Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Behavior PW with a cover for SO vs. without SO when resuming reading

I've seen some discussion in other threads but wanted to see if we can get a definitive answer to this as I've seen conflicting reports. I have a PW with offers and want to understand how things change for $20 to remove them in the following conditions:
  1. After closing the cover when reading and then opening the cover I am brought to the offers screen saver. I have to swipe to get into the book.
  2. After pushing the power button to turn off the book and then using the power button to turn it back on (no closing the cover), I am also brought to the SO screen saver and have to swipe.
  3. After pushing the power butting to turn off the book and then closing the cover and opening it I am still brought to the SO screen saver and have to swipe.

Bottom line is that no matter what I have to look at the ad and swipe before I can get back to reading. For those that don't have SOs, do you have the same behavior (with a screen saver replacing the SO) or do you go right into the books? I'm thinking it may be a design thing to prevent the Kindle from changing pages if the cover opens by mistake but don't want to rule out that they are focused on making me look at the ads and for $20 I could avoid the swipe. Understand it is not a big deal but I kind of like the idea that the Kindle could behave just like a paper book when you open it (e.g. - just start reading).

Last edited by Greg G; 10-03-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I originally purchased the Kindle with SO and saw the same as you mentioned above. After paying $20 to remove the ad, I can open the cover and it goes directly to the book (or home page). If I press the power button to turn off and on the Kindle, it also takes me straight to the book I was reading.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
They are in effect paying you $20 to look at the ads so why wouldn't they make sure you did.
The ads don't bother me. It's having to swipe the page to go to the book when I bought the new cover to turn on the reader and begin reading immediately. No big deal. I went ahead and paid the $20 to unsubscribe to the special offers.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
They are in effect paying you $20 to look at the ads so why wouldn't they make sure you did.
The ads don't bother me. It's having to swipe the page to go to the book when I bought the new cover to turn on the reader and begin reading immediately. No big deal. I went ahead and paid the $20 to unsubscribe to the special offers.
My thoughts exactly. I've had SO Kindles for as long as SO Kindles were available. It's the swipe that bothers me.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Thanks for the feedback! I actually don't mind the ads as much as I thought I would. I had ordered without SO but changed it to move my delivery up a week. For $20 I can avoid the swipe. That is what I wanted to know! I assume they still spam you on the home page with a row of best sellers even after you remove ads right?

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
If that bothers you, you can choose "List View" like on previous Kindles.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
EDIT: Nevermind

Last edited by iJn; 10-03-2012 at 01:33 PM.
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
When first I heard about the covers that turn on your book when you open them, I thought: 1. genius! 2. but then the people who own Special Offers Kindles will never see the offers! Heh heh, I guess Amazon solved THAT problem.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
I assume they still spam you on the home page with a row of best sellers even after you remove ads right?
Yes, they do.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wouldn't mind the popular/recommended books being shown in the Store view, but forcing them on the Home page and thus allowing only enough room for three of our book covers is really annoying.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wouldn't mind the popular/recommended books being shown in the Store view, but forcing them on the Home page and thus allowing only enough room for three of our book covers is really annoying.
Agreed. This bugs me too. I'm hoping at some point there will be a software update and they'll give us the option to remove it. I believe they did that with the Fire HD.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yeah, I could care less if they want to do it in the store.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I'm not so bothered by the need to swipe to start reading after opening the cover on the case, probably because my Nexus 7 works exactly the same way. It too has the option of turning on via magnetic cover, and it too has to be swiped to unlock when such a cover is opened and the device turns on. This is distinctly different from the iPad, which turns on and goes directly to the home screen when you open a magnetic cover.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
I'm not so bothered by the need to swipe to start reading after opening the cover on the case, probably because my Nexus 7 works exactly the same way. It too has the option of turning on via magnetic cover, and it too has to be swiped to unlock when such a cover is opened and the device turns on. This is distinctly different from the iPad, which turns on and goes directly to the home screen when you open a magnetic cover.
FYI you can disable the lock screen on the Nexus 7 if you want to so opening the cover brings you right to the home screen.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
FYI you can disable the lock screen on the Nexus 7 if you want to so opening the cover brings you right to the home screen.
Yes, I know, and I should do that if I ever can remember to. :-) Kind of became a habit, like I'm sure it will with the PW.

Edit: And, I should add, on the Nexus 7 there's some added benefit of the lock screen, like having music controls accessible. It's actually quicker to pause music in opening the cover and hitting the pause button on the lock screen, then it would be to pull down the notifications bar and hit pause there.

However, back on point: it might end up being worth $20 to "unlock" the PW, but so far it's not been much of a bother.

Last edited by wynand32; 10-03-2012 at 06:20 PM.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote