen that saves the text - lasts about 2 seconds then disappears.

You can then access the drawn on file anytime. It will save it on the device so even if you open other documents it will still keep the scribbling on wherever you've scribbled.

I'll post more about the features when I actually get a chance to play around with them more

They do look interesting and this drawing feature was what I (and most likely @PF4Mobile ) was looking for

***and a quick note - touching the screen once to go into files finally works lol
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #394
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
They do look interesting and this drawing feature was what I (and most likely @PF4Mobile ) was looking for

***and a quick note - touching the screen once to go into files finally works lol
is the scribbling saved ONTO the pdf (i.e. if i offload the pdf back to my computer, a valid PDF reader will render the scribblings too? or it is saved on another file, which means finding a compatible PDF reader on the PC is difficult)

but I agree.... scribbling is a huge plus, esp since it has an accurate touch mechanism (vs an infrared touch approach)
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #395
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I was also looking for highlighting, underlining et comp.
Please post a PDF with all these in one or two pages
I would like to see if they are available on the desktop and what can be done with them
does the highlighted text get copied as a comment as well?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #396
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
is the scribbling saved ONTO the pdf (i.e. if i offload the pdf back to my computer, a valid PDF reader will render the scribblings too? or it is saved on another file, which means finding a compatible PDF reader on the PC is difficult)

but I agree.... scribbling is a huge plus, esp since it has an accurate touch mechanism (vs an infrared touch approach)
Good question. Haven't tried loading it back to my comp yet but will def see if that's possible.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #397
Komandor
Komandor began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Color
So if somehow I sell my Jetbook Color now, the person who buys it will not even be able to download upgrade, since I will receive my "personal" download link. That's right, let's make things complicated! Way to go, Ectaco...
Komandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #398
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I was also looking for highlighting, underlining et comp.
Please post a PDF with all these in one or two pages
I would like to see if they are available on the desktop and what can be done with them
does the highlighted text get copied as a comment as well?
AND here's another finding, you can highlight and draw in PDF's simultaneously.

The highlighting is still used as a "Mark for Summary" but to make it stick i suggest just underlining what you want to focus on:

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	926.6 KB
ID:	83447
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #399
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komandor View Post
So if somehow I sell my Jetbook Color now, the person who buys it will not even be able to download upgrade, since I will receive my "personal" download link. That's right, let's make things complicated! Way to go, Ectaco...
That's too tedious - no one would ever customize links for people unless it's a personal message.

I'm sure the site or download link is down or something along those lines. That, to me, seems like a more likely situation.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #400
Komandor

Here is you link man:

http://www.jetbook.net/jetbookcolor/update/user122782
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #401
LeftyRight
LeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4 NT
LuBiB

Can you test the language feature for me mate.

The one where it translates from Russian into English and vice versa.

With the new languages added does it now have German to English and vice versa ?

cheers

LeftyRight
LeftyRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #402
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komandor View Post
Here is you link man:

http://www.jetbook.net/jetbookcolor/update/user122782
If you check the link below
http://jetbook.net/update you will see that all users can upgrade
their jetbook, jetbook lite and jetbook mini ereaders even if you purchased it on ebay. I think they will do the same for jetBook Color.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #403
Komandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
If you check the link below
http://jetbook.net/update you will see that all users can upgrade
their jetbook, jetbook lite and jetbook mini ereaders even if you purchased it on ebay. I think they will do the same for jetBook Color.

Eventually. Hopefully. But like I said my buyer won't get it until that time (who knows when...) or have to call Ectaco. Very customer friendly...
Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #404
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post

LuBiB, according to this video you are note alone who received a new jetBook Color version with drawing feature

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #405
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post

I presume annotations are being written onto an annotation layer, not included on PDF's. I've seen some companies using similar techniques, because the reader is a reader, and need a special license to edit pdf's.

So in my opinion it'll be a reader of PDF's storing bookmarks and annotations in a separate file.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, jetbook color review