Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Saint Patricks Day Recommendations

Faith and begob, 'tis another Saint Paddys day.
Does anybody have any recommendations for books by or about the Irish or Ireland? I'm interested in any books about the Troubles ( although strictly speaking that would be about Northern Ireland , not the Republic of).

Anyway, may the road rise up to meet ya, this day!
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Read the J.D. Robb In Death series. One of the main characters is Irish from Ireland.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
In honor of St. Patrick's day, I'm reading Carmilla by the Irish author Joseph Sheridan le Fanu.

I was going to recommend The Little Country by Charles de Lint, but as I was grabbing the Goodreads link I realized it takes place in Cornwall, not Ireland.

Last edited by AndrewH; 03-17-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Because.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Not necessarily what you are looking for but Jack Higgins comes to mind.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
In honor of St. Patrick's day, I'm reading Carmilla by the Irish author Joseph Sheridan le Fanu.

I was going to recommend The Little Country by Charles de Lint, but as I was grabbing the Goodreads link I realized it takes place in Cornwall, not Ireland.
Carmilla? It's St. Patrick's Day, not Halloween!

ETA: How about Trinity, by Leon Uris?

Last edited by Catlady; 03-17-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Carmilla? It's St. Patrick's Day, not Halloween!
LOL, I know, I know. I couldn't think of anything in my library that is Irish, only works by Irish authors (and Carmilla was already on my ereader).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
You have to.......

You must read "The Great Irish Potatoe Famine" by Donnely, the definitive tome.

And, while definitely not about the troubles, but very funny/interesting/informative - everything really - fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Anna_Somerville

And for a modern laugh... "The Irish Country Doctor" by Patrick Taylor.

Sadly I don't think the Taylor works are digitised yet, but the Sommerville & Ross are on Gutenberg, and I don't know about the Donnelly - but it deserves a place on the shelf for anyone interested in Irish history.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It's not available in ebook, but I'll suggest Titanic Town,by Mary Costello, a semi-autobiographical coming-of-age novel set in Belfast during the Troubles.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Year of the French by Thomas Flanagan about the 1789 rebellion is excellent. I don't think it's an ebook though.

Also, I would recommend Ireland:A Novel by Frank Delaney and Darby O'Gill and the Good People by Herminie Templeton Kavanagh.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Sebastian barry has written several novels about the Troubles, mainly set in the South, and from the viewpoint of Protestant Irish persons

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...cret-scripture

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..._Eneas_McNulty

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..._Long_Long_Way
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote