Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #136
amelco
amelco began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoek View Post
@amelco :
I don't have the same check sum : mine is c43916821b27507a3794e9bbcd2cd47d (after several try)
What is the name of your file ? the dropbox link on the first page is for : OBUNTU.update-20130717.tar.gz

Do you have the same file ? If it is not the same, could you give a link towards your file please !

Thanks a lot !
I have the file: OBUNTU.update-20130816.tar.gz
It is another file, so the md5sum can't be the same.

Edit:
Link to the file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0130816.tar.gz

Last edited by amelco; 12-20-2013 at 08:59 AM.
amelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #137
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
У файла 060713.tar.bz2 сумма a2bcb7cd2c4df63a8258fbb3cda1be46,
а у файла OBUNTU.update-20130816.tar.gz сумма 9d83e3d776206ad3e8bf154b9dd1e2af
Вот ссылка на 0816 http://yadi.sk/d/M1jRQbxK8KSae

Last edited by Kirith; 12-20-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #138
geoek
Enthusiast
geoek began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hey ! Thanks a lot Amelco and Kirith for your help !

I think it would be very usefull to update the first page with the correct link !

I will try the installation this afternoon

EDIT : It's ok !!! Thanks a lot for your help

Last edited by geoek; 12-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.
geoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #139
pvdas
Enthusiast
pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Boox i86ML Plus
Cannot update Onyx with Obuntu installed

@ seaniko
As other people already asked: How to update Onyx shell with built OBUNTU? "Update ONYX" menu does not work and I would like to install the new firmware on it and do not know how to. I didn't see the answer for this question on this forum, but if you already posted the answer, then sorry.

Thank you.
pvdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #140
phyzjqk
Connoisseur
phyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Max2/SP4:Dell x50v /Iliad /Nokia:
Although the idea is pretty cool, it is almost useless due to the weak hardware. Try to install the Firefox, Chromium Browser. The installations are smooth but the versions are too outdated to be practical. Even I can not open the Hotmail or Google Mail. The Google Docs takes forever to load the file I want. DO NOT expect too much! But still thank seaniko for his great job

Last edited by phyzjqk; 01-24-2014 at 09:03 AM.
phyzjqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #141
edddh
edddh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX / Nook Touch
Hi all, I have read your posts and I am wondering if it is worth a try installing Obuntu to achieve the following:

- install VNC viewer on Obuntu
- connect a PC with Windows/Linux and VNC server to the M92
- use M92 as a secondary screen for the PC
- use the touch stylus to select/drag objects on the PC desktop

(it would make the VNC much more effective since the mouse on the PC is usually slow and not very usable in this configuration)

Does this make sense?

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies!
edddh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #142
phyzjqk
Connoisseur
phyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Max2/SP4:Dell x50v /Iliad /Nokia:
The answer is yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by edddh View Post
Hi all, I have read your posts and I am wondering if it is worth a try installing Obuntu to achieve the following:

- install VNC viewer on Obuntu
- connect a PC with Windows/Linux and VNC server to the M92
- use M92 as a secondary screen for the PC
- use the touch stylus to select/drag objects on the PC desktop

(it would make the VNC much more effective since the mouse on the PC is usually slow and not very usable in this configuration)

Does this make sense?

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies!
Firstly, the version of Ubuntu is pretty old for ARM CPU. A lot of stuffs don't work. Although conceptually is ok, you should try.
Secondly, the CPU is too weak to do job physically. Very slow, you will lose your patient.
phyzjqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 AM   #143
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
I would like to ask those who have some news about this, and in particular to Seaniko7, if the project of ubuntu has been abandoned or if there is a chance for new updates. I personally really hope that there are ...
To all those who use the current version of ubuntu I would ask, as already done long ago:
- How do you figure out the battery life? What kind of gauge do you use? I am not able to find one that works ...
- To read PDF and documents you prefer to use ubuntu or the original firmware?
I believe that with some improvement in the display (gray scale) reading would be ok.
Many thanks to those who want to answer and sorry for automatic translation.
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #144
hickathmoc
hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.

Device: M92 black pearl
Discontinuing of Obuntu project (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpiano View Post
I would like to ask those who have some news about this, and in particular to Seaniko7, if the project of ubuntu has been abandoned or if there is a chance for new updates. I personally really hope that there are ...
To all those who use the current version of ubuntu I would ask, as already done long ago:
- How do you figure out the battery life? What kind of gauge do you use? I am not able to find one that works ...
- To read PDF and documents you prefer to use ubuntu or the original firmware?
I believe that with some improvement in the display (gray scale) reading would be ok.
Many thanks to those who want to answer and sorry for automatic translation.
I fear that yes it is abandoned… Anyway my opinion is that M92+Linux is THE killer combination! I'm using Obuntu 80% over 20% of Onyx for academic books reading and i can take notes, switch easily between apps (Xournal, Evince, Evopedia, Diogenes) etc.

- For the battery the only solution is to switch off Obuntu and boot to Onyx

- For the media keys i can help a little

xmodmap -e "keycode 204 = KP_Down"
xmodmap -e "keycode 198 = KP_Up"
xmodmap -e "keycode 200 = KP_Left"
xmodmap -e "keycode 201 = KP_Right"
xmodmap -e "keycode 205 = KP_Page_Down"
xmodmap -e "keycode 199 = KP_Page_Up"

put all these in a bash script make it executable and put it to /usr/bin. Make also a .desktop entry in ~/config/autostart and reboot !

Finally, it's a pity that THEY (i mean ONYX) have abandoned their product in a way like this (not a single word of anything for so long)…

Last edited by hickathmoc; 03-19-2014 at 05:26 AM.
hickathmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #145
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Onbutu is not project of Onyx. It is the project of one of the users.

IMO Onyx have put quite a lot effort in improving M92. It is more than 2 years old product (meaning prehistoric old, in these days) and still last firmware is only few months old and with many improvements.

Needless to say, some improvements and removing of bugs is still needed. :-)
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #146
hickathmoc
hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.

Linux+M92

Ah, an answer…
First things first, i know that Obuntu isn't an ONYX project, it's Seaniko7's. Obviously for some reason (ONYX ?) he shows no sign of existence... In my opinion his sudden silence is not normal. Perhaps the whole project is a "trick" of ONYX to see the acceptance of the idea e-ink+Linux.
Secondly you are telling me that M92 is a "prehistoric" machine 2 years old! I don't know if this is a new kind of joke… If it is, it is of a bad taste. I'm from Greece and I have bought M92 6 months ago for almost 300€, and i can see that this is it's price today. Believe me 300€ in Greece today is 2/3 of a month's salary...
Thirdly, it was ONYX, by request of seaniko7, that told us about porting Linux to M92, and continuing supporting it after the arrival of the new model (M96?). I'm telling you I have shown my M92+Obuntu to people and they said to me that they are most interested. As I have said to my previous post M92+Linux is a killer combination! I don't want to be rude, only to point that the machine has potence to become something worth buying. For 300€ we buy 256Mb Ram and ARM7 CPU, so it must be something else that may attract buyers (and, yes, this is Linux, NOT Android).
Finally in all this thread there is -still- no good HOW TO install Obuntu. Maybe tomorrow i write one...
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #147
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Hi guys.

Sorry for no response recently.

Project might seem to be abandoned, but it is not. I intend to work on it further, even sacrificing other ones I'm involved in. However for the time being, I need to get around with some aspects of my personal life ( work + evening studies round-the-clock ).

As soon as I get some chunks of free time, I will work on making project documentation, so others can be involved in development and improvement, which I believe can bring huge momentum and help to move towards next targets ( next Onyx devices ). Any suggestions are welcome !

IMO eReaders + Linux, as others mentioned is the right combination, because it allows one to fully embrace capabilities of these devices, even the "slower" ones.

I hope ONYX will show support for our intention of developing additional OS alongside their own, which might bring outstanding possibilities for end user in future.

Again, sorry for being so silent recently and please for little patience.

Thanks
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #148
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
@Hickathmoc
Yes, M92 is not cheap device and yes it still has considerable potential. But it is more than 2 years old and in the field of electronic gadgets that means it is quite old.

The development in that field is that fast, that capabilities are generally doubled in two years. That is the trend. We may like it, we may dislike it, but we cannot stop and/or ignore the progress of technology.

I do not know, if Onyx likes or dislikes Seaniko's work. I guess they should more appreciate it than dislike it. But there might be some legal issues, copyright for device drivers and so on... I welcome Seaniko's work, even thought I've never used Linux and I do not know if I ever will.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #149
hickathmoc

How to install Obuntu

The FINAL HOW TO install Obuntu ;)
Spoiler:

Everything here is for the 'obuntu_install_20130817.oar' and 'OBUNTU.update-20130717.tar.gz' version of seaniko7 Obuntu.

1. If you have M92 Black Pearl, it is the polish thing with TTS IVONA, (if not, jump to step 2) you must wipe out first the 'Polish' firmware (it is absolutely safe, but after that no more IVONA !), and install the 'normal' firmware (found at http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads), the procedure is simple :

a. download the Mfgtools-Rel-11.10.19_ER_MX50_ UPDATER.rar (google for it, it is a win program) and run it . If you follow the program's instructions correctly you will have a "clean" M92 ready for "normal" firmware update.

b. update with the new firmware from your sd card. Now you are ready for Obuntu.

2. It is best for the Obuntu project to use a 16 gb class 10 sd card, but anyhow at least must be 4 gb. I'm using a 16 gb card. Place seaniko7's 'obuntu_install_20130817.oar' in your sd card and run it. Reboot M92 by pressing the joystick+power button. In the (new) menu press the 2nd option : 'Update Obuntu' and wait for a while, because actually what takes place is the partitioning of your sd card ! The M92 reboots to ONYX firmware. Close it.

3. Now everything that we'll do, needs a Linux box. Place your sd, for your convenience, in a card reader. After it is mounted, open the terminal and give:

Code:
fdisk -l
the result is something like this :

Code:
Disk /dev/sde: 15.7 GB, 15707668480 bytes
 4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 479360 cylinders
 Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Device Boot	     Start       End            Blocks       	Id   	System
/dev/sde1             320       14079           440320     	83   	Linux
/dev/sde2           14080       15103           32768           83      Linux
/dev/sde3           15104       46354      	1000032     	83   	Linux
/dev/sde4           46355      120832     	2383296     	83   	Linux
'sde' is your sd card, it may be 'sdc', 'sdb' etc.
now type :

Code:
fdisk  /dev/sde
and you have :

Code:
The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 479360.
 There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
 and could in certain setups cause problems with:
 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs    
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK) 

Command (m for help):  d
Partition number (1-4): 4
Command (m for help):  p

Command (m for help): n
Command action
    e   extended
    p   primary partition (1-4)
p
Selected partition 4 First cylinder (1-479360, default 1): 46355
 Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (46355-479360, default 479360):  Using default value 479360  
Command (m for help):  p

/dev/sde4           46355      479360     	13856192     	83   	Linux  

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 13: Permission denied. The kernel still uses the old table.
The new table will be used at the next reboot. Syncing disks.
Now I must explain what happened: the default partitioning of seaniko7 makes a 2gb partition, it is the sde4. But our card is 16gb ! So we must resize it to the real capacity of the card ! first we delete the sde4 and then recreate it with the full of the capacity ! With the last command 'w' we rewrite the partition table. Now reboot. Open again the terminal and shoot :

Code:
sudo umount /media/disk
then type :

Code:
e2fsck -f /dev/sde4
after a little while the result :

Code:
e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
 Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
 Pass 2: Checking directory structure
 Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
 Pass 4: Checking reference counts
 Pass 5: Checking group summary information /dev/sdc4: 11/148960 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 9365/595824 blocks
Now type:
Code:
sudo resize2fs /dev/sde4
after a little while the result :

Code:
resize2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
 Resizing the filesystem on /dev/sdc4 to 3464048 (4k) blocks.
 The filesystem on /dev/sdc4 is now 3464048 blocks long.
Now our partition is resized and ready for Obuntu ! Reboot again. Now let say your OBUNTU.update-20130717.tar.gz is on ~/Desktop of your linux box, type :

Code:
sudo tar -pxzvf ~/Desktop/OBUNTU.update-20130717.tar.gz -C /media/disk
Where '/media/disk' is your sd card. You're done, wait to be copied all the Obuntu contents to your sd card ! After that put the sd toy your M92, press joystick+power on and select

Boot Obuntu

Enjoy! :)

p.s.1 for backup of your new Obuntu, go to your linux box unmount the sd card and in terminal type:
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/sde4 bs=1024 | gzip> ~/Desktop/sd.bin.gz
for restore, type :
Code:
gzip -dc ~/Desktop/sd.bin.gz | dd of=/dev/sde4 bs=1024
p.s. 2 Of course friends, you understand that now we have a dual boot M92! Obuntu is in the sd card, while ONYX firmware 'inside'.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-11-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #150
eb00ker
Connoisseur
eb00ker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG / Onyx Boox M92 / M96 / C67 AFTERGLOW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickathmoc View Post
3. Now everything that we'll do, needs a Linux box. Place your sd, for your convenience, in a card reader. After it is mounted, open the terminal and give:
hello hickathmoc,

thanks for your tutorial concerning installing Ubuntu on M92.
I want to get the maximum out of my device, so i am very eager to install it.

But honestly, I'm a Win7 User and i have no clue how to open a terminal on a "Linux box" ?
I don't even own a Linux OS. So do I have to install some kind for it? Is there like an emulator available which runs on Windows7?

Would you mind explaining me step by step how exactly I need (which linux version or whatsoever) to get prepared before I can actually start entering your listed commands?

It would be much appreciated.
and sorry for the noobish questions.

eb00ker is offline   Reply With Quote